Spring Has Sprung!

Bigbend, I guess I would rather spring come in slowly. The last couple years, we had above average temps in the late winter/spring, and the apple trees blossomed, and then winter decided to show that it wasnt over yet.
Even being all the way down in north Florida you better bet I'm holding my breath a bit... and crossing my fingers and toes. Next couple of weeks do look cooler for us... but thankfully not too much so. 80s/60s days we've had the past week or two look like they'll be falling back to 60s/low40s.

REALLY going to have a time with the ambrosia beetles if we have a hard freeze later in March, as from what I've read they're drawn to ethanol released from stressed trees - matches my fig attack last year as it had leafed out, hard frost hit, and it dropped all the leaves before budding out again. Was just in the act of re-leafing when I noticed the toothpick boring signs of attack.

Snow is gone. Sun and wind has dried the yard out. Just cleaned up dog crap from the last 3 months. Yep, spring is on the horizon.

Cleaning out the winter's dog crap!! That's a sacred rite of spring. I filled a couple of bins this past weekend myself.

Cut the contorted mulberry to the ground yesterday. Praying it spurs on growth even 1/2 as quickly as the fig I had to cut back last year due to the same #*#! ambrosia beetles. Was REALLY painful cutting it down as it not only was leafing out but even had a healthy fruit load developing. Look closely at the very bottom of the trunk in the picture and you can see some of the sawdust toothpicks sticking out. Early frost drew them to the fig last year, but think I might have been the culprit drawing them to the mulberry. It's in my "inside" fenced yard and mower had nicked one side of the tree last year and while it didn't kill the tree wouldn't surprise me if the wound area is where the boogers took aim.

Contorted Mulberry.jpg

That's painful Big Bend. Whatever the cause, losing a tree / trees after time, money and effort has been spent, is a real drag. It sure deflates you. Hopefully your tree sprouts some shoots off the root system or stump.

I am traveling and at a supplier for work today. I am about 1/2 way between of Ann Arbor & Brighton in Michigan and it's snowing like an SOB here right now!!!! I hope I don't bring any of this back home with me!!!
snow.jpg

Made it to the farm last night. Took a walk this morning and my clover is starting to wake up.

Keep that crap up there J-Bird!

image.jpeg

Made it to the farm last night. Took a walk this morning and my clover is starting to wake up.

Keep that crap up there J-Bird!

View attachment 17025
I don't want to bring it home with me.....I just fear it may follow like a lost puppy. I don't think it's supposed to come that far south, but you never know! I have to try to drive home yet tonight in that crap! Should be just more rain in most if IN, but at least in my area we don't need any more of that either!

When I was out last weekend I saw some things working on greening up.....I think it was stilt grass and thistle!:emoji_rage:

That's painful Big Bend. Whatever the cause, losing a tree / trees after time, money and effort has been spent, is a real drag. It sure deflates you.
Lose a few trees each year for various causes (occasional drought with extreme Florida heat, etc) but something about having to cut it down while it still appears to be a healthy tree makes it especially hard.

On that note, gave a bit of a primer on the ambrosia beetle last year and will do so again this year in the event anyone runs across the tell-tale toothpicks... REALLY scary how many trees they've been found to target.

Pulled from a North Carolina State University report, "species most commonly reported to be damaged in North Carolina nurseries are styrax, dogwood, redbud, maple, ornamental cherry, Japanese maple, and crepe myrtle. Other reported hosts include pecan, peach, plum, persimmon, golden rain tree, sweet gum, Shumard oak, Chinese elm, magnolia, fig, and azalea."

From an invastve species compendium website, "No known stress factors could be associated with primary attacks on peach orchards in South Carolina, USA (Kovach and Gorsuch, 1985). Atkinson et al. (2000) note large numbers of attacks in Florida, USA on Shumard oak saplings which showed no other symptoms of stress, disease or attack by other insects, and consider that the beetles caused the death of the trees. Atkinson et al. (2000) also noted isolated attacks on large Drake elm saplings.

Most worrisome of all is a report by the state of Indiana that speaks to the common spread now being between Texas to Virginia, but with additional attacks noted as far north as zone 5 in Indiana. I've regularly seen it quoted that they can target "100" different tree species and the Indiana list is quite longer than the others (though none I found spoke to Mulberry so add it to the list...). The Indiana page lists trees that are susceptible as Aspen, Azalea, White Ash, Beech, River Birch, Black Walnut, Bradford Pears, Chinese Elm, Crabapple, Crape Myrtle, Dogwood, Golden Rain Tree, Grape, Hickory (Pecans included), Honey Locust, Japanese Maple, Japanese Snowbell, Magnolia, Mimosa, Persimmon, Redbud, Red Oak, Red Maple, Sweet Gum, Tulip Poplar, and Willow Oak.

Few educational links for anyone who might want to read up on them...

http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files/ep-GranulateAmbrosiaBeetleFactsheet.pdf

http://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/W289-P.pdf

Last edited:
Afraid starting this thread *might* have proved a bit of a jinx... after a February that felt more like April and had EVERYTHING down our way budding and blooming, March can't make up its mind how to behave. Days have stayed pretty nice but we've had 3 or 4 nights the temps have dipped down just enough to give us frost. Hoping that spraying trees will keep the ambrosia beetles at bay, but as I've got way too many things planted to be going around protecting them all afraid there's going to be no shortage of temporarily stressed trees re-budding and potentially drawing their attention.

On a positive note, when those darn pesky northeaster fronts aren't dipping down our way we're swinging back into the 70s and lower 80s... and spring love is most definitely in the air.

Love In Air Resized.jpg
Love In Air 2 Resized.jpg
Love In Air 3 Resized.jpg
Love In Air 4 Resized.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from Florida. I hate to admit it but even I wore a light jacket on the boat one day. And long pants!

I just got back from my hunting land, there is still 2-3 feet of snow, with snow in the forecast a few days this week. I think spring forgot to come up north.

So close I can almost taste it now,
Fresh blanket last night has lead to a waterfowl paradise out my front door.
Most showed up last evening, but have been watching them drop in over the last couple of hours with the addition of one major flock.
With a bit of free time, decided to bust out the heat gun an start melting the edges on my weed mates, cut up 2 4ft x 300ft rolls in 4ft pieces.
15 down to many to think about to go, Gunna be here a while.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Odd seeing the snow pictures when I would say our peak bloom is now a couple of days behind us -- heavy storm system that rolled across the southeast yesterday knocked lots of petals off that were ready to fall.

Few photo captures from the past week or so... first is view of our front yard, with big goofy dane / mastiff mix photobombing.

IMG_1283 Resized.jpg

Daughter standing next to azalea bush to give scale to the shrub height

IMG_1345 (2) Resized.jpg

Ornamental crabapples in our inner fenced yard bloomed like crazy this year

IMG_1356 (2) Resized.jpg

Patches of clover are beginning to bloom

IMG_1473 Resized.jpg

Bluebirds already have nests built in our boxes

IMG_1394 (2) Resized.jpg

Got real treat being able to watch squadron of tree swallows taking turns doing acrobatic skimming dives across our pond the other evening

IMG_1217 (2) Resized.jpg

Live oak pollen and new leaf growth has our old trees almost a glowing green color

IMG_1499 (2) Resized.jpg

And young dolgo trees are just about to bloom

IMG_1511 (2) Resized.jpg

My yard peach is blooming though the forcast lows for the next two nights are 34 and 35. Spring is heading up, just taking its time.
c1dce884dd4cd84e57e00c0452e299c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Beautiful pics bigbendmarine! It will be a while here yet before we see any blossoms:

This is the Bed & Breakfast we stayed at 2 weeks ago when we were up in Calumet, Michigan for the Copper Dog 150 Sled Dog Race:

IMG_1952.jpg

This was this past weekend (March 17-18) up near Grand Marais in Lake Superior country. We rode 415 miles on our sleds this weekend.

IMG_2010.jpg

Thanks for sending some hope for us anyway. Semper Fi.

I've got daffodils blooming. Nor'easter moving in now. Wonder how they'll take to snow cover?

Gorgeous pics everyone. I can never get enough of those live oaks. Hope to see one someday. There is one in a Kinkade painting my wife and I bought for ourselves back on our 1st anniversary. Then I was romantic enough to get her paintings of trees, and now I just get her the real trees.

Woke up to this today.....man I was SOoooo ready to be done with snow! I was tossing straw bales in a T-shirt Sunday afternoon.....now 3 to 4 inches of wet snow! So much for the first day of spring!
march snow.jpg