Spring 2017 fruit trees

I generally don't order trees. I prefer to build them myself. So, for apples, I'm growing trees from seed. Some I'm growing out and others I'll field graft. I also plan to do some more grafting to M111 (good fit for my soil) next spring. As far as varieties, I currently have ordered Kerr, Dolgo, Centennial, Liberty, Wickson, and Collumbia scions from GRIN.

Thanks,

Jack
What is "GRIN"? I need to order some scion for this spring as I also grow apples from seed and would love to graft them over to late drop varieties.

Under Google search for "GRIN search" one of the responses will get you to the grin search page. From there they have several apple trees through the USDA I believe that you can order scion from just have to search for the varieties your looking for tgey may have some, all, or none but do have a huge selection.

Under Google search for "GRIN search" one of the responses will get you to the grin search page. From there they have several apple trees through the USDA I believe that you can order scion from just have to search for the varieties your looking for tgey may have some, all, or none but do have a huge selection.
Thanks I will look it up when I get home and see if I can find it

Thanks I will look it up when I get home and see if I can find it

A few I know that have disease resistance are Kerr, golden hornet, arkansas black, senator/Oliver (not sure what name its listed under), paragon, Wickson, and dolgo are all varieties that drop fruit late with the exception of maybe dolgo though I've been told it starts dropping in Sept and will continue into October. These are just a few that are listed as being resistant to fireblight, and available through grin.

They also have pears open for order again this year as well.

Last edited:
A few I know that have disease resistance are Kerr, golden hornet, arkansas black, senator/Oliver (not sure what name its listed under), paragon, Wickson, and dolgo are all varieties that drop fruit late with the exception of maybe dolgo though I've been told it starts dropping in Sept and will continue into October. These are just a few that are listed as being resistant to fireblight, and available through grin.

They also have pears open for order again this year as well.
Thanks
I live in south ms so I will need a variety that's doesn't require many chill hours.
Also can you graft crabeapples to Apple rootstock? I know that an apple on a crabeapples root stock will not work just don't know about the other way around.

Thanks
I live in south ms so I will need a variety that's doesn't require many chill hours.
Also can you graft crabeapples to Apple rootstock? I know that an apple on a crabeapples root stock will not work just don't know about the other way around.

It works both ways. This thread has examples: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/apple-planning-phase-transfered-from-old-forum.5536/
Thanks,

Jack

I can tell you from my experience what are not late dropping crabs...
Zumi (Coldwater Nursery)- great fruit load just about every year, but they ripen up quick in September, start dropping soon after ripe, and the birds, squirrels and deer clean them up. A great tree but completely bare here (SE Mich) on 13DEC16.
American Crab from Willis orchard. Great heavy bearing, loads of crabs, same as Zumi...completely bare here mid-December.
Siberian Crab...little pea sized fruit, ornamental...never drop. The bird (titmouse especially) just work these over all day, everyday. Smash the pea sized apple, gobble the mush. Lots of fruit but feeds no deer. (Coldwater Nursery)
I have a few more but first year bearing on Wickson crab, Whitney crab and Chestnut crab - I've learned not to trust what you see based on less than a dozen apples on a first year bearing tree. Juries out.

I can tell you from my experience what are not late dropping crabs...
Zumi (Coldwater Nursery)- great fruit load just about every year, but they ripen up quick in September, start dropping soon after ripe, and the birds, squirrels and deer clean them up. A great tree but completely bare here (SE Mich) on 13DEC16.
American Crab from Willis orchard. Great heavy bearing, loads of crabs, same as Zumi...completely bare here mid-December.
Siberian Crab...little pea sized fruit, ornamental...never drop. The bird (titmouse especially) just work these over all day, everyday. Smash the pea sized apple, gobble the mush. Lots of fruit but feeds no deer. (Coldwater Nursery)
I have a few more but first year bearing on Wickson crab, Whitney crab and Chestnut crab - I've learned not to trust what you see based on less than a dozen apples on a first year bearing tree. Juries out.
Do you mean cold stream nursery? I planted same trees three years ago. How long did it take you to get apples. I planted the 6-12" seedlings.

Hi Chummer - yes, my mistake, correct, ColdStream Nursery. I planted in spring 2010, had a small first bloom in spring 2013.

Thanks

Do some research on the varieties you would like. Our place is at the very top of northeast arkansas and there are many varieties that don't work for us. An example is blue pearmain which vegetatively grew great but the fruit would never hold on long enough to ripen.

Apples I've seen listed to do well in warmer climates include Arkansas Black, anna, golden delicious, Yates, brogden, and black Limbertwig to name a few. The wildlife group would be a great place to start by seeing what varieties they sell to the far southern states.

In the end you may be better off planting pears ,which you can still graft, as they thrive in warmer weather .

I have 25 persimmon and 25 paw paw seedlings on order from MDC. Probably order 50 apple M106 rootstock and maybe 10 B118. I'll be looking for scionwood for few persimmon and apple varieties.

I need to move some apple trees out of the nursery in the spring, giving away some.

I ordered some specific apple varieties a couple years ago and, after having a few apples this year, I suspect the nursery had several (or all?) mislabeled. So I may order those again to make sure I got what all the varieties I wanted.

(2) Franklin B.118 from Cummins
(3) different plums from Cummins
(12) G.30 roots from Cummins for grafting
(100) B.118 roots from williamette for grafting

Like the past 2 years my main focus for grafting will be different crabapples. However I do have a short list of apples I will be grafting.

Let me know if you want a "Pillsbury crab" scion or two

Yes, i'd give it a try. I always like to try something different. Got any pics? Either way i'll try to remember to bug you in feb/march. I'll send you $ for postage, or if i have something you'd like i can send a list. Cheers!

Stu - What's a Pillsbury crab ?? I remember the name from a good ways back on here, but don't remember the details or how it got it's name. It's one of your local crabs ??

Anybody have any experience with a Ralph Shay crab? Looks to be ok to zone 4 so not for the extreme north though. Nice size 1.25" fruit which sounds like might be ok for people too.

Not with Ralph Shay.

I'll have some scion available this year too from some diff varieties. All my order was just grafting related, rootstock 40 b118 from burnt ridge all grafting is done with GRIN and some great folks on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered from ACN:
2 - Goldrush EMLA 111
2 - Enterprise EMLA 111
2 - Querina EMLA 111
2 - Olympic pear

Vowed I would not plant apple trees, but this site got the best of me the past few nights. These will be my first. Looking to still order a few crabs to help with pollination and late fall dropping would be a bonus. Need to research that. Also will buy some more Kieffers to add to the ones I got in the ground last year. Don't suppose Kieffers can pollinate Olympics can they? Or should I try and swap 1 Olympic with another asian type?

From Morse: 2 Whitney Crabs, 2 Dwarf Korean Chestnuts, 2 Hybrid Pear, 8 Double Red Crab Seedlings.
From Northern Whitetail Crabs: 2 each of 10 Point, Droptine and 30-06.
Also have 10 pear rootstocks that will be grafted to a local wild pear that's loaded with late hanging golf ball sized fruit yearly.

As I read everyone else's selections for 2017, my list for 2018 continues to grow! That said, this year's plan...

All from Cummins
1 - Wickson Crab (MM.111) - blooms early, ripens mid-Oct.
1 - Florina (B.118) - blooms mid season, ripens mid-Oct.
1 - Winecrisp (MM.111) - blooms late, ripens mid-Oct.
10 - MM.111 rootstock - grafting to 3 Ida Reds, 3 Empires, 4 crabs from an unknown, but very prolific, tree in my sister's back yard.

Last edited: