Sprayer thats not a POS

I hear ya Turkey Creek, but I have never been disappointed in any of my John Deere purchases and those that I have bought used and sold later, all sold for more than I paid for them. If you take good care of your equipment, it will usually take good care of you. I did buy my sprayer new.
I agree. We shed all of our equipment and try not to abuse it. We will need an airblast sprayer at some point soon for the Christmas tree farm so might still look to see if I can find a sprayer that incorporates that application method as well.

Well, I did go the "cheap" route and bought that FIMCO 25 gallon "boomless" sprayer with 3 nozzles at the back. This one is quite different than my last one from 12 years ago. It's been "re-desinged" and now has a few features that seem to be improvements. 1. It has a larger pump. 2. The pump is offset to the left side of the sprayer. 3. It's got a better mount for the manifold and the pump. 4. The manifold and valves appear to be improved ( larger finger grips on the valves). 5. the mount brackets and method to hold the "boom" are changed significantly.

I'm not sure if this is "better" than my last FIMCO, but it is different. I have been struggling with how to mount this into my Honda UTV as the overalll footprint is a bit different. Spent some hours to rig it up.....but wont get back to my UTV until Tuesday to know I got a solution to my needs. Just know....that if you go the FIMCO route....you need to "baby" the controls and work through the cheap plastic stuff. You cannot "abuse" these units or this will come back to haunt you.

One thing that is troubling.....it lacks a tank drain port. @#$%^&*(). I have an idea on how to incorporate one......but #$%^&*( why would you NOT put a drain port on a sprayer??? $%^&*()%^&*($%^&*($%^&*()$%^&*()$%^&*(). dayum. It's hard for me to get past this.....as disconnecting the pump is going to be a big deal for me.....and may well be the demise of this sprayer.

I am going to extremes to mount this to prevent damage to any of the component parts on this (POS) sprayer......in hopes that it lasts me and is adequate for my needs over the next five to ten years or so. I'm pretty sure I can "get along" with this sprayer......I just do not have many other (affordable) choices that are supported with parts. .....even at 3x the price.

Last edited:
I agree. We shed all of our equipment and try not to abuse it. We will need an airblast sprayer at some point soon for the Christmas tree farm so might still look to see if I can find a sprayer that incorporates that application method as well.
did you look into covered booms?

A common issue with good sprayers is not taking good winter care of them. Chemicals that sit too long can really affect a sprayer, you'd be surprised how fast it can get out of control. Stay on top of the antifreeze flushing and cleaning out the pump after each spray.

Well, I did go the "cheap" route and bought that FIMCO 25 gallon "boomless" sprayer with 3 nozzles at the back. This one is quite different than my last one from 12 years ago. It's been "re-desinged" and now has a few features that seem to be improvements. 1. It has a larger pump. 2. The pump is offset to the left side of the sprayer. 3. It's got a better mount for the manifold and the pump. 4. The manifold and valves appear to be improved ( larger finger grips on the valves). 5. the mount brackets and method to hold the "boom" are changed significantly.

I'm not sure if this is "better" than my last FIMCO, but it is different. I have been struggling with how to mount this into my Honda UTV as the overalll footprint is a bit different. Spent some hours to rig it up.....but wont get back to my UTV until Tuesday to know I got a solution to my needs. Just know....that if you go the FIMCO route....you need to "baby" the controls and work through the cheap plastic stuff. You cannot "abuse" these units or this will come back to haunt you.

One thing that is troubling.....it lacks a tank drain port. @#$%^&*(). I have an idea on how to incorporate one......but #$%^&*( why would you NOT put a drain port on a sprayer??? $%^&*()%^&*($%^&*($%^&*()$%^&*()$%^&*(). dayum. It's hard for me to get past this.....as disconnecting the pump is going to be a big deal for me.....and may well be the demise of this sprayer.

I am going to extremes to mount this to prevent damage to any of the component parts on this (POS) sprayer......in hopes that it lasts me and is adequate for my needs over the next five to ten years or so. I'm pretty sure I can "get along" with this sprayer......I just do not have many other (affordable) choices that are supported with parts. .....even at 3x the price.

I'm really happy with the 25 gal frost sprayer so far @Foggy47. No drain but a quick disconnect of the hose has it pumping water out quite a bit faster than my fimco sprayer drains. I thought not having a drain was the dumbest idea ever but after comparing how much water was left in the Frost after pumping it and how much was left in the fimco after draining on a side hill and lifting the high side of the ATV to tip it even more, the difference was negligible.

My 25 gallon Fimco sprayer started having far fewer problems with the pump once I started flushing a full tank of water through the sprayer after each use. That's odd that the new spray tank doesn't have a drain at the bottom.

did you look into covered booms?
No not yet. Not sure how they would work for the applications we need, but I will check into them.

Frost Inc. in St. Croix Falls WI makes a nice unit. Buy a few extra parts and your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my new FIMCO 25 Gallon boomless sprayer all ready to go....today. First I had to modify my Honda Prairie 700 so the tailgate would lay flat (a known issue with those machines) and then mount it to a board so I can unload it as needed and position it just "so". I may be able to "live" with the tank not having a drain plug as it does empty most all of the contents via the redesigned pick-up tube. Tho I have an idea on how to make a drain plug as well (that may wait for another day) and plan to do so pretty soon.

Now that I have been down the "fimco path" for a time......I know you need to treat all the plastic parts with a little TLC. Hoping that works for me. If Frost had a nearby dealer and replacement parts in the area......I would have taken a look at those too. I do like nice equipment......and I hope I'm not being penny wise and pound foolish. tempImageNRwfRp.jpg

Northern tools,

Valley Industries, 25-Gal Yellow Spot Sprayer Tank, Tank Type Sprayer Tank, Tank Size 25 Gal, Model# T-025-YYNA-XL.​

This is the tank. I generally get my nozzles and pumps at TS or Am#$%. I also use a little larger pump than most, because I run a homemade boom off the back of my SXS. I built my boom just a little wider than the SXS to get a little overspray in case of light wind. I also don't mind a little extra coverage. I have a valve that I can switch between the boom and the handheld wand.

I have the FIMCO 25 gallon sprayer. I want to upgrade the wand to something that can hit spots. Any suggestions?

I have the FIMCO 25 gallon sprayer. I want to upgrade the wand to something that can hit spots. Any suggestions?

^ I always thought the wand was a pretty good one. Gotta adjust the tip just a bit.....and I can drill flies. Maybe you need a sight? Grin. Why do you think it's not good?

Well, You guys can tell me "I told you so". After getting the sprayer all set up a few weeks ago....and doing some calibrations and such.....I went to spray today.....and only would spray out of two nozzles....then one......then a dribble.....then nothing. Had a full load of roundup and 24-d and had planned to nuke my clover. Took me many hours of time fooling around with the POS and then I called the factory. They are sending me a new diaphragm. They said running water thru it was bad and will allow an O-ring to come loose and screw things up. Duh! Water?

Six hours into trying to get this POS to work.....and I had to re-rig my old FIMCO and transfer the herbicide about 3 gallons at a time. Leaks and mess all over. Lots of cussing. Not sure when I will buy a different sprayer.....but this POS is going down the road as soon as I do. I am so done with FIMCO. I did spray two 25 gallon tanks in a full days work. Big whoop.

tempImagePUQbMv.jpg

Yea nothing is quite as aggravating as a when what should be a simple project turns into a big time killer.

Foggy37, Due to the frustration this cause, I can’t “like” your post, but I appreciate the update. I have an old 15 gallon FIMCO ”wand” sprayer that I’ve had 11 years. Just about every part has been replaced (pump) or replaced (hoses, wand, clamps). I guess 10 years from the hoses and 7 from the pump are not too bad. The aftermarket parts are fairly inexpensive.

So far the Moultrie 25 gallon boomless is working out “OK,” meaning it continues to function as designed. I am still not sure about the single nozzle design, but it does make it easier to handle and avoids the unnecessary overlap lines many of the multi-nozzle boom-less seem to have. Moultrie no longer lists this sprayer, and I am not sure who was the original manufacturer.

My friend bought (and quickly sold) a Northstar “high pressure” pull-type boom sprayer that had issues such as Foggy47 mentioned….not all of the nozzles worked.

The OP still stands…a good sprayer and a fair price. I am starting to think having a “stand by“ pump and nozzles will be necessary to ensure I don’t waste a day when it comes time to spray.

I’ve had the 25 gallon Northstar with 5 gpm pump and 7 nozzle boom for 3 years now. It works ok but the drain cap leaks like crazy now without some kind of sealing gasket in the threads (zip lock sandwich bag today).

When it was new and I had two 1/2 acre plots it was great! Now that I have 6 acres and building, not so much.

That smaller enduraplas might be the perfect sprayer for me, but my wife would slit my throat in my sleep if I buy another food plot “toy” (tool!) right now.

So me and my glorified squirt gun will ride again this summer😂😂