Sprayer Pump Replacement

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
I'm looking to replace my high flo 3.8 gpm sprayer pump- it quit last week. Amazon (I checked locally first) offers a 15 amp, 4.5 gpm sprayer that I can get quickly for a better price than the 3.8 gpm 11 amp unit. Any reason not to "upgrade?" Will I have to recalibrate my sprayer or can I assume same rate if psi and speed are the same as i previously used?

And while I'm at it, I'd like to get a little larger droplet size in my spraying. It's a little too misty. I have the red nozzles. I go 3 mph at 20 psi to cover one acre. Is there a better nozzle size?

Theoretically, the size of the pump doesn't matter with respect to calibration. It is how you set the pressure. If your pressure is the same and you don't change the nozzles, your flow rate should remain the same.

Having said that, it is a good practice to recalibrate every so often. It doesn't take long using the 1/128 acre method. Pressure gauges are not real accurate, nozzles can clog a little, tractor speeds can change slightly. If you change nozzles it will likely change the flow rate. Recalibration is the best practice in any case.

Thanks,

Jack

Fleet farm had better prices than online when I needed one a few weeks ago. I think I went from 2.1 to 2.8 and seems the same to me