Spray - Throw - Mow - Dukes of Hazard Plot

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
This picture was taken today. I honestly don't remember the exact date I planted the seed but seems like around the end of July or maybe a little earlier.

Sprayed the weeds with 25 gal sprayer from pickup truck.

Waited 2 weeks and spread the seed with a hand spreader. Seed were Diakon Radish, Oats, Birdsfoot Trefoil, medium red clover, ladino clover, chicory.

Mowed with DR walk behind mower.

Packed with the pickup truck - driving wildly around and around in circles like the Dukes of Hazard.

Did not fertilize at first but did hit it with a small amount of 7-20-20 last weekend just before a rain.

OzCUhWdh.jpg

YRTk0igh.jpg

Looks awesome!! Nice job.

Nice looking plot and I can see your shooting house in the back ground.
My buddies Dad has a smaller plot in some low swampy land that they can not get a disk or cultipacker into. He can get his 4 wheeler to it. He improvised and drove the 4 wheeler around in circles just like you described. This tore up the unworked ground enough so that he could plant some seed. To pack it down, he again used the 4 wheeler in a criss cross pattern. Not a method that you will find in any text books, but it worked for him. Sometimes you have to use the tools you have on hand and make them work for the job to be done.

Looks awesome!! Nice job.

Thanks. I'm notorious for getting brassicas too thick, but I'm satisfied with the this one.

Nice looking plot and I can see your shooting house in the back ground.
My buddies Dad has a smaller plot in some low swampy land that they can not get a disk or cultipacker into. He can get his 4 wheeler to it. He improvised and drove the 4 wheeler around in circles just like you described. This tore up the unworked ground enough so that he could plant some seed. To pack it down, he again used the 4 wheeler in a criss cross pattern. Not a method that you will find in any text books, but it worked for him. Sometimes you have to use the tools you have on hand and make them work for the job to be done.

Good eye to see that shooting house on a cloudy day. It is 225 yards away, and separated from the plot by tall grass.

I could have used a tractor at this location but really like doing the spray - throw - mow. I do several small plots, and some of them are at places where a tractor is awkward to use. That is where doing a plot this way really shines. Sounds like the low swampy place you mentioned is even a tougher spot than any of mine. It's nice to know we can have plots about anywhere we want one.

I did a plot at a new location this year that had a lot of grass sod. I did cut it some with a disk, but by next year, I think it can be spray - throw - mow too.

Nice salad bar.

That plot is a million times better than my throw and mow plots. Just Thursday an awesome front mover through. We got 3/10” while less tha 10 miles to the south got over 2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That plot is a million times better than my throw and mow plots. Just Thursday an awesome front mover through. We got 3/10” while less tha 10 miles to the south got over 2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a bummer. Rain can make us or break us.

b12c3ee09854fe786d590c82546ff6a6.jpg

Consider me inspired. With this thread on my mind, I mowed down a 50’X80’ patch of thistles adjacent to one of my firebreaks. After the rain rolls through tomorrow, I’ll spray then follow up with a mix of oats, clover, and chicory. The switch is 4-5’ tall on three sides, so it will be interesting to see what kind of use it gets in daylight hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk