Southern clover growers

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
Anyone tried overseeding alyceclover in the south in clover plots? Stress time for clover here in alabama is middle of summer, and that is where alyceclover shines. I can’t think of a downside to this but maybe I’m missing something.

I havent ever tried it - but this summer would have been a good test. I have not had any rain since mid june and the average high temp has been 100 degrees or higher. My durana is gone is the open plots and an inch tall in the plots with some shade. I basically have nothing for the deer

I havent ever tried it - but this summer would have been a good test. I have not had any rain since mid june and the average high temp has been 100 degrees or higher. My durana is gone is the open plots and an inch tall in the plots with some shade. I basically have nothing for the deer

The only redeeming feature of drought here is that my bottomland trails and access are pristine

All mowed,ruts leveled, branches trimmed.

Further, all UTVs, tractors,implements are easily cleaned with a leaf blower

Clover and plots are but a fond,distant memory

bill

Do you mow your wheat or leave it standing?

Do you mow your wheat or leave it standing?
leave it standing. Of course, by mid July, the deer, hogs, and coons have nocked most of it down.

The only redeeming feature of drought here is that my bottomland trails and access are pristine

All mowed,ruts leveled, branches trimmed.

Further, all UTVs, tractors,implements are easily cleaned with a leaf blower

Clover and plots are but a fond,distant memory

bill
What method do you use to level the ruts?

I grow Alyce combined with joint vetch every year. It is a vigorous reseeder and once established does a good job of becoming a reseeding annual . We are currently in one of the hottest driest summers I can remember and the Alyce is doing fine even though it has been grazed by cattle a couple times. They do fine in fields of crimson which is generally playing out about the time the Alyce and vetch start germinating. I consider my vetch Alyce fields to be one of the most important plantings I have and have consistently grown some of our very best bucks in vetch fields. Deer definitely like vetch more than Alyce though graze both. They compliment each other perfectly with vetch better in damper soils and Alyce in drier soils. BTW I'm in La.

I grow Alyce combined with joint vetch every year. It is a vigorous reseeder and once established does a good job of becoming a reseeding annual . We are currently in one of the hottest driest summers I can remember and the Alyce is doing fine even though it has been grazed by cattle a couple times. They do fine in fields of crimson which is generally playing out about the time the Alyce and vetch start germinating. I consider my vetch Alyce fields to be one of the most important plantings I have and have consistently grown some of our very best bucks in vetch fields. Deer definitely like vetch more than Alyce though graze both. They compliment each other perfectly with vetch better in damper soils and Alyce in drier soils. BTW I'm in La.
I’ve watched your videos and what got me interested. I am putting 10/10 of deer vetch/Alyce around a couple of my fields. Thanks for all the info!

A couple of questions.

Do you overseed that combo In fall at all with a cereal? Do you mow it In spring for reseeding?

Does it tolerate raptor/imazamox?

I plant all my trails with WR/clover each fall. I use Durana and an annual like arrowleaf.

What would you think if in the spring when I mow it I drill alyceclover into that clover? What about deer vetch?. Thought is it will do well in warm weather and Durana and other clovers will do more In colder Months.

I do not overseed in fall with small grain because the vetch continues to grow and be palatable till first frost...usually late October around here. I have never used any herbicide directly on the vetch Alyce except clethodium to kill grass. I'm unfamiliar with what's in the herbicides you mentioned.

Depends on how dense the Durana is. It can outcompete everything once well established. Similar issue with arrow leaf as depending on how thick planted it can be quite dense and tall and last till...June? Later maybe? The vetch Alyce will start sprouting mid May around here with a little moisture and warmer weather. They both like heat. I always plant vetch Alyce together. Terrific combo and as you have noted once everything else starts burning up, drying out these cultivars are coming on strong and along with chicory best game in town late summer early fall.

What method do you use to level the ruts?
Box blade with teeth

Seems to work better than the disc harrow

What do you use?

bill

I use my woods seeder. It has a disk gang, heavy roller, and then a cultipacker. But I cant pull any dirt with it. I also have a nice hydraulic three way blade, but it isnt great for ruts - more building trails or finishing trails. I need a box blade with teeth.

What zones can vetch and alyce clover live in?

I am in zone 5 A