Source for Dolgo Crabapples

NWWI

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have a good source for Dolgo Crabapples? I would prefer a local Wisconsin/Minnesota source. I see a bunch of places online to order them but I want to know exactly what I am getting before blindly placing an online order.
Has any anyone had luck planting the smaller 16-24" size? Chief River Nursery sells them. I have bought shrubs from them in the past with good success. It seems being that small size they would take a while.

do you have a soil and water conservation disrict nearby that does tree sales, they may be able to get them for you

do you have a soil and water conservation disrict nearby that does tree sales, they may be able to get them for you
We do and I checked with them but they did not offer that type. They usually do have good prices on quality bare root trees though.

I have 2 coming this spring on B118 from Turkey Creek. Not sure if he has any left over for THIS spring though?

I have ordered a lot of trees of chief river, this is the first year they are offering dolgos and wild plum. I think I might order a few. I bought some pear, whitney and chestnut crabs from Wallace Woodstock last year. They were all great looking trees. The whitney they sent was 7 foot tall and produced 6 apples already last year. The trees were around 22-28 bucks a piece. I order a large dolgo from them this year.

You may want to specify if you want grafted dolgo or dolgo seedlings.

the seedlings will probably have some variation.

I assume the grafted Dolgo would be the better choice?

I have ordered a lot of trees of chief river, this is the first year they are offering dolgos and wild plum. I think I might order a few. I bought some pear, whitney and chestnut crabs from Wallace Woodstock last year. They were all great looking trees. The whitney they sent was 7 foot tall and produced 6 apples already last year. The trees were around 22-28 bucks a piece. I order a large dolgo from them this year.
I didn't notice the wild plum. I may have to get some of those as well.

I assume the grafted Dolgo would be the better choice?
If you want dolgos for jelly opr personal use, buy the grafts.

for wildlife, the seedlings might do just fine and provide some variety.

Good point, I would think chiefs are seedlings and the dolgos from Wallace are grafted like all the other crabs I ordered.

NWWI did you buy up all the dolgos already? LOL I went on line to order some and they were sold out already. I just received their flyer yesterday.

NWWI did you buy up all the dolgos already? LOL I went on line to order some and they were sold out already. I just received their flyer yesterday.
No, but I probably wish I would have! Who would think so many people would be thinking of spring tree planting in the dead of winter .

No, but I probably wish I would have! Who would think so many people would be thinking of spring tree planting in the dead of winter .

Isn't that the truth. Seem like you have to put your order in by early fall for trees the next spring. Guess the nurseries are lovin' it.

check out this place http://www.alphanurseries.com/broadleafsmalltreespageone.html , they sell 1-0 Dolgo seedlings really cheap, I bought 50 of them 2 years ago from them and put them in the ground in 5 foot tree tubes, I don't think a single tree died. By that fall every one of the trees had shot out of the top of the 5' tree tube. Last summer they all grew another foot or 2 tall but started branching. I haven't got any fruit yet but overall I've been really impressed with the trees.

im confused by their chart how much did u pay for 50 crab apples? doublelunger

im confused by their chart how much did u pay for 50 crab apples? doublelunger

12" to !6" would be 1.125 a piece for 50 = 56.25

12" to 18" would be 1.45 a piece for 50 = 72.50

18" to 24" would be 1.90 a piece for 50 =95.00

Yes, like Terrific_tom said is correct, the price listed for each size is the price if you bought 1000 of them. You need to use the multiplier if you're buying less than 1000. See their example at the bottom of each page and it makes more sense:

250-475 rate = 1000 price * 1.25
250 Black Willow cost .56 * 1.25 = $ .70/plant
100-225 rate = 1000 price * 1.5
100 Black Willow cost .56 * 1.5 = $..84/plant, or $84.00 for 100
25 - 99 rate = 1000 rate * 2.5
25 Black Willow cost .56 * 2.5 = $1.40/plant, or $35.00 for 25
1 - 24 rate = 1000 rate * 5.0
1 Black Willow cost .56 * 5.0 = $2.80/plant