Son has good taste in pistols

Wheel guns are reliable. They go bang every time. Any ID on the old shot gun?

That double was given to my father in law by an old man who lived in the community. He said it went through a house fire. It's so rusty I can't find any markings on it. For the time being I'm just going to lay it back and someday when I retire and get more time we might try to do something with it.

If you like old double barrels, you might like one I picked up at a gun show that a guy was walking with. It's a Remington, and according to the research I did it was made in 1903, which was the last year that Remington made a side by side double barrel. That was interesting, because the guy told me his great grandfather bought it new in a hardware store in West Virginia in 1904. I asked him why he would want to get rid of a family piece like that and he said he didn't need it and just wanted a modern gun. That gun is in just great condition for its age. I've shot it several times.

Last edited:
3 rounds of buckshot followed by 2 .45 long Colts would be the ticket.

Yep, if there was anything left to shoot at after the first three rounds.:D

I have some pistols and a few revolvers. I finally got my Glock pistol cleared of a jamb the other day. I don't have a vice down here in AZ.....and was having a devil of a time clearing a round due to a slightly long primer (.002"). Finally I got a large C Clamp padded with some wood lath to grip the top slide.....and was able to impact the grip while tightly holding the top slide with the clamp. Popped right out. "Fail to's" are all too common on self-loading pistols.

You don't have such nonsense with a revolver. They go "bang" every time you squeeze the trigger. The small ones conceal well and are more reliable IMO.

I like them too. They don't conceal quite as well as a small, flat revolver, but still pretty good. I have one of the small Smith's in 38+P that came from the factory with the Crimson Trace laser grips - might be my favorite piece. Didn't even have to adjust the laser, because it was dead on. At 20 yards from a rest it will keep 4 inside 2 inches, which is good enough to take a bunny rabbit with if you want one.

Last edited:
My first hand gun was a .357 mag wheel gun as well. The wife likes the weight of it when shooting .38 ammo in it. I like the simplicity of them. It was my carry gun, until I got my 1911 colt in 45 ACP.

made my grandfather laugh once when he asked, "why on earth do you need a .45?" I just smiled and said, "Because they don't make a .46!" I know it isn't real original, but it made him chuckle and shake his head.

My wife loved shooting my .357 as well, but she would not shoot my Super Blackhawk .44 mag.

My wife loved shooting my .357 as well, but she would not shoot my Super Blackhawk .44 mag.

A friend of mine has a Ruger 41 magnum. When he first got it he really shot it a lot. He set targets up at the same place in his yard every time he shot and in a few weeks he cut down a 6 inch sycamore tree in the path of destruction.

My latest gun doesn't look as good as his guns.

Native - I have a gun that went through a fire and it literally looked like a metal squid because the barrels separated and curled in different directions. This is the gun now - the metal is ORIGINAL - except some internal springs and the trigger guard. Its a stevens 22/410 - First real gun I ever shot and killed my first squirrel with this gun. Lots of memories - especially with someone that isn't with us anymore. Ground down the firing pin to keep it from being shot again for safety, but other than that it still "works"
overandunder.jpg

Native - I have a gun that went through a fire and it literally looked like a metal squid because the barrels separated and curled in different directions. This is the gun now - the metal is ORIGINAL - except some internal springs and the trigger guard. Its a stevens 22/410 - First real gun I ever shot and killed my first squirrel with this gun. Lots of memories - especially with someone that isn't with us anymore. Ground down the firing pin to keep it from being shot again for safety, but other than that it still "works"
View attachment 4271

Super cool story. I'm also tied to old guns from my youth and those passed down from people I cared for. Glad that your gun turned out so well. Your kids are really going to appreciate that someday for sure!

Super cool story. I'm also tied to old guns from my youth and those passed down from people I cared for. Glad that your gun turned out so well. Your kids are really going to appreciate that someday for sure!
To come to think of it - there is a chance that the gun in the pic is the first real gun my boy shot as well! It sucks it doesn't fully work, but it's nice to be able to put my hands on it. I am normally a "functional" sort of guy, but this gun is one of the few sentimental items I have - I'll have a bon fire with all my other guns to save that one if that is what it took!

I love my Glock 17. I will own this gun forever and hand it down to my son some day. I guess I'm so attached to this particular gun because she has stared down the eye of Evil. I trust this gun with my life and in turn she has saved my life on more than one occasion.

You Kentucky boys all got good taste in Guns!