Something to think about if planting corn again.

Most food plotters are only buying the RR trait when they buy corn for food plotting. That will cost $100/bag less than 2-3-4 traits more in a bag.

Amen Mo, amen! That's me.....I want dent corn, round-up ready & cheap. Hit me with what ya got!

A non-farmer asks - what is dent corn ??

A non-farmer asks - what is dent corn ??

Its regular field corn that will get to hard dent and dry down. Sweet corn is not dent corn.

Thanks. Around here we just call it field corn. Never heard the term " dent corn ". For deer, RR is the only trait needed, right ?? ( if left to stand all winter )

If you plant corn consecutive years you have to watch out for corn rootworm.

You don't have to plant RR roundup ready corn it just allows you to use roundup for what I would say in my area is grass control.About everything else we have to spray a special herbicide

Aprox 85% of my corn seed sales here in EC MN is conventional corn now. Lots of farmers in my area have told Monsatan to stick their $100 a bag tech fee up their Arse. For food plotters that want to save money on seed corn, they can buy conventional as well. $70-90 verses $175-$275 a bag. Spraying with 1oz per acre of Impact herbicide does pretty well on both grasses and broadleaves. And for only $12/acre.

So MO with this corn variety and the proper weed control, how much are you looking at per acre for corn?

So in that article it's saying that new generation seed needs 6 months for it to be effectively digested. I can't see that as being good deer management, seeing as this may hurt deer you're trying to help. Does a guy need to get back to basics and plant conventional or like suggested the first iteration of rr seed? I wouldn't want to go canamaize yet as I plant for yield as well, but that may be a cool option.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So MO with this corn variety and the proper weed control, how much are you looking at per acre for corn?

For a farmer or a food plotter?

Per acre, $30 Seed, $50 Fertilizer, $20 Herbicide.

Aprox 85% of my corn seed sales here in EC MN is conventional corn now. Lots of farmers in my area have told Monsatan to stick their $100 a bag tech fee up their Arse. For food plotters that want to save money on seed corn, they can buy conventional as well. $70-90 verses $175-$275 a bag. Spraying with 1oz per acre of Impact herbicide does pretty well on both grasses and broadleaves. And for only $12/acre.

If 85% of your corn sales are conventional I would say you're not selling much corn. All the genetic traits may not be as important for the food plotter but it's a bigger deal on large acreage. I could make a case though, that food plotters need genetic traits to simplify the weed control part since time is often a big deal especially for folks who don't live close to their hunting property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If 85% of your corn sales are conventional I would say you're not selling much corn. All the genetic traits may not be as important for the food plotter but it's a bigger deal on large acreage. I could make a case though, that food plotters need genetic traits to simplify the weed control part since time is often a big deal especially for folks who don't live close to their hunting property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say what ever you want! Lots of guys going broke trying to grow 200 bu corn right now. I have a lot of guys growing 100 bu corn and making over $100 an acre using $90 a bag conventional corn. Lots of dumb asses sucked into the traited toilet bowl right now! LOL

And with CRP, you could make that with minimal inputs. Oofdah. So, is corn corn, or are other varieties better for ungulates? Is conventional going to be "better" with digestion, or will RR corn be the same? Shit, canamaize sounds good, but yield might suffer. I can get cheap corn through MDHA, RR stuff too, so I may just keep going that route and pound it with Urea.

And with CRP, you could make that with minimal inputs. Oofdah. So, is corn corn, or are other varieties better for ungulates? Is conventional going to be "better" with digestion, or will RR corn be the same? Shit, canamaize sounds good, but yield might suffer. I can get cheap corn through MDHA, RR stuff too, so I may just keep going that route and pound it with Urea.

Not in EC MN. $50/acre stops a lot of CRP here. Thats why you don't see any here!

Per acre, $30 Seed, $50 Fertilizer, $20 Herbicide.
I'm missing a couple of things. How about soil amendments (PK) and how many pounds of Urea are you figuring (100)?

What do you think the minimum amendments a food plotter can get by with and get reasonable yields? Currently I rotate soybean and corn with rye overseed.

I'm missing a couple of things. How about soil amendments (PK) and how many pounds of Urea are you figuring (100)?

What do you think the minimum amendments a food plotter can get by with and get reasonable yields? Currently I rotate soybean and corn with rye overseed.

Now remember, we are talking food plotting not farming. Corn is a grass, grass will grow with just N but some sulfur in light ground helps as well. So $50 worth of Ammonium Sulfate and Urea will grow corn. Most problems food plotters have is they are tight with money. The things that limit a lot of food plotters from having success are money, soil prep, weed control and rain, as well as planting in a timely fashion.

If we are talking growing corn for the highest yield in farming.......whole different story!