Sole fence charger going dead

Binney59

A good 3 year old buck
I purchased two new Parmak Solar Pak 6 chargers this year and left them outside facing south for a week before putting in field.

I set my fences up and have both units on a wood post, facing south. When I checked on them after a week one charger was in the red zone (almost dead). I flipped the machine off and then back on and it seemed to work fine after- full charge.

Fast forward two weeks and both chargers were in red and after toggling then off and back on one seems to work but the other stayed dead.

Any help? I may bring them back to my shop and charge with a battery charger and then put back out. We have had very hot, dry weather lately if that factors in?

Tested on multimeter when I brought in from field today and battery measures between 6.7 and 6.8 volts. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

did you check the fence to see if any weeds are hitting the wire? just a thought

I'd check for shorts in the fence. It sounds like you have an excessive draw somewhere.
How long is the fence?

Plots are 2 and 3 acres.

I walked the fence and there are no breaks or weeds and tape is through all insulators (nothing touching metal T posts.

I’m stumped. And frustrated!!

Is the fence properly grounded? If you've had really dry conditions it reduces the rod to soil contact and is no longer grounded. Take a couple of bottles of water and pour it along the grounding rod and allow it to soak in and try it again and see if that helps.

Could also be a battery that won’t hold a charge. Put an ohm meter to the battery terminals when you have good sun and the charger wires attached to it. If it reads over 6 volts the charger is working and it’s the battery. If not the charger is bad. (With a good ground) like Hoyt said.

Oh and be careful charging SLA batteries with an auto charger. I’ve melted a few that way…

we have been in a drought lately so I’m starting to think that’s the issue- we got rain last night so I will go check them again to see if that solved it. Nothing else makes sense. Thanks!

Good tip on the auto charger- mine has a 6 volt setting so that’s what I used and they seem fine after.

Reactions: 356