Soil temp map.

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
Somehow I managed to lose the link to the soil temp maps. Can anyone just link it here quick for me? Thanks

Thank you sir!

I guess those are just general average soil temps, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it for planting purposes. A South exposure slope will be quite a bit warmer than N exposure slope. I see that right here at my home...N exposure and things are often cooler and more moist than it is right across the road that has the S exposure. I see the difference in the progression of veg growth in the 2 areas.
Neal Dougherty always said to plant by the compass.
Get yourself a soil thermometer. You'll be surprised how much temps can vary across even a few acres.

I completely agree with Tap! The best tool for the money I ever bought was an inexpensive soil thermometer. Soil temperature is measured between 8:00am and 9:00am for planting purposes. I've had large variations between fields a few hundred yards apart depending on sun exposure and ground cover.

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: Tap
So........... is there really a difference in temp with soils with layer of thatch as theorized with TnM,no till,etc?

bill

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/nwcc/rgrpt?report=daily_scan_7day

Rather than dismissing the value of such things, it would be more beneficial to understand how, where, and why soil temperatures are captured.
The AgriFax map says it is the soil temperature at 4-inches at 7am. No mention of how this was acquired. Of course it's going to vary by specific location, by sampling depth, cover on the surface (but not by as much as you may think)....and by method. Some surface temperatures are captured by satellite. But, most are determined by point sensor stations. Then, a man with an iPhone draws lines in between in the points to fill in the blanks. Just kidding there......sorta'. What it once take a mainframe computer to do can now be accomplished with half the power in your phone. It's like this - maps are models of reality. You can learn a lot by studying a model. For reality, you need to buy a thermometer and go stick it in the ground. Compare it to what the map shows, apply some Kentucky windage, and in no time you'll be able to come to some quick conclusions about you reality without leaving the comfort of your LazyBoy.

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/nwcc/rgrpt?report=daily_scan_7day

Rather than dismissing the value of such things, it would be more beneficial to understand how, where, and why soil temperatures are captured.
The AgriFax map says it is the soil temperature at 4-inches at 7am. No mention of how this was acquired. Of course it's going to vary by specific location, by sampling depth, cover on the surface (but not by as much as you may think)....and by method. Some surface temperatures are captured by satellite. But, most are determined by point sensor stations. Then, a man with an iPhone draws lines in between in the points to fill in the blanks. Just kidding there......sorta'. What it once take a mainframe computer to do can now be accomplished with half the power in your phone. It's like this - maps are models of reality. You can learn a lot by studying a model. For reality, you need to buy a thermometer and go stick it in the ground. Compare it to what the map shows, apply some Kentucky windage,and in no time you'll be able to come to some quick conclusions about you reality without leaving the comfort of your LazyBoy.

I'm not suggesting there is no value in the soil temperature map. I think it has a lot of value, especially for farmers. I think it is a great planning tool. In fact, with enough experience under one's belt, you could probably correlate the average soil temp for your area at a given time with the soil temp in specific fields you've measured over the years and knowing the conditions.

Having said that, most of us don't do this for a living. I'm just warning that one can't assume the soil temp of a specific field is close to the average for your area.

So........... is there really a difference in temp with soils with layer of thatch as theorized with TnM,no till,etc?

bill

Bill,

In my experience, yes. I've taken soil temps of fields I had tilled which cause them to both dry out and warm up faster in the spring. Vegetation can also insulate soil. Also, food plots are often small and in wooded areas. A field that gets full sun warms up much faster in the spring than a field that only gets morning sun.

I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I do recall on study looking at soil temps and dampness as they relate to soybean development. This was not just soil temp at planting time but looking at it along with moisture during soybean establishment. There was quite a difference in growth as I recall if soil temps stay cool and damp for too long after planting.

Personally, I've noticed a significant difference with buckwheat. I'm far enough south that I can barely double crop it. I've since found better ways to accomplish my goals than double crop. When I was double cropping it, the first crop was always lethargic and stunted compared to the second crop. If I waited until the soil temp was at least 65 degrees for the first crop and I got warmer weather after planting, the first crop was reasonably good. If I planted earlier or got a period of cold wet weather after planting the first crop, it was much worse. The second crop was always strong as long as I got a little rain within a couple weeks after planting.

A few bucks for a soil thermometer is well worth it.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm not suggesting there is no value in the soil temperature map. I think it has a lot of value, especially for farmers. I think it is a great planning tool. In fact, with enough experience under one's belt, you could probably correlate the average soil temp for your area at a given time with the soil temp in specific fields you've measured over the years and knowing the conditions.

Having said that, most of us don't do this for a living. I'm just warning that one can't assume the soil temp of a specific field is close to the average for your area.
Jack

Yes, I think I said that, too. I just tried to add a little more to the discussion. Dear readers, you can read it or not. But, I don't think you need to farm for a living to be interested enough in the subject to look at it a little more deeply and with greater understanding about how those maps are created. No defense was required on your part. I think you do a disservice to the readers by issuing warnings where none are required.

Yes, I think I said that, too. I just tried to add a little more to the discussion. Dear readers, you can read it or not. But, I don't think you need to farm for a living to be interested enough in the subject to look at it a little more deeply and with greater understanding about how those maps are created. No defense was required on your part. I think you do a disservice to the readers by issuing warnings where none are required.

I think that without explanation, many folks new to this would assume that the temperature shown on a soil temp map in their area is representative of their actual soil temp.

You won't find this debate in the "monoculture" of the glossy mags

In this forum, issues are vetted in the rough and tumble arena of ideas

i love this place

bill

You won't find this debate in the "monoculture" of the glossy mags

In this forum, issues are vetted in the rough and tumble arena of ideas

i love this place

bill
Yeah, but those glossy rags have all those dozens and dozens of really "cool" (read: stupid) ads for all those new fangled gizmos and gadgets that no successful hunter would be without. In addition to the ads, there are the few pages of actual content that are sure to remind the reader that the "hunter" could have never scored if he didn't own all the stuff advertised on the preceding and following pages.

Seriously though... I've seen ads for $10,000 planters and $25,000 UTVs, and box blinds that are more laid-out than some of the homes of the readers, but I've never, not once, seen an ad for a $10 soil thermometer.

I don't think this is really much of a debate. I don't disagree with any of the things FarmerDan says about the soil temp maps. My only concern was that folks new to all this would assume a soil temp map had sufficient accuracy for deciding when to plant. I know I made that mistake when I was new. When I was very new, I didn't even understand the difference between soil and air temps.

But your point is well taken. I've seen soil temp mentioned a few times over the years in the hunting/food plotting glossies but it is pretty rare. That is probably because it is hard to sell stuff based on it.

Thanks,

Jack

...I've seen soil temp mentioned a few times over the years in the hunting/food plotting glossies but it is pretty rare. That is probably because it is hard to sell stuff based on it.

Thanks,

Jack
Yep, can't sell a $10 soil thermometer because it ain't glitzy and since they seldom write about such things, a new plotter doesn't even have a concept of soil temps or about soil health/biology.
Here...just buy this ap and we'll tell you what and when to plant. There's no need for you to really understand agronomy or biology. We have a product that will think for you. Just give us your credit card number.

There's no need for you to really understand agronomy or biology.

.......unless you want to miss part of the fun

bill

I think that without explanation, many folks new to this would assume that the temperature shown on a soil temp map in their area is representative of their actual soil temp.

And I think you underestimate the intelligence of the participants and readers of this forum!:emoji_head_bandage::emoji_nerd::emoji_sunglasses:

By the way, Yoder, I think your a real good sport and a great guy!

And I think you underestimate the intelligence of the participants and readers of this forum!:emoji_head_bandage::emoji_nerd::emoji_sunglasses:

By the way, Yoder, I think your a real good sport and a great guy!

I think it is more a matter of experience than intelligence....at least I hope so since it is a mistake I personally made when starting out. I'm probably less intelligent now than I was then.

And right back at you. Your contributions to the forum have been outstanding. :emoji_smiley:

Thanks,

Jack