Small logging job

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Most of my property was loggged before I purchased it except about a 6 acre portion that has a decent mix of mature woods. I had the WI DNR forester out and he suggested I thin it out a bit. Not much sunlight can hit the ground at this point. Since it's only 6 acres, and I'm 15-25 years away from income potentail on other parts of the property, I'm sure I can't get any money for this small project (but I guess I have no idea how that works?). With that being said, I have a few people in the area that log. Does it every make sense for them to do projects like this? Just not sure what I should know before calling them... Ideally, they would get some value from the timber, and in turn I'd get things thinned out a bit. Just no idea how the economics of that works? One guy is less than a mile away with his own mill.

It is a nice south sloping face that would be a great bedding area if thickened up! I could start knocking stuff down myself, but figured if someone could make some money off a project like that and I'd get the work for free, I'd start with that route.

Engage a consulting forester to complete a cruise and assist with the bid process + logging contract. It might be only 6 acres, but the timber on it most certainly has value.

Thanks I'll start there! If anyone has one in the Dunn County, WI area that they recommend I'd love a suggestion!

I have something similar, I need a building site cleared, and I was going to allow them to do a select cut on about 20 acres (my selection, not theirs!) Basically the bigger guys wouldnt even consider coming there unless it is 100+ acres, they told me to get a few neighbors to go along with it. Just down the road I have a small time guy, he owns the company, and has a couple workers, he had told me a few times he would do it, if he had time over the winter, but he never has gotten to it. Then he says the cost of wood in the spring isnt worth his hassle to bring out the equipment. I think what I may end up doing is cutting it up into firewood, and sell it. More work for me, but at least I get something in return, and get it done. The wood that isnt good firewood, can be cut and used, or sold for campfire wood, or just cut and left in the woods for nature.

My neighbor couldn't find a logger for a 8 acre woods so he put a ad on Craigslist. He ended up finding a guy who cut and sold fire wood. Deal was that two loads got dumped at neighbors house for every 3 loads the guy took home. Neighbor did a little trail cam install high above the path to woods assuming he'd be ripped off. Guy Turned out very honest and everyone was happy

I think it will be near impossible to get a actually logging company in there to cut it. It seems like there should be companies that specialize in small properties and could do well. They could just drop there stumpage payments lower to recoup the cost of moving,etc. I had a really hard time trying to get someone to cut 53 acres of solid woods. I would try something like Northbound said, are there any Amish around by you they probably would be interested in a job this size. I would also second getting a forester in there to give you ideas and mark your trees. It will cost a little money but will be well worth it in the end.

The right 6 acres of woods could be worth money if the right trees are in there... also if you could get the trees skidded out to a make shift landing there are a number of individuals with portable saw mills that could get in there and cut you a fairly large amount of lumber for a future building project right on your property... couple mantels for a cabin, ect.. It would be a shame to drop mature timber trees for firewood. You could cull some of the crap wood out - let the nicer saw wood stand and get some new growth going and still buy yourself some time to make a decision on the better timber later. You might be able to find a logger or buyer already working a cut or planning a cut nearby that might look at a small parcel like that.

One word of advise: take it for what its worth but as much as you want to do everything to your new property in a hurry(food plots, water holes, stands, brushing, bedding cover, hinge cutting) ... your property will evolve as you get to know it better over time and you may regret some of your earlier actions. Its not going anywhere, taking your time with the property can be one of the best habitat moves you can make in the long run... you wont be able to reverse the taking down of a 50 year old tree in your lifetime and my guess is your 6 acres may contain some nice trees.

other than planting apple trees.... don't take your time on that they should have been planted 10 years ago - what were you thinking????

Last edited:
Good luck with finding any logger to do 6 acres of woods. I have 80 acres of plantation pines that needed an every third row thinning. It took me several years to find a logger in the area who wanted to do this job. First it was going to be done in winter when he had the time. That was the year of the 100 inch snow fall. Project cancelled. Then it took a few years of asking before the job finally got done. In 4 to 6 more years I will need a selective cut done in these pines. I am seriously wondering if I can find anyone to do that job.

Yeah hoping for the best. My neighbor directly to the south is going to look at it. I'm hoping it would be close and easy enough for him that he could get enough value in the job and we call it even. If not, I'll just have to do some thinning on my own in the years to come which is fine as well.

Finding folks with actual logging equipment to deal with a small piece is going to be very difficult. However IF you have prime timber in there (oak, walnut, cherry) and enough of it that may swing things a little more in your favor. If most of the trees are of lower timber value.....you may be better off finding someone who cuts firewood. Also keep in mind that just because the tree is large enough doesn't mean it should be cut. If you have some good mature and healthy habitat trees in there - they can wait that 15+ years. I also agree with having a plan for the area.....don't just cut it because you can. Very easy to undo decades and mother natures work with a saw in an afternoon.

The DNR forester may be able to let you know of MFL logging in the area and get you a contact for the forester/logger. Ask if he will cut yours while he is in the area. If its close and easy access, you may be able to find someone. Dont expect much $$$. This is what I am doing currently. The logher is putting in a driveway, logging roads and a little cash on the 8 acres Im having cut. Couldnt be more thrilled! Dunn county requires you to file a cutting notice. I suppose that is so they can take logging money if you taxes are delinquent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My logger also had to file a cutting notice in Portage county Wisconsin. I believe it is a state wide law just for the reasons you mentioned.

It is advisable to require the same type of insurances and certificate from a firewood cutter thinning only six acres or even an acre as is required for a full scale logging operation. I had a huge pile of cut ends that I didn't have a use for and my insurance agent advised me to not sell it even give it away to an uninsured operator. Some firewood guys operate under the radar and may not have insurance so one must not assume or take them on their word. One needs to be listed as a certificate holder on the certificate of liability insurance including workers comp if there are workers and of course check the dates on the certificate and that it is signed by the ins. company or their agent. My logger gave me one that was out of date; I believe he didn't do it on purpose but none the less without an up to date copy there is no way for us to know if their insurance is really there. I pointed it out to him and he called his agent on the spot who promptly mailed a copy to me.

I suppose it mostly depends on the trees not the acreage. I had a forester come look at some walnuts on my place. He got a logger to give us a contract for about $11,000 for 26 trees.

Hi All, I held off on making any quick decisions based on the feedback so thank you as always. I'm ready to try to thicken up the area after two seasons hunting. Compared to the rest of the property, this end is significantly lower in deer/activity and we haven't had many good hunts on the northern portion. The only difference with this area vs the rest of the property is that it hasn't been logged. It's a nice south facing slope that I think should be full of bedding, but it's minimal. My neighbor to the east (on the northern portion of my property) has a very mature forest as well and I'm hoping if I can increase the appeal of my portion, it will hold more deer for bedding.

I circled the area in question. About seven acres. I just contacted a couple forestry consultants to have them cruise it quickly to see if I can find someone local that it would be worth their time. It's mostly mature oaks.

Attachments

• timber.jpeg
    timber.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 29
The problem finding someone now is that most loggers have their winter contracts signed and will start now to get them filled. Make sure you use a forester becouse loggers that have free time now it’s for a reason and that’s becouse of their history.

I wonder why this smaller section wasn’t logged with the rest of the property? My guess is that the price wasn’t right and there is good valuable timber in there. You didn’t mention how much acreage you have total. If this is just a small part of your property then waiting for the right crew to come in is well worth the wait. The trees aren’t going anywhere. Another possibility is to wait for your neighbor who has a mature woods is ready to log then you could get yours done at the same time. I see your concern about bedding and cover but I have to believe 6 acres of good mature oaks would draw deer like a magnet.

Mature oaks should never be a hindrance to your property?

I wonder why this smaller section wasn’t logged with the rest of the property? My guess is that the price wasn’t right and there is good valuable timber in there. You didn’t mention how much acreage you have total. If this is just a small part of your property then waiting for the right crew to come in is well worth the wait. The trees aren’t going anywhere. Another possibility is to wait for your neighbor who has a mature woods is ready to log then you could get yours done at the same time. I see your concern about bedding and cover but I have to believe 6 acres of good mature oaks would draw deer like a magnet.

I would think so too, but they just seem to travel through it at night and not much for resident activity compared to the rest of the property. Likely won't be able to get any work done until neighbors are doing a cut anyway, so nothing will be done soon. Just confusing why it's a relative dead zone. Hoping to find ways to make this end more attractive so that we can spread out more vs feeling like the only good action is elsewhere.

When in doubt, cut! I had mine cut this summer. Signed the contract two years ago. I had only 8 acres cut and took a little less money but got a driveway and roads put in. Im actually out today cutting some of the remainder junk so it doesnt compete with the new growth. Hunting was better this year in the cut area but went down hill fast after everything froze and new vegitation died/fell down. I expect next year to be better with a full growing season
17b5924939a71d041e54ef3727192951.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk