Small fruiting tree

KDdid

5 year old buck +
159a202393f67e01330783e3b7952649.jpg
4452fdd3285155520efedc804eeb9a4d.jpg

I’ve been meaning to ask about these. Black scaly bark, multiple trunks coming from the same base, and small red fruits in the fall. I have a line of these in an old fence row, and some are starting to die back in the center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hawthorn most likely

2x hawthorn

Leaves look like hawthorn, but I don't see any thorns on the close-up pic. Are there "thornless" hawthorns ???

There are thorns on it- hard to see. I looked at hawthorn online, and there is quite a variety of leaf shapes, fruit cluster types, etc.. I have to agree, it looks like some of the ones I’ve seen online.

There are thorns on it- hard to see. I looked at hawthorn online, and there is quite a variety of leaf shapes, fruit cluster types, etc.. I have to agree, it looks like some of the ones I’ve seen online.

That one looks like Washington Hawthorn to me.

I’m thinking of collecting fruits from the three on my fence, and trying to propagate some next winter.

Good for wildlife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently good for people, too. Jellies, chutneys, and lots of medicinal uses for the fruit- it’s supposed to be a superfood for heart and blood pressure health.

I have many different hawthorns, some get eaten on the tree, some on the ground, and some never get touched. The fruits comes, in yellow, green, or red. If it hasn't blossomed yet give it a sniff when it does then you will know if it Is a hawthorn.

The Hawthorne on my farm blossom real late in June and don't smell very good