Sky carp

This is they view I like! You should be out there killing them things Merle!

2015 goose hunt.jpg

Wow! Thats a great view.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

They've been here the last couple of days. Just up in the bootheel of mo and the river bottoms near my hill farm there are thousands of them and its quite a sight to see. I've only had a good swarm here.

Last edited:
They were here 3-4 weeks ago. Pretty neat sight to see. We have no limit on them here so I guess they are like carp.

We brought the women with hunting a couple years ago in Mound City MO for sky carp. They actually had a blast!

girls hunting.jpg

How do you cook these things? I've had a lot of people tell me they weren't that good so I've never bothered snow geese much. I wouldn't mind trying a few to find out though.

How do you cook these things? I've had a lot of people tell me they weren't that good so I've never bothered snow geese much. I wouldn't mind trying a few to find out though.

We have them made into goose jerky, beer sticks!

Great as snack sticks, jerky, etc. Actually the breasts are milder tasting than Canada's, especially the young birds. By the time they reach us in Maryland, they have been feeding on the same grains that Canadas are feeding on long enough to flush out the meat.

This may be a dumb question, but - which way were they flying - North or South ??? I ask because of this screwy weather. In December's rifle season we had flocks of both Canada's and snows flying south when that normally happens in October here. I've also seen high-flying flocks of Canada's going North. What's going on ??

This may be a dumb question, but - which way were they flying - North or South ??? I ask because of this screwy weather. In December's rifle season we had flocks of both Canada's and snows flying south when that normally happens in October here. I've also seen high-flying flocks of Canada's going North. What's going on ??
They stay here through the late winter, at least the snows. A lot of the Canadian geese stay all year.
There is a oxbow lake not far from my house they stay around and I usually see a few on the hill farm pond all year.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

High mountain seasonings has a mesquite flavor seasoning specifically for goose whole muscle meat and it is amazing. I tried a handful of other seasonings and most resulted in inedible jerky. But this stuff is truly awesome. A full pound of jerky is consumed in less than an hour if I take it to work and many of the people eating it have never had goose before and say they love it. Check it out. I usually get it through Cabelas but they have their own website where you can buy it direct.

High mountain seasonings has a mesquite flavor seasoning specifically for goose whole muscle meat and it is amazing. I tried a handful of other seasonings and most resulted in inedible jerky. But this stuff is truly awesome. A full pound of jerky is consumed in less than an hour if I take it to work and many of the people eating it have never had goose before and say they love it. Check it out. I usually get it through Cabelas but they have their own website where you can buy it direct.
Sounds awesome! Thanks!

Totally agree. I use it too, but add some red pepper to kick it up a little.

Ha! I'm going to be down your way end of next month running them.
We try and do our part to help the tundra every spring...decoy and ditch.

I mix with venison and cheese for summer sausage, snack sticks, brats, slice the breast like a pocket and fill with cream cheese & onions on the grill, dice and make shish Kabobs, crock pot with onion soup mix, cubed and seared in Jack Daniels...pretty much any way you cook ducks or canadas you can cook snows. After a month on the rice fields they are very decent on the table.

I run down a couple times every spring to chase them, it's a good weekend when I have to rent a Uhaul to haul them home.
And while I'm down there I try and eat my weight in mudbugs and catfish!

I mix with venison and cheese for summer sausage, snack sticks, brats, slice the breast like a pocket and fill with cream cheese & onions on the grill, dice and make shish Kabobs, crock pot with onion soup mix, cubed and seared in Jack Daniels...pretty much any way you cook ducks or canadas you can cook snows. After a month on the rice fields they are very decent on the table.

I run down a couple times every spring to chase them, it's a good weekend when I have to rent a Uhaul to haul them home.
And while I'm down there I try and eat my weight in mudbugs and catfish!
Catfish and crawdads are where it's at!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Whites would be flying south. Canadians could be going anywhere. We have tens of thousand that winter in NY now. 30 years ago it was zero, not sure why.

I was walking into the office today and herd a flock of snows coming in. Snows are not all that common in my area, but as their numbers increase they seem to be getting more and more numerous during the migrations here. We will get the occasional, but rare speck as well. In my specific area we don't tend to get a lot of diversity as we are not on a major flyway. We get some traffic from the sandhill crane migration as well, but we don't have a season for them.