shoulder spreader recommendations

bueller

I'm looking for a plastic shoulder spreader to replace my bag one that has seen better days. The reason I want a plastic one is because the main use of my shoulder spreader is to topdress fertilizer and overseed plots with rye seed. I think a plastic one will making spreading 25 lbs at a time easier than the fabric. Also it should be easier to clean and maintain. Any recommendations???

Solo 421S...I've had one for nearly decade it still works like new

+1 on the Solo spreader

I guess the search is over ;), thanks guys.

+3 on the Solo even though you already have decided.

I like that earthway makes a model with a 40lb capacity vs solo's 20 lb but it looks like the earthways cost twice as much.

I've used the Earthway for 5 years. It's been ok, but seems unusually difficult to turn when full. Also the lever to meter the amount of seed is difficult to fine adjust & pops closed while spreading. Never used Solo, but I'd try it if I bought another one.

20ish lbs. hanging around my neck is about all I need while walking ;)

I have not looked at the Earthway but there is capacity by weight and then capacity by volume. You could not get 20 lbs or 40lbs of oats in the Solo or Earthway.

Both look like good spreaders.

http://compassgameworks.com/

Has anybody tried one of these? Looks like you could rig a larger 5-7 gallon pale on top of the current hopper. I thought it might work well broadcasting rye into standing corn and soybeans.

I have and earthway and a solo. Solo is my go too.

http://compassgameworks.com/

Has anybody tried one of these? Looks like you could rig a larger 5-7 gallon pale on top of the current hopper. I thought it might work well broadcasting rye into standing corn and soybeans.
This thing looks pretty interesting. Holds about 40 lbs of fertilizer. Goes on your back instead of your chest. Electronic motor with wired on/off switch. Mounts to ATV racks. Hmmm.....

Those of you that like a solo, what happens if you are broadcastion beans or peas and stop cranking on the handle and then close the gate opening. I have both and hands down the earthway is more idiot proof.

I think I may need to invest in one of these for top dressing Nitrogen on the brassica plots. I hate driving on it when it starts getting bigger .

I have had the Earthway 3200 shoulder spreader for 8 years now so I am still clearly a novice ...

I have spread 30-40 lbs of nitrogen, and 10-10-10 fertilizer. I have also spread everything from winter rye to clover, oats, brassica, etc, etc.

I have also (foolishly) loaned this same spreader to neighbors.

Have washed the spreader out with water.

Have never replaced a part ... the only weak point of the spreader is me ... putting 30-40 lbs on your chest and walking to spread to 2-3 acres can be a challenge ... pick what you want, own your decision ... :)

Sounds like both earthway and solo owners are happy with their products. I'm leaning towards the solo or the action back because it can be had in the same price range as the earthway.

Have a Solo and Earthway. Solo is best, by far.

Used my new solo to spread 50 lbs of urea yesterday. Filled it 3 times and was done in about 10 minutes. Easy to fill, easy to carry, nice even broadcast pattern, and easy to clean. Should've bought one years ago.

I ordered this guy just the other day after I stripped the plastic gears out of the $5 plastic jobber. No feedback yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2750-Hand-Operated-Spreader-Seeder/dp/B0009GZA6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1405390214&sr=1-1&keywords=earthway 2750
I used this one for the first time today. I was very pleased with it:

*Good spread
*Bag supports inside make for easy one man filling.
*Lever to open/close very easy to work one handed.
*Easy to adjust your opening.
*Easy and smooth cranking.
*Gears feel like good quality and very strong. No risk of stripping or jamming.

I spread radish first, and then rye. Did a great job with both. You just have to play with the wing nut to calibrate the opening to your seed size. Once you got that dialed in, you're good to go.