Spot planting clover / rye

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Seems I always use way more clover in spot planting. Touching up a bare spot, seeding a trail repair, or seeding around a tree spot that you prepared.

Tempted to get a small push drop spreader just for small spots. Like one of those 24 inch cheapo scotts ones. Likely need a fertilizer lime mix to get clover to spread evenly.

I have a earthway bag spreader I mix up with pelletized lime and fertilizer. Seems to be the best bet so far.

I have a solo spreader for frost seeding clover. However, thats not a good quick stop start seeder. Seems to puke clover at te very end and begining. Flow lever and shoulder holder position are cumbersome.

Get an leaf blower and extreme blower spreader. You'll be amazed at how often you use it. If you've already got a line of battery operated tools, see if that brand offers a leaf blower. That link down there takes you to the spreader page. I don't know why it looks goofy like it does. Otherwise, just google 'extreme blower spreader'.

Get an leaf blower and extreme blower spreader. You'll be amazed at how often you use it. If you've already got a line of battery operated tools, see if that brand offers a leaf blower. That link down there takes you to the spreader page. I don't know why it looks goofy like it does. Otherwise, just google 'extreme blower spreader'.

Did you invent that thing or did I dream that once?

Looks nice. Curious how even one could make a spot with that.

Very sick of breathing limestone and fertilizer dust from bag spreaders. Not sure if it would make that better or worse.

Scooped up a Gandy 3ft drop spreader last year. Love it soo much better than what I used to do to get lime and fertilizer on the ground.

Looks nice. Curious how even one could make a spot with that.

Very sick of breathing limestone and fertilizer dust from bag spreaders. Not sure if it would make that better or worse.

Scooped up a Gandy 3ft drop spreader last year. Love it soo much better than what I used to do to get lime and fertilizer on the ground.
That's another conversation, but I wouldn't plan to do major pounds with a blower rig like that. I have a buddy that does, and I think it's crazy. I still do my bushels by hand and bucket (and I may be upgrading to an ATV spinner spreader). When something calls for 10 lbs/acre or less, that's where the blower is the tool.

I have all kinds of different plot sizes. 1/10th ac, 1/4 ac, 2/3 ac, and a full acre. I whip up all sorts of crazy cocktails to mix into that blower. This season, I was putting in a cup of this, a pint of that, a sprinkle of this, half a bag of chicory, a pound of plantain, some collards, jap millet, balansa, yellow sweet clover, alfalfa, flax, wild flowers, and more.

I've even put an ounce of willowherb seed down on my 2/3 acre plot last year. A few ounces of black eyed susan or echinacea. Doesn't matter how small or light it is. Blower gets it done. I don't get anything if you buy one. It's just the right tool. It's like the flail mower of seeding tools.

First time I heard anyone but me talk about plantain on here. I actually let it go to seed around my home, pick the seed, and put it up at camp. Mostly common, but pick maybe 10-15% english plantain too. The english seems to be cultivated down south somewhat due to drought tolerance.

First time I heard anyone but me talk about plantain on here. I actually let it go to seed around my home, pick the seed, and put it up at camp. Mostly common, but pick maybe 10-15% english plantain too. The english seems to be cultivated down south somewhat due to drought tolerance.
I bought a couple pounds from green cover. They've got a different variety from what grows wild around me. It seemed to get bigger with longer leaves. Lots of it in the exclusion cages, very little outside.