All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheepshead

Maybe its a wausau thing. How does it work with diamond trump? Is it club, spade, heart after that?

I found this on-line. Yes you are right. Wausau and Stevens Point area

Clubs Trump. Around Wausau and Stevens Point, Wisconsin, sheepshead is played with clubs as trump. This may be due to inbreeding, muleheadedness, or plain ignorance, but is most probably the result of someone noticing that the clubs are boss among the trump, so it stands to reason that they should be boss fail as well. I guess I shouldn't be too critical of the idea, but I still view anyone who plays this way with suspicion. Diamonds should be trump because . . . well, because they are.

http://webpages.charter.net/clarkowski/variants.html

I don't know anyone with a German heritage that is "muleheaded" - and if you say otherwise, YOUR WRONG!

In Central WI(Sauk, Juneau, Richland Co areas) the folks I know played it with diamonds as trump.

Lots of sheepshead played in some southern MN small towns. Lots of German heritage there. New Ulm has the second largest statue in the USA guarding over the valley (second only to the statue of Liberty). Hermann "the german". aka Hermann Heights.

I don't know anyone with a German heritage that is "muleheaded" - and if you say otherwise, YOUR WRONG!
I strongly agree!

It is the game of choice in luxemburg/kewaunee for sure. I am a JD partner guy but they play alot of Call an Ace. Leasters/crack and recrack. Better get to snitz.

When I was a kid I always wondered who in the he!! "Schneider" was?:confused: No one in my family was named that and no one at the card table was named "Schneider" either?:confused::confused: Everyone always talked about a "schmear" as well but no one was smearing anything, anywhere?:confused: Sheepshead is way too busy, I guess that's why I took to euchre instead.

Euchre is nearly a contact sport in my family - you better know what your doing and you better not screw up or your going to hear about it. I have seen it come to serious name calling and nearly a fist fight before - and thats when it's just family!!!! I swear my grandfather was buried with a euchre deck in his pocket.

When I was a kid I always wondered who in the he!! "Schneider" was?:confused: No one in my family was named that and no one at the card table was named "Schneider" either?:confused::confused: Everyone always talked about a "schmear" as well but no one was smearing anything, anywhere?:confused: Sheepshead is way too busy, I guess that's why I took to euchre instead.

You are just a Mauer!!!! LOL

Yes this is it. Then Diamonds-Ace, Ten, King, 9, 8, 7.
JD is partner, double on the bump. Crack, re-crack is determined before we start. We hardly play leaster, usually we make dealer pick on end and if he picks JD, he can throw in for schneider or he can run by himself.
Are we having a habitat-talk sheepshead get together!?

Yes. How do we set this up? A bunch of habitat minded guys playing sheepshead sounds like a damn go

Don't forget about Blitzing and Indian Blitzing.

Last edited:
You are just a Mauer!!!! LOL
I've heard that term as well, but it has been so many years since I've seen it played, as all these folks have since passed, that I had to look it up to see what it meant.

I've heard that term as well, but it has been so many years since I've seen it played, as all these folks have since passed, that I had to look it up to see what it meant.

Mauer is the term for a guy that was scared to pick but should of. It's The sheepshead name for a coward.

Hey now, I "liked" that post before I looked it up, only because I recognized the word. HAHA "Unliked" it.:p I guess after I went back and reread the definition I sort of get that. I was looking at it as more of a cheating thing when I read that it was frowned upon.:confused::oops: When I play euchre, I encourage my opponents to play like pansies, and then I bury them. I don't chide them for it, I use it against them and keep it to myself.;)

Hey now, I "liked" that post before I looked it up, only because I recognized the word. HAHA "Unliked" it.:p I guess after I went back and reread the definition I sort of get that. I was looking at it as more of a cheating thing when I read that it was frowned upon.:confused::oops: When I play euchre, I encourage my opponents to play like pansies, and then I bury them. I don't chide them for it, I use it against them and keep it to myself.;)

Haha. If you Mauer in sheepshead you cause others to pick when they shouldn't be and that pisses people off real quick whe you passed but then trump everything.

Ah, I see now.

I did find a few Android Apps last night that let me mess around and get a feel for the game again. I have not played in a few years and my friends are too competitive to jump in and take there bashding cold turkey.
I used to play on Yahoo alot, but that is dead now I guess. Anyone have a good APP or website to play?

I did find a few Android Apps last night that let me mess around and get a feel for the game again. I have not played in a few years and my friends are too competitive to jump in and take there bashding cold turkey.
I used to play on Yahoo alot, but that is dead now I guess. Anyone have a good APP or website to play?

Yahoo dropped the game when they shut down all the old games. The best App by far is this one.

http://www.sheepsheadthegame.com/

Never heard of Sheepshead. My family and neighbors in central PA played 500 which sounds similar. The generation that played 500 are pretty much gone. I'd have to look up the rules to play now. Might need to bring a deck to the family reunion and see if my uncles remember how to play.

I learned to play Euchre pretty well in college in western NY. Euchre seemed perfect while putting away many beers. Play that whenever enough college friends get together.

Bumping this just to gloat that having year two of my annual sheepshead weekend at the cabin this coming weekend. 6 guys. JD. Dealer sits. Double on the bump.

Sure our cabin is for hunting. But I love doing weekends like this with no work and just relaxing up there.

Just guys. Fish fry tonight at a local bar. Sheepshead till the sun comes up. Sleep for a few hours. A couple guys are going golfing mid morning. Then sheepshead all afternoon on the poarch outside. Grilled Ribeyes for dinner. Lots of beer. Lots of good snacks.

Can't wait.