Shed Antlers

Lucky day today. We hiked a few miles the last to weekends and found the one in the bottom pic. It from a 8pt, but the squirrels had chewed every point off. I started up my truck this mourning and was looking straight ahead at the apple trees in my front yard. Something caught my eye, it was this big shed from a 6pt. I don't know if he was eating a few of the frozen rotten apples or the buds off the tree when it fell off.

Ventured off my usual path while checking cable restraints this morning and found #3 for the year.

Post a pic of the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post a pic of the whole thing

Here it is. Didn't take a pic of the whole antler right after I found it. I usually just take a pic of them the way I find them. I had a vid of this buck a few days ago and he had lost his left antler but was carrying this antler I found. I found it about 800yds away from where I had the video of him.

Found three this week. I figure that's not bad considering their tough to see in the snow.

6741a42f60923236c12061c32f1f5dbd.jpg
4ded54055c4b8383898eaa0f035c21ce.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went for about a 2hr walk this afternoon but didn't any antlers...ended up with a deer tick on me and found three of them on one of my dogs.:mad: Can't believe those darn things are out already.

Went for about a 2hr walk this afternoon but didn't any antlers...ended up with a deer tick on me and found three of them on one of my dogs.:mad: Can't believe those darn things are out already.

That's nuts. Their supposed to be under a foot of snow up there now.

i finally got out for my first bona fide shed hunt this year on Sunday afternoon. broke the ice on an oldie....but it was in perfect condition. I had a bunch of pics of this buck during fall/winter of 2014/15. Found it about mile from where i was getting the pics of him.

little man was excited to check out the "bucky antler"

From the look on the little guy's face, you're gonna have a partner in crime on the shed hunts !! COOL !!! Nice history on cams for that buck.

Sure, let the little guy hold it so it looks bigger when you snap a photo of it ;):p

From the look on the little guy's face, you're gonna have a partner in crime on the shed hunts !! COOL !!! Nice history on cams for that buck.
hoping to get him out with me for a couple walks this season yet. I have one farm that has some fields that we should be able to walk fairly easily with him....other than that most of my shedding group involves lots of hills and brush.

Little dude is pretty fired up by all things deer. often times as i'm driving him to the sitter's in the AM's he looks out the windows and tells me "there buckies in there" when we drive through the woods. He also told me the other day "the buckies eat the grass" as we drove by a field. he's picking up on things pretty quickly! haha!

Sure, let the little guy hold it so it looks bigger when you snap a photo of it ;):p
i guess i'm busted...lol. that antler is pretty damn chunky for the overall size of it though.

i guess i'm busted...lol. that antler is pretty damn chunky for the overall size of it though.
I know, just giving you crap. It's a nice shed. It'd be happy finding a long spike.

I know, just giving you crap. It's a nice shed. It'd be happy finding a long spike.
it does make that shed look much bigger than it really is....haha!

It's amazing how sometimes they stand out like a sore thumb and sometimes you have to step on them.
I rarely find them in the woods like that.

It's amazing how sometimes they stand out like a sore thumb and sometimes you have to step on them.
I rarely find them in the woods like that.
yep....having been bleached white, the angle of the afternoon sun and the slope of the land lit that shed up like a christmas tree. Typically when i shed hunt the woods, i want a darker overcast day...far less effect from shadows. A little rain to have "dulled" everything in dampness...and put a shine on sheds helps too!

I find quite a few in the woods....but usually its in relation to thermal cover or southern exposure, or a travel corridor. This spot would get decent morning sun, the field at the top of the hill had some corn standing in it last winter. Its also was the end of a bench on the hill side.

yep....having been bleached white, the angle of the afternoon sun and the slope of the land lit that shed up like a christmas tree. Typically when i shed hunt the woods, i want a darker overcast day...far less effect from shadows. A little rain to have "dulled" everything in dampness...and put a shine on sheds helps too!

I find quite a few in the woods....but usually its in relation to thermal cover or southern exposure, or a travel corridor.

The exact same conditions I like also.

I usually take a shed with me and throw it out in front while walking. Don't watch it land and then look for it. I'm convinced that most of the sheds I find while looking for the one I threw would have been skipped over if I hadn't slowed down to look for the original. Also helps train my eye...

The exact same conditions I like also.

I usually take a shed with me and throw it out in front while walking. Don't watch it land and then look for it. I'm convinced that most of the sheds I find while looking for the one I threw would have been skipped over if I hadn't slowed down to look for the original. Also helps train my eye...
So you play fetch with yourself? ;):D