Sharpening knives

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
I have the standard smith precision system. The diamond stone is in need of replacement. I dont feel I ever had a good sharpening from it, nothing like a new knife.

Anybody have a good technique with the smith system, or is something else much better.

I like the cardboard wheels for my bench grinder.

sharpening a knife with stones is a skill. when I was younger I could do it. I can't seem to hold the exact same angle on every pass now. You'll never have a sharp knife with out it.

I have a chef's choice three stage sharpener and it will make a knife sharp. when I say 3 stages it's the model with three turning grinders. I have one with two grinders and the third station is just a pull though over the white hones. That one stinks.

bill, what chef's choice do you have? They got a few.

I got nice henkles knives, not their basic ones, would you put them in the grinder?

Last edited:
I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition. Got it a couple months ago. Every knife I own is now sharper than when it was new. The butter knives may have been a bit overkill, but….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend gave me a coolina knife they had a informative video on sharpening

I have this one,

Chef's Choice Model 120 3-Stage Professional Electric Knife Sharpener​

probably the one Bill descirbed and I use it to sharpen all my knives. I can shave the hair off my arms and cut paper like butter when I'm done with each knife. I haven't used it for serrated ones though, so I can;t comment on that. I've owned it for 15 years and it still works like the first time, although I think it takes me a bit longer to get the edge to shaving specs now.

I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition. Got it a couple months ago. Every knife I own is now sharper than when it was new. The butter knives may have been a bit overkill, but….

Came here to say pretty much the same thing.
Super easy to use
Easy instructions with pictures
Sharp @ss knife every time.

I have this one,

Chef's Choice Model 120 3-Stage Professional Electric Knife Sharpener​

probably the one Bill descirbed and I use it to sharpen all my knives. I can shave the hair off my arms and cut paper like butter when I'm done with each knife. I haven't used it for serrated ones though, so I can;t comment on that. I've owned it for 15 years and it still works like the first time, although I think it takes me a bit longer to get the edge to shaving specs now.

Yes I think so. Mine is white but it’s over 15 years old so they may have made some changes. The mechanics are the same.

sharpening a knife with stones is a skill. when I was younger I could do it. I can't seem to hold the exact same angle on every pass now. You'll never have a sharp knife with out it.

Same. That's why I went to the wheels.

Won an auction on a chef's choice 130. $36 bucks shipped and taxes too.

Actually got somewhere with the smith sharpening system. I was sharpening a cheap paring knife before I used it to cleft graft some anty rootstocks. I stuck with the steeper angle only. Ran the diamond until the passes felt smooth. Then, I used the stone at the same angle till the passes felt smooth. Did alot better than the multi angle mess I usually do.

Second. I’ve always loved sharpening on a stone. The work onion is a game changer.

I like DMT stones freehand but there’s definitely a level of skill involved to be proficient. I think a buffer set up would be a great way to keep a spectacular working edge on knives that simply need touch up sharpening from time to time. Only trouble with buffed setup is space and cost. A coworker swears by using a small 1” belt sander he even gave me one to try but old dogs.

I have one of these. One side is a diamond wheel and the other ceramic. Fine steel and a leather strop afterward.

Best I’ve ever used.

Attachments

• 077D56D7-4D45-4E9B-84EB-63B93547291A.png
    077D56D7-4D45-4E9B-84EB-63B93547291A.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 13