Sharpening Felco Pruners?

JAW

Yearling... With promise
I have a pair of Felco #8 pruners. They've served me well over the years, but recently I struggled to cut even small apple tree branches cleanly. The blade was quite dull, so I tried to sharpen the pruners with a fine metal file and then a couple strokes over a fine oil stone. The blade felt sharp when I was done, but it still would not cut branches as well as I would like. Do you know an easy way to sharpen pruning shears, without taking the entire tool apart? If I need to disassemble the tool, is there a preferred method for sharpening them?
JAW

I’d buy replacement parts for it.

I’d buy replacement parts for it.

Agreed I tried to sharpen it, ended up buying a new blade and was back up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I accidently left my pruners in the dirt while planting (took them to potentially cut roots back). I found them rusted a few months later while rabbit hunting. I took them apart, soaked in vinegar for a couple days. There was some pitting but otherwise fine. I sharpened mine using a worksharp. However, I've also sharpened them in the past using a file. I lubed it where the pruners bypass and put it together. It wasn't too hard, but maybe yours is a bit harder. Are your pruners bent where they aren't making a clean pass? If not, maybe they aren't tightened down?

Blue: The pruner blade is not bent and I checked the tightness and it's tight.
Booner & CL: I didn't realize replacement blades were so readily available and inexpensive.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Like @blueKYstream, I use the Worksharp sharpener to sharpen pruners and loppers - it works great:

IMG_2062.JPG

I have taken them apart but usually I just clamp them in a vice in the open position.
IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2060 (1).jpeg

IMG_2061 (2).jpeg