In MN:
Parsnip
Buckthorn
Coons/coyotes

In WI:
Pigweed
Bush honeysuckle/MF rose
Coons/coyotes/turkeys
This fall I had ~30 turkeys in my plot every afternoon just wreaking havoc on my fall annuals and corn.

Weeds for me would be Johnson grass and Spotted Knapweed. Johnson grass is a pain in my garden, compost pile, and new pollinator planting. Spray cleth, pull, repeat......

Spotted Knapweed is a menace in one of our horse pastures, and in my orchard. The worst thing about it is that it gives off chemicals that suppress the growth of other plants. I pull all of those that come up near my trees, but I'm trying to use the mower in the pasture. Milestone apparently works well for it, but I'd rather not nuke the good stuff near it.

No real animal problems here. Bunch of 'feral' cats have made themselves at home in our barn and a couple small outbuildings. They keep squirrels, rabbits, moles, and mice in check. Only problem is their digging in freshly planted garden beds. I always lose a little corn to them.

We hear lots of coyotes in the evening certain times of the year, but I've only gotten two on trailcam in 10 years.

Coyotes and wolves would be biggest problem where deer are concerned. We don't always have wolves but when one moves in they are killing machines.

Beavers would be second. Bastards are constantly damning up a stream that drains out of the 30 acre lake that is half on our property. They force the water level up which can lead to killing of trees.

Plants would be blackberries, cold season grasses such as johnson grass, foxtail, and weeds like mullein, thistle, and perennial sweet peas.

Shrub would be buckthorn which I have been dealing with and somehow Russian olive. The RO appeared several years ago and is popping up everywhere. Some type of woody vining plant can get into trees and ultimately kill them. They can grow to 2" plus in diameter.
Where I used to hunt in the north country, wolves and beavers are a real problem. My youngest daughter shot a very nice 12 pointer almost 15 years ago out of a ladder stand. Flooding from beavers killed the tree this spring and I had to pull the stand. No one wants to trap them.

Where I used to hunt in the north country, wolves and beavers are a real problem. My youngest daughter shot a very nice 12 pointer almost 15 years ago out of a ladder stand. Flooding from beavers killed the tree this spring and I had to pull the stand. No one wants to trap them.

I have a neighbor and his buddy who have night scopes with infrared. From Feb to May they killed 96 coyotes in our area. They will also go after the beavers if I ask.

Weeds for me would be Johnson grass and Spotted Knapweed. Johnson grass is a pain in my garden, compost pile, and new pollinator planting. Spray cleth, pull, repeat......

Spotted Knapweed is a menace in one of our horse pastures, and in my orchard. The worst thing about it is that it gives off chemicals that suppress the growth of other plants. I pull all of those that come up near my trees, but I'm trying to use the mower in the pasture. Milestone apparently works well for it, but I'd rather not nuke the good stuff near it.

No real animal problems here. Bunch of 'feral' cats have made themselves at home in our barn and a couple small outbuildings. They keep squirrels, rabbits, moles, and mice in check. Only problem is their digging in freshly planted garden beds. I always lose a little corn to them.

We hear lots of coyotes in the evening certain times of the year, but I've only gotten two on trailcam in 10 years.
You can try garlon 4 at 3-4 oz/gallon with surfactant for the knapweed. Much cheaper than milestone and doesn't leave a desert in it's wake.

PHOTO-2020-12-06-14-36-24.jpegWithout question mountain lions are our biggest problem in Mexico. They can decimate a population in a year. For those of you with coon problems, I may be able to help.On the farm here in La. coons are probably the biggest nuisance and I figure they eat 20%+ of our protein.. Weeds...probably vast grass although cattle help with that.

marestail, foxtail, marijuana, cedar trees are all a constant battle. The cedars are the most labor intensive to control but the foxtail and marestail are the first to take over anyplace I kill the competition.

Deer are by far my biggest animal challenge. They do their best to destroy about everything I plant. No other animal I have here even comes close. I still love them though.

Ticks and Coons

Multifloral Rose and Chinese Privot in woods and Ryegrass in fields

Hounds tounge Canadian thistle.

voles mice

For me it’s MFR & White cut grass followed by freaking trash pandas and or the occasional bear. In fact last night the coons broke off the wife’s dwarf peach tree and ate all the peaches. She’s not happy and now my job is to eliminate them.

IMG_1874.jpeg

Coons eating peaches through the fruit tree protective net.

IMG_1841.jpeg

AR Black apple not supposed to be ripe for three more months. Doesnt matter - coons will have it stripped in three more days.

IMG_1807.jpeg
Pears are hard as a rock. Coons dont care. Got AC duct up to 40” on trunks - coons still get over it. Caught over two dozen in last two weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpeg
    IMG_1826.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 5
Coons trying to eat the protein, coyotes killing fawns, bobcats killing fawns and pigweed in one of my plots. I have a few callery pear from time to time but it’s not a huge problem.

I forgot the hogs…….how could I forget the hogs ?IMG_4572.jpeg

Last edited:
Poison ivy for me!

Anyone need help with hogs or bears let me know.:)

In N PA, my top problematic plants are our State Weed, PA smartweed and also horse nettle, Johnson grass and invasive honeysuckle.

As for animals, voles are moving up the list after killing a couple of my fruit trees… but yotes are always near the top of the list…

Raccoons and Sericea lespedeza. If I could add runner ups, they would be Coyotes and Brush Honeysuckle.
IMG_0772.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpeg

Yes, raccoons are a major pain. I wish there was an easy way to get rid of them besides trapping.

Coons trying to eat the protein, coyotes killing fawns, bobcats killing fawns and pigweed in one of my plots. I have a few callery pear from time to time but it’s not a huge problem.

I forgot the hogs…….how could I forget the hogs ?View attachment 65982
Do your hogs root much? Mine dont root much at all except a month out of the fall when the native pecans are dropping

Right now the gnats are just awful at my place. Can hardly open your eyes or mouth. I think raccoons will eventually be a problem. My fruit trees aren't mature enough yet to have big crops other than my plums. Something cleaned them off last year, not sure if it was raccoons or squirrels. In the fall it's definitely trespassers. Oh and my poor hemlocks are covered in wooly adalgid this year. Probably kiss them goodbye in a few years. Need a real cold winter to kill it off again.

For plants I have stilt grass, mile-a-minute, smartweed. Black birch has taken over but it's at least cover for the deer.