Severe cold weather is coming

Snowing like a banchi right now, 2pm tomorrow is projected -16 degrees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are expected to get up to 2 degrees tomorrow, but only -10 overnight. Could be worse!

Does ‘wind chill’ temperature matter for fruit trees or is it simply true surface temp that we should monitor? Like right now it’s -8 degree F for surface temp but wind chill is currently -29.

Think more important for temp without considering windchill. Need some cold weather to get some decent ice on the lakes anyway. Actually for zone 4b that is like an max low of -20 to -25 F so still not really cold, just your average winter. Now if we start getting more than 3 ft of ice like back in the 1970s, that I would call cold.

I don’t have much snow cover, -24 isn’t the worst, but with no snow cover, I may loose a couple of my trees that were border zone trees.

CD52E963-1F66-4AAA-A3E1-41EE11E99358.png

I was out last night shoveling snow on top of the trees I grafted last year, hopefully that helps insulate them during this cold stretch!

Dang that forecast looks nasty. Wishing you guys the best in all of that mess.

The actual temp are what will effect the trees, not the windchill. But in the next week we are suppose to get windchills in the -50 below a few different times, that will effect me. Damn, brrrr!!!!

I found out this summer the water line to my house was buried 24" deep. I hope it doesn't freeze until I can get this fixed in the spring.

Guess y'all fellas up north are thankful for the cold in light of the dire warning from a certain New York congresswoman that we've only got 12 more years to live before global warming kills us all off... sorry, just couldn't resist.

I remember back in the late 70's the scare was that the temps were dropping, and we would be looking at a new ice age within a few decades. It is funny how the world can turn itself around in a couple decades, and now everything is going to melt from warming.

As for the loony congresswoman, I think she would be more fitting in California, she seems to fit the bill for the crazyness down there. Like painting parking lots, and highways white, so the city cools off. Mandating solar on top of every new roof. One just has to shake their heads and wonder when the big one will hit and push California off into the sea.

This cold snap is exactly what we need. It happens every year for a reason. It was -20 this morning by me and actually didn't feel to cold. Granted there was a 0 MPH wind.

I found out this summer the water line to my house was buried 24" deep. I hope it doesn't freeze until I can get this fixed in the spring.
Got snow? Start piling it. I've got a line to cabin in upper Michigan that's only about 18" . It was fine for 3 years until we had no snow. Fixed it and covered with a inch of foam. Been good ever since

There’s only an inch or 2 of snow on the ground now with more on the way Sunday supposedly.

Lowest I see in ours is -19 next Tuesday. Not sure how deep the frost will go with the snow cover we have now, but with plenty of zeros I guess it'll creep down there slowly. Feel bad for the deer. Wish I had more stuff for them to eat. Good luck to everyone with these temps.

Not quite as cold as others but still below the norm for here for the next week or so.

sbxOETT.jpg

My woodstove adventure this morning...
582c6227e11c04f2012740a6100bf9dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you got a bunch more snow than we got last light, just a dusting here in the middle of the state far from the lake affect.

Scott we got about a foot or little more on the ground now. and it's still coming down out there and by 2 its supposed to blow 25mph. With the air being that cold the snow won't stick in place so anywhere around an open field is going to be white out and impossible to see the road. Yee haw!