Sandy Soil Question

Thunderchicken

Yearling... With promise
Hi guys I'm new to this site, I acquired a 120 acre piece of property. I'd like to dabble In a food plot. Woods is basically pines and a more sandy like soil.... access is a problem so I'm down to my atv and big rototiller. I took a soil test today. Does anybody have any experience in this type of conditions? I'm going to start with spreading lime. Any feedback is much appreciated!

What state are you in, might make a difference. In sandy soil you probably don't want to be tilling a whole lot if at all.

New Jersey

Maybe just break the ground by pulling my weighted piece of chain link fence?

A lot of guys are not disturbing their sandy soil at all. Spray to kill existing vegetation, spread seed, mow the dead vegetation you sprayed earlier on top of the seed.

Review this thread to get an idea
http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/the-throw-n’-mow-method.5510/

I don't have sandy soil, so I work the soil some...even though that may destroy some organic material.

Thanks!

I have sandy soil. My "tilling" consists of using my Loyal Roth drag. A proven winner on any soil is Winter Rye. I have also had success with clovers. I tried brassicas but with no ag in area (big woods) the deer did not let it grow and hammered it as soon as it sprouted. It did grow big bulbs in my exclusion cage. Lime will be your friend. Welcome to the site.

Thank you! Would you have any suggestions for a spring planting to get it started?

Don't know where in NJ you are but if it's South and it ain't a farm field or housing development your soil is going to dry out in late July and August. Buckwheat or oats should do well in the spring. After dumping enough lime to get the PH up you may be able to get a stand of clover going next year with the throw and grow method. Being pines in NJ I'm going to say your PH is below 3 when the soil test comes back. Clover will also cook in July/Aug but hopefully bounce back with sept rains if it's a good stand.

Winter rye will do ok but won't mature to a seed head because it needs the winter cold to make that happen. Be careful buying rye in NJ. Lots of places will sell you rye grass not cereal rye. "Big difference" rye grass is useless.

Salem County boy here.

Thanks Bill! Cumberland County here!

Raise your organic mater as much as possible. Spread a lot of lime and like the rest of us pray for rain. Clover is pretty good also chicory would be something I would use.

Spring planting you should try Buckwheat. Hard to beat that will your type of soil and your trying to build OM. Just make sure the temperature is right when you plant it. Also, since your new, I hope you did your soil test correctly . You should take samples from like 4 different areas throughout the future plot and mix them together rather than just one area. Good luck and welcome.

Don't know how deep into Cumberland county you are but Glendon Coleman feed and Lime in Elmer has a lime truck.
They will spread tons at a time or you can buy it in qty from them cheaper than bags. From Bridgeton take 77 N to Elmer Shirley road. Left on Elmer Shirley and their a few miles down on the left.

Also don't know the places in CC but south Jersey Farmers exchange in Woodstown will have or can get all the seed you need at the farmers price. Roorks farm supply on route 77 in Elmer will also but you'll pay more.

Buy a 200lb fertilizer spreader and hook it up to your quad. I use this same method and if you get one person to help you, you both can spread it quick in no time regardless of the amount. I had my cousin help me two years ago and it's a joke to spread the 40lb bags. You don't need a lime truck, but you obviously can. I read that access was a problem. Tractor Supply has 200lb fertilizer spreaders for $250. Only use the pelletized lime in my opinion.

Buckwheat in the spring after frost and winter wheat/winter rye/oats in the fall will get it done.