Safety glasses with chain saw

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I was just wondering what some of you guys use. I sweat very freely when I'm working. The good part about that is that I can go for hours with a chainsaw in the heat, but the bad part is that my glasses get wet with sweat quickly. I spend more time cleaning glasses and wiping sweat than I do cutting trees. What about the helmets with face shields? Anyone use them? Do they eliminate the need for safety glasses? Looking for a good solution....

I wear starlight I believe is the brand. They hand them out at work. In warm weather I weat a bandana. Really helps with the sweat.

I use a “foresters’ helmet”. I has a mesh shield which works great in winter for me; with out safety glasses. However they do let small particles though. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear chaps and some other protective gear but I don’t routinely use eye protecting when running a saw (I know, it’s a terrible idea not to). When I was a kid my father ran chainsaw safety classes and they used mesh screened face masks w/helmets as someone above mentioned. If I were going full protection I would use a helmet along with the face mask/shield. A clear face protection shield on a helmet seems like it would do the trick...but it would be hotter than a SOB.

When i took the Game of Logging classes, it was reqired to use a mesh face shield or safety glasses. My helmet came with the shield but safety glasses are 2nd nature to me from work. I'll occasionally put the shield down.

I use a safety helmet with a mesh face shield. But they do allow some small debris through at times, so I also wear safety glasses. Probably overkill, but my eyesight is just too important to me to risk losing it.

helmet with mesh screen and ear protection and chaps for legs......everytime i crank a saw......second nature now

also wear the helmet with ear protection running the DR mower!

bill

Same as tree daddy.
Love my husqvarna helmet w ear protection and mesh face shield.I don’t find glasses necessary when using the mesh face shield.

Frequently I forget the shield is down. And then i spit and it hits the shield and makes a big mess

I find that safety glasses with minimal solid side shields or mesh side shields give me the best air flow around the glasses so they don't steam up. Hard hat with a good brim helps keep debris falling from above getting behind the safety glasses. I sweat like a pig too, Native. I know what you're dealing with. I take breaks to get a drink (water or Gatorade) and wipe everything dry then. I keep a roll of paper towels in my truck for any sweaty occasion !! Good luck staying dry.

but the bad part is that my glasses get wet with sweat quickly

Welcome to my world. I can sweat in a snow storm and wear glasses full time. :emoji_face_palm:

^^^^^ X-2 with Bill.

Helmet w/ clear plastic face shield and ear muffs. Wear chaps as well.

Same here. Each time I cut shop rags out of old shirts, I'll cut dozens of long strips to stash in my truck and use as sweat bands when the time calls for it. Keeps a lot of sweat out of my eyes. As far as protection, all I wear is a ball cap and my regular eye glasses. I did buy stihl chaps a few yrs back, rarely put them on. Need to do better. If I could wear 1 of the helmets with the flip down shield along with eye glasses, that'd be the way to go.

I do 90% of my cutting in temps around 30 degrees, so sweating usually isnt a problem. I had lasik eye surgery last year, so prior to that I always just used my regular eye glasses. Now I get into situations where I realize I no longer wear eye glasses, and I hadnt brought safety glasses along, because I am not use to needing them.

I can't imagine not wearing both safety glasses & a helmet with full mesh face shield. Bandanna or hat to deal with sweat.

had an experience once were a small branch was under tension that i did not see. When I cut the main log it whipped across my face shiled and a twig poked through the meash. Safety glasses stopped it by from my eye.

another key for me is to STOP!!!! when you get tired......all my mistakes,errors,and near misses occur when i am mentally and physically spent

bill

Same here. Each time I cut shop rags out of old shirts, I'll cut dozens of long strips to stash in my truck and use as sweat bands when the time calls for it. Keeps a lot of sweat out of my eyes.

brings a smile......are you sure you aren't from east texas?

bill

same as many above. helmet w/ mesh shield, clear or tinted safety glasses, and chaps. the older i get, the more i realize how stupid i used to be about safety. the same goes for treestand safety. the more the better. a little bit less comfort short term is better than crippled or dead forever.

I wear a helmet with mesh face shield and clear safety glasses. Sweat and fog is just part of the deal. It kind of forces me to stop and rest a minute when you clean the glasses. A bandana under the helmet might help absorb some sweat.