Rules or Recommendations for Burning State Wildlife Management Areas?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
This week the state decided to burn the NWSG on the 500 acre State Wildlife Management Area that is near my home. My neighbor farms on both sides of the state land. When they were getting ready to light it, he asked if they were concerned about nesting pheasants. They said it was good for young pheasants.

My neighbor drove by later that day and could see a hen mallard sitting on a nest, completely surrounded by burned grass. The nest was about 40 yards off of the road.

Twenty four hours later the next was abandoned. (and the state was burning more of the area.)IMG_8618 2.jpg

They burned well over 100 acres and then more today. How many nests were destroyed?

Are there any rules or recommendations for burning?IMG_8622 2.jpg

This area is under the same Wildlife Manager that says we need 7 or 8 doe permits in this area.....

The land for the Wildlife Area was donated by an Area Sportsmans Club. I suspect there will be some discussions between the Sportsmans club and the DNR.

Sandbur

Many moons ago I use to be on the burn crew for DNR Wildlife and we always justified the burned nests by the improved habitat and thus better habitat and greater nesting success in the future.

Not sure what step they go through nowadays.

A search of 'the proper timing of prairie burning' shows some reports that repeat "avoid during nesting or brooding season, June-August." Guess the pheasant didn't know it wasn't supposed to be nesting yet. On the bright side it should still have time to re-nest if it can find a suitable spot.

T
Sandbur

Many moons ago I use to be on the burn crew for DNR Wildlife and we always justified the burned nests by the improved habitat and thus better habitat and greater nesting success in the future.

Not sure what step they go through nowadays.
Thanks for the information, aaron.

I know with my CRP contract I'm not allowed to mow or burn until after mid July because they don't want you to destroy nests. What benefit would there be to burning early compared to later?

Turkeys are just sitting now as well.

I imagine that burning now can lead to more winter cover as compared to burning in July.
I still wonder how many nests, pheasant, duck, or turkey are destroyed.IMG_8632.JPG