Rootstock

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
Is there a place I don’t get killed for m111 apple rootstock? After shipping it comes out to nearly 7/tree. Too much for me! I’d be interested in pear as well. Let me know!

Is there a place I don’t get killed for m111 apple rootstock? After shipping it comes out to nearly 7/tree. Too much for me! I’d be interested in pear as well. Let me know!
Maybe not this time of year.... Cummins Nursery would be the 1st place I would look if just trying to buy a small number.

How many do you plan on ordering? I know of a place that I've considered ordering from that for 50 m111 rootstocks would come to $120 shipped to my door. I have no idea what the size or quality is though.

mehrabyan nursery n ithaca has many rootstocks still. The only apple rootstock they don't have anymore is antonovka. If they had P18 and /or Dolgo, they'd have everything pretty much.

Before I added a few grafted trees shipping was $21 for just roostocks. Im about 3 hours away though.

Just looking for 10 apple and maybe 10 pear

Century Farms still has M111 for the 3.50 each but I don't know shipping cost

Its just better economically to buy a bundle of 50 from say willamette nursery, bite the bullet, plant the excess for grafting next year, or ask around chances are someone on here lives nearby and would take/ buy the excess plants.

Or do what the rest of us have done - get hooked and graft them all.

Apple trees make great gifts - you will have no issues getting rid of them later - or sell them for cost.

I am going to plant a M111 and leave it alone. tt's 3/4's northern spy 1/4 malling 2. It'll be a decent october tree all by itself I believe. Doesn't hurt to plant a few extras.

I orders some bare root crab apple trees that arrived today. I was a bit surprised to see them this early. I have never planted bare root apple trees before. Do I wasn’t to plant them this weekend already? Seems a bit cold yet for Wisconsin. Or do I wait? Will they be OK staying in the box for a few weeks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^ check for how moist they are and sprinkle a little water in bundle if dry. Stuff them in a dark corner in your garage for a couple weeks if needed and they will be fine.

Had an order from Gurney's last yr they sent me like March 3rd and I'm in NE WI!
We had 4 significant snow events in March and needless to say they sat in my garage for like 4-5 wks. Planted them and they did fine.

Disclaimer: at the time of ordering previous fall Gurneys was like one of two places Google found had Triumph in stock. Now they are everywhere to be found and even that fall think I did see some listed later after online ordering was updated for other places.
Gurney's has higher tree prices and following shipping instructions is suspect. Not a fan but I had promised someone some trees.

Last edited:
I orders some bare root crab apple trees that arrived today. I was a bit surprised to see them this early. I have never planted bare root apple trees before. Do I wasn’t to plant them this weekend already? Seems a bit cold yet for Wisconsin. Or do I wait? Will they be OK staying in the box for a few weeks?

You can do a couple different things:

If they are large trees, you can bed them in wet sawdust/ straw, even dirt and put them along the northside of a building in shade. You can cold store them in your garage - i would bed them in damp news paper/ shredded damp paper or better yet damp sawdust in and around their roots even in the shipping plastic and put the box down in the coldest part of your garage away from sunlight. You could bag them up in wet sawdust with garbage bags and do either.

Its important to keep the roots damp - air pockets around the roots even in the shipping box are less than idea - you should see condensation on the bag. But, you paid enough for the trees not to lose them or root shock them to hell after you received them. Pretty simple thing to keep the roots damp. That and a nice cool spot and they will do fine. Look at the Deer Candy trees that sit in little plastic bags filled with damp sawdust outside for weeks at your local fleet farm.

Weather is going to break fast after this last snow we are getting now... as soon as the snow melts Im pulling trees from the nursery and transplanting them.

Sounds good, I’ll keep them damp and hold off a couple weeks. I agree, I think it will turn soon and can feel better about planting them.

Another option would be to plant them this weekend, they would do good in the ground as well

I wouldn’t be scared to plant it at all. Just get all the air pockets out of the dirt as good as you can.
I like planting early and getting all the spring rains, the roots will start to grow even though you don’t notice the top waking up yet.

Where are some good places to buy (apple) rootstock right now for some bench grafting?

I am going to plant a M111 and leave it alone. tt's 3/4's northern spy 1/4 malling 2. It'll be a decent october tree all by itself I believe. Doesn't hurt to plant a few extras.

I just watched a skillcult video. He raises lots of seedlings and he feels that those varieties that get burr knots might be more likely to root from sprouts covered with dirt or maybe even from cuttings.

I just did search and could find nothing about the fruit from M111.

Where are some good places to buy (apple) rootstock right now for some bench grafting?
I ordered some M111 from Willamette Nursery about a week ago.

I just watched a skillcult video. He raises lots of seedlings and he feels that those varieties that get burr knots might be more likely to root from sprouts covered with dirt or maybe even from cuttings.

I just did search and could find nothing about the fruit from M111.
Maybe I am too paranoid about cedar apple rust, but this experiment would be better for someone who does not have that problem. One is being planted, and I'll see what happens. Likely topwork the tree afterwards, if cedar apple rust is pretty bad

Cedar trees turn this year. Got the purple / orange plums of apple misery on the trees. Spraying cooper on them next week.

Mehrabyan nurseries still has their rootstocks for sale. Getting my 1st order from them likely tomorrow. They were fine with me canceling my order last year when I tore my bicep.

I'd plant them as soon as possible. I've planted a large number of bare root apple trees over the years and I've never had any issues with planting them too early. One year the ground was still frozen and I had to use a pick axe to dig a few of the holes to get them in the ground. The trees did great.

shipping is insane. 1~120$ for 15 m111