Rookie mistake

Gator

5 year old buck +
In the heat of the moment from reading everybody else's threads about Liberty apple trees, I ran out and bought 4 and for whatever reason thought they were self fertile. Now I have 2 pairs of trees all by themselves with no pollinators nearby. I'm considering digging up two of them and moving them to the orchard where I have 4 different crab apples and a bunch of pears as I don't have room to add any pollinators where the trees currently are located. How bad is this going to set them back? Any special precautions to take? A quick google measurement shows them close to 2000' from the orchard and I know of no other fruit trees around which I think is way to far for reliable pollination.
Thoughts?

I'd dare to say you could even attempt to graft a flowering crab onto a limb. Depending on how my bark grafts do, I might be doing this on some trees.

Both good ideas.

On the topic of having enough 'room' for another tree, remember that you can plant a crab apple that is grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock. I'm told that many commercial growers do that, and indeed Cummins has in recent years sold Golden Hornet (and perhaps other crabs) on g.202 (produces ~ 9-10' tree that can be pruned 'slim') just for that purpose.

I'd go the crab route. Either limb graft to your Libertys or plant one grafted to a smaller rootstock.

Will a single crab apple be enough? The best I can tell, I need 2 different pollinators, correct?

I would vote moving something else (crab) closer by rather than moving 2 other trees, but that just me.

Whether or not Liberty is a triploid was discussed on the other site a while ago: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68455&page=2&highlight=Liberty triploid

FWIW, contributor Apple Man came out strongly against the idea that it's a triploid and TC contributed to that message as well.

Nice to see Appleman is still around I would love to see him posting over here. That guy has so much great knowledge on the topic of apples.

Whether or not Liberty is a triploid was discussed on the other site a while ago: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68455&page=2&highlight=Liberty triploid

FWIW, contributor Apple Man came out strongly against the idea that it's a triploid and TC contributed to that message as well.

Thanks L2L. I'd missed that thread...

Any particular crab that would work better than others? Maybe I can find some local big box store version that will work without having to order something.

Since Liberty is an early-mid bloomer, I'd try Dolgo, Centennial, or Chestnut Crab but others may have even better ideas.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd think finding one locally on a dwarf rootstock would be tough.

If you decide to wait and order, Cummins should be coming out with their list for next Spring sometime in June.

If you decide you have room for a larger tree and want to pick up one locally, consider Vintage Virginia Apples (a touch south of Charlottesville) as they seem like good guys and my experience is that they have quality stock: https://www.albemarleciderworks.com

Thanks L2L. I'd missed that thread...

Any particular crab that would work better than others? Maybe I can find some local big box store version that will work without having to order something.

The big box stores will likely only carry ornamental crabapples. Make sure if you go that route to check on disease resistance for that variety.

Check out jfschmidt.com they have a good description of ornamental crabapples.

Anybody know of a supplier that will still ship a crab apple? I'd like to get one in the ground so it can establish this year (this was my thinking behind the box store tree)

I cut some suckers off of a sargent crab. Naturally dwarfing, and it grew well here in Michigan. They've got roots coming off, I would be able to ship you one in the fall.

I just called but they are done shipping for spring. I'm fairly confident everybody is done shipping, especially bareroot trees. Oh well, I'll get this right one day!

Stark Bros is still shipping until he end of the month and they show Whitney Crabs still available.

http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/whitney-crabapple

I just got an email from Stark's Commercial division (I signed up at one time to get their catalog), and the email suggests that they also have 1/4" whips of Chestnut Crab on M7.

I don't recall if there is a minimum order size from the commercial division, but if you'd like to try it their number is 1-800-435-8733

www_starkbros_com_blog_wp-content_uploads_2015_05_2015-05-04_CommercialAvailabilityCaliperGrade_pdf_utm_medium_email_utm_cam_zpsh5g03wlc.jpg

weed eater, shovel and a couple dolgos. problem solved