rifle cartridges for deer.

Isn't that pretty much a .25 06??? That's just a tad bigger than 6.5mm.
Actually it's the other way around. The quarter bore is .257" bullet diameter and the 6.5 is .264" diameter. Small difference...but quite significant.
You will be hard pressed to find .257 caliber bullets with ballistic coefficients that get near .500 or above, if you did your choices would be few. Sure there are some, but they are in weights that are heavy for the caliber and cartridge(i.e. powder capacity) and given that fact, those heavier bullets struggle to retain downrange velocity, thus bullet performance at longer ranges suffers as well. I suppose one could shoot something like the .257 Weatherby Magnum? The 120 grain weights do have good ballistics, but putting your face to the stock of any of Roy's creations is an experience that is likely to make most guys shy away after about the first 5 rounds at the range. The .264/6.5mm caliber has many choices in bullets that easily push a BC of .480 or above, with some that exceed .600, which is really quite high for a small caliber. The 6.5mm diameter just lends itself to making a long, aerodynamic projectile that can be of heavier weight and retain downrange performance yet not so heavy as to need excessive amounts of powder to maintain those downrange velocities, thus the recoil to downrange performance is such that the average shooter will not have to worry as much about flinching and the other issues that come with heavy magnum recoil. 7mm bullets are very good in this department, but the 6.5mm edges them out slightly as well.

You will be hard pressed to find .257 caliber bullets with ballistic coefficients that get near .500 or above, if you did your choices would be few. Sure there are some, but they are in weights that are heavy for the caliber and cartridge(i.e. powder capacity) and given that fact, those heavier bullets struggle to retain downrange velocity, thus bullet performance at longer ranges suffers as well. I suppose one could shoot something like the .257 Weatherby Magnum? The 120 grain weights do have good ballistics, but putting your face to the stock of any of Roy's creations is an experience that is likely to make most guys shy away after about the first 5 rounds at the range. The .264/6.5mm caliber has many choices in bullets that easily push a BC of .480 or above, with some that exceed .600, which is really quite high for a small caliber. The 6.5mm diameter just lends itself to making a long, aerodynamic projectile that can be of heavier weight and retain downrange performance yet not so heavy as to need excessive amounts of powder to maintain those downrange velocities, thus the recoil to downrange performance is such that the average shooter will not have to worry as much about flinching and the other issues that come with heavy magnum recoil. 7mm bullets are very good in this department, but the 6.5mm edges them out slightly as well.

Thus the making of the 26 nosler. A barrel burner for sure but flat out to 400 yds. I'd love to make a custom rifle in this caliber some day.

^ I agree WW. But most of the extreme BC benefits are realized at ranges over 300 yards or so....and most hunters won't get much benefit from these statistics as they aren't able to shoot at such ranges. However when you step into the long-range arena......all these factors compile into big gains in accuracy. BTDT.....but now I like the more practical range of guns (that's just me). I find I cannot use extreme range here in MN very well. Too damn many trees and buildings. ;)

I disagree with Chuck on this one. My brother loads up a 7mm Remington ultra mag with a muzzle brake on it and my nephews and niece routinely kill elk and the diminutive coues deer at ranges between 375 and 600 yards. It's all in how you know your weapon and its drops. Get a good range finder,figure out your drops and windage, dial your scope to the range, get a rock solid rest and let her go.
Wink.....I used to play this game too. Was a scope knob turner and did some extreme range stuff. I never really "took" to turning target knobs on big game.....and prefer a TDS reticle to spinning knobs. ......and for a long-time I manufactured "target knobs" for various scope brands. Not to say there are not many accomplished knob spinners......it just was not my thing.

Eli Buck #1.JPG Eli Buck #2.JPG I know it's not the state in question (Indiana) or the 2 states that seem to come up the most in any thread for whatever reason (MN or WI) but Oklahoma has a .22 caliber centerfire with 55 grain bullet minimum. My 9 yr old Grandson has killed 2 deer with Remington .223 55 grain corelokt bullets. The first year he hunted with my Ar-15 and connected and the deer went down in 20 yards the next year he used a H&R Compact Handi-rifle in .223 and the deer made it 30 yards... Both broadside standing shots in the lung area neither bullet passed through...

I hunt thick cover with scattered openings / trails. 99% of shots are under 100 yds. I use Federal .270 w/ Nosler partition bullet - 150gr. That load puts 'em DOWN !!! Haven't lost a deer yet - no reason to change.

Actually it's the other way around. The quarter bore is .257" bullet diameter and the 6.5 is .264" diameter. Small difference...but quite significant.
silly me, I thought the 6.5 was actually 6.5 but it's 6.71 ...I should have looked it up.

I use a Remington 700 7mm with Federal 160 grain nosler partition bullets and that setup works great. I bought it while in college and I only had enough money for one gun, so I had to make it a little larger than needed for whitetail since my goal was to hunt other stuff as well. The gun has worked great from everything from Black Hills wild turkeys up to MN moose and most critters in between. My setup might be a little larger than is needed for deer, but it is accurate and consistent so I stick with it. If hunting out west is ever in your future plans, I would definitely recommend the 7mm as a great all around gun.

If I had to buy just one rifle that would only be used for deer, I would probably go with .270 WSM. My brother has a browning bolt action in that caliber and it is easy on the shoulder and extremely accurate. It's the only gun I've shot that's in that narrow middle ground where it has plenty of power for deer + sized game, but it has a light popcorn fart type recoil.

Discussing calibers is like preferences of women ( or I suppose men depending ) in that each will argue to death on best choice. Started my kids on .243 and I don't know why I'm not married to it because it always dropped a deer in its tracks. I own and use a lot of calibers, but my go to is a .270 and now a nail driving .270 short mag. Just my favorite. Taken deer out to 300 yds with a little of everything. It's really not about the caliber, we are talking small, thinned skin animals here, but knowing how to shoot and the ballistics of what you choose. Hell I've taken deer to 200 yds with a powder filled side hammer muzzleloader with open sights. Know your weapon, and practice on not only targets, but spend time using small calibers hunting short and long distances on everything from groundhogs to crows to squirrels, forgetting the scope. Then when you scope up, you are step ahead of the game. And when you aim at a live animal, whether he be standing or running, your mind automatically does its calculations and makes the shot.

If I lived in INDIANA.....and was considering a deer rifle for use there.......I think I would look at one of these FOUR cartridges: 270 Win, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 7 MM Mag. All would be fine choices for the average guy wanting an all-around deer gun. I'd look at a Winchester, Browning, Remington, Savage, or Ruger bolt action number. If you want to spend more money a Kimber Montanna or a Sako are nice guns. :) Add a good 3x9 or 4x14 scope....and your golden.

Google articles written by Chuck Hawkes for good recommendations on this type of gun. Well written IMO. :)

I would add Tikka to Foggy's list of brands as well. Decent price and they are made by Sako I think? It seems like it is hard to go wrong with the major brands. I would just look for a common caliber that has good availability of ammo. Someone else probably said that but I didn't want to read all of the posts.

I am pretty sure all deer I have shot have been with a 30-06. Some a Remington model 700 and also a Remington model 7600.

I'm thinking about setting my wife's .270 with a Barnes TSXX bullet in 130 grain next year.

I will more than likely start looking at 30-06 and 308 simply because of selction and availability - I'm sure I will look at others as well. You guys have given me plenty of information to chew on for a while.

I will more than likely start looking at 30-06 and 308 simply because of selction and availability - I'm sure I will look at others as well. You guys have given me plenty of information to chew on for a while.
LOL. Everytime somebody asks this question.....it gets bizarre. :D Fun topic. (of the two.....do the 308 ;) )

J-Bird ... I am sure you heard more than you needed. At my company when we have a decision to be made , I will decide it is time to shoot the engineer who gets lost in the "paralysis from analysis" so we can get something done.

Check with a few buddies who have 30-06/308's ... see if you can shoot the ... find out what you are comfortable with.

Then try and spend near as much on the scope as the rifle ... good glass makes up for old eyes and does wonders in low light conditions. You will be amazed at the shots you will consider with a rifle over a shotgun.

The old mature bucks almost always appear the first or last 20 minutes .... :)

My go to deer rifle
Rem 700 sps tactical 308 with tuned trigger
It will shoot well with many bullet weights but shines with 168 hornady amax' an Berger 155 lvd's

I love tikka tifles too had one in 2506 that I regret selling