rifle cartridges for deer.

Is there a min grain bullet for deer under mn state law? just curious.

I don't think so. I think you can shoot any bullet grain you want. I can just imagine some kid with a 223 and Hornady 50 grain SX hollow points. Geesh.

When talking ballistic coefficients and down range trajectories, the Europeans figured it out a long time ago. Check just about any ballistics chart and you will see that over the range of 6.5mm bullet weights, they are superior to just about any other caliber in the same grain weight bullets.

That ain't hunting! You lucky Stiff! Hunting is hanging from a tree at 10 degrees with a 30 mph wind blowing in your face. Let me see you shoot a fricken 40" group under those conditions. Now that is hunting!

When talking ballistic coefficients and down range trajectories, the Europeans figured it out a long time ago. Check just about any ballistics chart and you will see that over the range of 6.5mm bullet weights, they are superior to just about any other caliber in the same grain weight bullets.
Yep.....and nobody mentions the fine 6.5x55 Swede. Probably killed more moose (in Scnadanavia) than any other cartridge. GREAT round....and seldom considered in this country.

I thought they overhauled the regs to a minimum of .220 centerfire and just left it at that. That is all I can find anyways.

I don't think so. I think you can shoot any bullet grain you want. I can just imagine some kid with a 223 and Hornady 50 grain SX hollow points. Geesh.
You have to have something for trespassers. :D

They changed MN to .22 center a few years ago
Yep, the state allows you to do all kinds of screwy stuff nowadays. Makes you wonder.

I disagree, much Harder hunting/ shooting(well maybe not that part) with my Gf gettin frisky

You need to learn to multi-task ... make sure she holds the gun steady and you pull the trigger ... ;)

If I were to "make" a caliber to my specifications, it would be a 6.5mm-06. Non-belted, yet plenty of room for powder, with a very sleek and relatively heavy bullet to carry the velocity downrange. There are a bunch of bullets in 6.5mm that have BC's over .500.

If I were to "make" a caliber to my specifications, it would be a 6.5mm-06. Non-belted, yet plenty of room for powder, with a very sleek and relatively heavy bullet to carry the velocity downrange. There are a bunch of bullets in 6.5mm that have BC's over .500.
The 6.5-284 is a very popular long range wildcat cartridge. And quite a few 6.5-06's are out there too. I own a couple of Ackley Improved And wildcat chambers. They ain't for everyone.

I've never tried anything besides 100gr. Only use it for deer hunting. Can you even shoot anything more than 100gr with a 243? Don't recall seeing anything bigger than that.
You can go a little higher (115ish?) but you probably don't have any need to go over 100. If you can get good groups with 100 grains I would stick with that.

Isn't that pretty much a .25 06??? That's just a tad bigger than 6.5mm.

For deer, I think mild recoil is the way to go unless you are planning "long range" shots. .30-30, 7mm-08, 6.5x55, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, .25-06, 257 Roberts, 250 savage, .243 Win. That is the list i would choose from. All easy to shoot and do the job well. With hornady's lever ammo, my Marlin 336 is great out to 200 yards which is the longest available shot where I hunt. I am sure my Swede would be good to 300 yds.

Not that larger guns are bad. If I had a 300 magnum, I'm sure I would use it once in a while for deer. But it wouldn't be something I would buy just for deer hunting.

Isn't that pretty much a .25 06??? That's just a tad bigger than 6.5mm.
Actually it's the other way around. The quarter bore is .257" bullet diameter and the 6.5 is .264" diameter. Small difference...but quite significant.

I should add that i have more muzzleloaders than centerfire rifles. My 3 centerfire rifles are a .30-30, 6.5x55, and a .223 and I have taken deer with each.

My state is looking to open deer hunting up with high powered rifle for the first time next season. I think .243 and larger calibers. They have been expanding options for a while now (crossbows, handgun cartridge rifles, and so on) and I think they are going all in next year. Not sure where I stand on the idea, but that isn't my question.

My question is this -if you could pick one deer hunting cartridge what would it be?

I know some folks have vastly different opinions - not looking to stir anythign up -not looking for "the best" - just "your opinion".

My area is pretty flat and open ag fields - in some cases you can easily see a mile or more even though average parcel are 200 or 300 acres. I will use my 30-30 (marlin 336 lever gun) at first and go from there. I think it will do the job and will handle well in a tree stand with it being in a compact package.
I prefer a .270 with 150 gr

Who needs a gun if you got giesha girls and massage?

Adding fuel to the fire:

By Chuck Hawks

Curious about the popularity of centerfire rifle cartridges among reloaders? There usually isn't a dramatic change from year to year; it is more like a glacial movement. Regardless, here is RCBS's 2012 sales list (first published in 2013) for their top 10 best selling rifle reloading die sets:

1. .223 Remington
  2. .308 Winchester
  3. .30-06 Springfield
  4. .243 Winchester
  5. .270 Winchester
  6. .300 Winchester Magnum
  7. .22-250 Remington
  8. 7mm Remington Magnum
  9. .30-30 Winchester
  10. .25-06 Remington
Although missing the top 10, .338 Winchester Magnum remains the best selling of all medium bore cartridge reloading dies. The most interesting changes on this RCBS die sales list are the .308 surpassing the .30-06 as the number one big game hunting cartridge among reloaders and the .300 Win. Mag. passing the 7mm Rem. Mag. Since all .300 Magnums indisputably kick too hard for most hunters to handle without flinching, the latter is particularly deplorable.

Less surprising in this magnum oriented hunting climate is the decline of the .30-30, which has slid in reloading die sales over the last decade or so. (Of course, the .30-30 has always been a better seller in factory loaded ammunition than in reloading dies.) I regard this trend as unfortunate, as the .30-30 is all the cartridge most hunters will ever need and it kicks much less than the magnums, allowing more precise bullet placement.

The increasing emphasis on long range shooting in the mass sporting media is, no doubt, responsible for this trend. However, it flies in the face of the reality that the percentage of clean deer kills falls dramatically as the range increases beyond about 160 yards. With typical factory loads, the .30-30 is a 200+ yard cartridge, more than enough range for all but a tiny minority of deer, hog and black bear hunters. Encouraging hunters to shoot at game animals beyond the maximum point blank range (+/- 3") of their rifle/cartridge combination is a recipe for wounded and lost animals, a fact that has been repeatedly demonstrated.

I disagree with Chuck on this one. My brother loads up a 7mm Remington ultra mag with a muzzle brake on it and my nephews and niece routinely kill elk and the diminutive coues deer at ranges between 375 and 600 yards. It's all in how you know your weapon and its drops. Get a good range finder,figure out your drops and windage, dial your scope to the range, get a rock solid rest and let her go.