rifle cartridges for deer.

Yep it's one of those great multi purpose calibers. Sounds like you have a nice setup Native.

Yep it's one of those great multi purpose calibers. Sounds like you have a nice setup Native.

Thanks, it's a pretty sweet setup. We are a family that is crazy about our firearms. Dad is more inclined to rifles, my son is more inclined to pistols, and I am more inclined to shotguns...LOL. But all of us love all of the guns. Below is a pic of some of the rifles where we were checking the zero recently. The 25-06 is the one on the far end.

I love these cartridge arguments......errrrrr......discussions. :) No wrong answers.....yet. ;)

I own a few legal cartridge numbers here in MN. 357 Mag, 44 Rem Mag, 223 Rem, 6PPC, 22PPC, 243 Rem, 243 Ackley Improved, 22-250 Rem, 22-250 Ackley Imp, 25/06 Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 30/06 Spfld, 300 Win Mag, 300 Win Short Mag, 308 Win, 7mm Mauser, and a few more. They all have their strengths......and every one will kill a deer.

Last edited:
I love these cartridge arguments......errrrrr......discussions. :) No wrong answers.....yet. ;)

Yep, but you and I could both come up with a couple of statements that would stop the discussing and start the cussing very quickly...LOL.:D I'm not going to do it, but if you want to, I have a full bag of popcorn!!!!!

If I lived in INDIANA.....and was considering a deer rifle for use there.......I think I would look at one of these FOUR cartridges: 270 Win, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 7 MM Mag. All would be fine choices for the average guy wanting an all-around deer gun. I'd look at a Winchester, Browning, Remington, Savage, or Ruger bolt action number. If you want to spend more money a Kimber Montanna or a Sako are nice guns. :) Add a good 3x9 or 4x14 scope....and your golden.

Google articles written by Chuck Hawkes for good recommendations on this type of gun. Well written IMO. :)

I don't shoot a lot of distance, so my 30-06 guns work just fine. Seem to punch through the brush good as well!

I don't shoot a lot of distance, so my 30-06 guns work just fine. Seem to punch through the brush good as well!

There is some logic in that ... amongst all of the confusing 'look at my gun collection' comments.

You guys are all light years ahead of me in gun knowledge. I've never hunted any big game besides WI whitetails with a rifle. Dad bought me a Model 4 Remington 30-06 when I was 16 or 17 (I think). I have no idea how many deer I killed with that rifle, but it was quite a few. I don't recall ever taking a shot much over 125 yards and usually more around 30-50 yards. Killed 'em dead every darn time. Certainly not what I'd take on an elk hunt out west...but I have no intention of ever doing that.
That gun would make a fine elk rifle Stu. ( BTW.....I just (two weeks ago) sold a #4 Remmy up at Reeds in Walker. Good shooting gun too! )

Logic? Ever try printing a 1" group while" punching" thru brush? Try it.

No, but I am not concerned about 1" groups in some situations. Quite honestly I know a lot of range dogs that can't perform in the field under hunting conditions.

Years ago I used to walk and stalk in some pretty tight swamp/marsh conditions. I'd walk 2-4 steps and then pause for 5-10 minutes. Would cover about a 1/4 mile in a couple of hours looking for deer that had decided to sit tight.

Used 220 grain bullets in my 30-06 ... was only interested in clearing small twigs and branches and pie plating my target area ... was a lot of fun and took deer that nobody else knew were there late season.

Difference between hunting & shooting ...

Knock down power and accuracy-.30-06 or .308

flat shooting-.270 or .25-06

knock down vs recoil efficiency - 7mm-08

End of the day, all the differences are very small.

1 inch groups while deer hunting? Now that is silly!

I love how convoluted these discussions become. :D

I believe Jbird said he was hunting in an open area so comparing brush guns might not be what he is interested in. 30/06 is a fine gun no doubt but for open terrains and longer distance it wouldn't be my first choice.

243 hasn't let me down yet. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I do like the Hornady ammunition over the cheap Remington core-lokt. Much better blood trail, although they typically are down within sight.
bench 1" groups become 4 inch deer hunting groups, 4 inch bench groups become laughter and tag soup.

Really? You have a shooting bench in all you stands?

I am laughing now! Hahahaha!

You can kinda back into this perfect cartridge deal. To me.....if there were a perfect bullet weight and diameter for a whitetail bullet it would be 7mm and from 130 to 150 grains. Not too big....nor too small to get the job done. Getting it to fly at a fast and flat trajectory is the job of the case size and characteristics. Those cartridges doing this work were previously noted.

Perosnally I don't like 120 grains or less......nor 165 grains or more. One is too little and one too much. Now.....the BC has to be suited for reasonable or long ranges too. Lotsa small factors that add up to big differences. Then too.....you gotta be able to handle the recoil and the gun size and weight on YOUR hunts.

Who needs a gun if you got giesha girls and massage?

Adding fuel to the fire:

By Chuck Hawks

Curious about the popularity of centerfire rifle cartridges among reloaders? There usually isn't a dramatic change from year to year; it is more like a glacial movement. Regardless, here is RCBS's 2012 sales list (first published in 2013) for their top 10 best selling rifle reloading die sets:

1. .223 Remington
  2. .308 Winchester
  3. .30-06 Springfield
  4. .243 Winchester
  5. .270 Winchester
  6. .300 Winchester Magnum
  7. .22-250 Remington
  8. 7mm Remington Magnum
  9. .30-30 Winchester
  10. .25-06 Remington
Although missing the top 10, .338 Winchester Magnum remains the best selling of all medium bore cartridge reloading dies. The most interesting changes on this RCBS die sales list are the .308 surpassing the .30-06 as the number one big game hunting cartridge among reloaders and the .300 Win. Mag. passing the 7mm Rem. Mag. Since all .300 Magnums indisputably kick too hard for most hunters to handle without flinching, the latter is particularly deplorable.

Less surprising in this magnum oriented hunting climate is the decline of the .30-30, which has slid in reloading die sales over the last decade or so. (Of course, the .30-30 has always been a better seller in factory loaded ammunition than in reloading dies.) I regard this trend as unfortunate, as the .30-30 is all the cartridge most hunters will ever need and it kicks much less than the magnums, allowing more precise bullet placement.

The increasing emphasis on long range shooting in the mass sporting media is, no doubt, responsible for this trend. However, it flies in the face of the reality that the percentage of clean deer kills falls dramatically as the range increases beyond about 160 yards. With typical factory loads, the .30-30 is a 200+ yard cartridge, more than enough range for all but a tiny minority of deer, hog and black bear hunters. Encouraging hunters to shoot at game animals beyond the maximum point blank range (+/- 3") of their rifle/cartridge combination is a recipe for wounded and lost animals, a fact that has been repeatedly demonstrated.

My Daughter is shooting my 150 grain Hornady bullets, Interlock I think?

I am shooting 150 grain Fusion's from Federal. Not that they are any better or worse, I got a box from my buddy that works at Federal in Anoka MN. And they do shoot as straight, hope they have the knock down power!

243 hasn't let me down yet. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I do like the Hornady ammunition over the cheap Remington core-lokt. Much better blood trail, although they typically are down within sight.
My only concern with .243 is you have less options. I have seen situations where the gun shoots its best groups in 55-60 grains but this is more of a varmint round. So you end up shooting a less accurate round to get a more suitable weight. I understand this isn't always the case and doesn't affect most people but I have always liked to have the options.