Rhino limer

Wind Gypsy,
IDK how it compares to the paper mill 'byproduct' your neighbor is having spread, but several years back, I saw a presentation by Dr. Bob van Saun (PennSt.U veterinarian) on a farm that had uses an 'alkalinizing' product which was a waste/byproduct of some automobile parts polishing process... much cheaper than lime, and did, indeed, alter pH. But... the fairly immediate, and long-term effects on health and reproduction of the livestock on that farm was devastating. At this point, I don't remember what else was in that product (cadmium, molybdenum, etc.), but sometimes a 'cheap fix' is way more costly in the long run.
With all the stuff now coming forward about 'forever chemicals' (PFAS, etc.), I'm pretty sure I don't want anyone spreading industrial waste on my property.
I think those plants are required to test that stuff before it can be spread. A long time ago, I found the pollution control agencies site where they tested all the fly ash from those plants. At one time, I had a notion to try to get a load of it out of Grand Rapids. I let the idea pass, mostly because of handling logistics.

well........ I got my 12 foot JD drop seeder/lime spreader and still looking for Mr Haney to cut it down to a more usable width
8 to 10 feet

bill

I have had a Ground Buster for a long time. Spread a lot of lime with it and it works as advertised.

Do the spinners/agitators disengage from the axle for traveling longer distances ?

bill

Do the spinners/agitators disengage from the axle for traveling longer distances ?

bill
The deluxe version does but that version is something like $2k over the standard one IIRC.

The deluxe version does but that version is something like $2k over the standard one IIRC.
My EZ Flow hubs do not disconnect from that beater......so mine is spinning when I am transporting and with the gate closed. I have not had any issues that have resulted from this but I also was worried about it. I suppose I traveled up to 1/2 mile to spread some lime with that gate closed. If you were doing this every day it would be another matter. I have not spread lime in quite a few years now. There is a HUGE difference in the land where I applied lime some ten years ago......and the new land I've broken in the past few years.

The land I limed 10 years ago.....is quite similar to the land I broke in the past few years. But the "old" limed land is really producing nice plots for me.

Attachments

• T_00019-3.JPG
    T_00019-3.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 12

bill

Mine is one of the early models and the agitator does not disengage. I am not sure if the newer models are the same or if they changed the design.

Mine is one of the early models and the agitator does not disengage. I am not sure if the newer models are the same or if they changed the design.

Any issues with "bridging" of lime during transport to destination?

bill

The minimum I can get is 8 ton at a time and if I don’t get it spread and the lime gets wet I do have some bridging. I have a bar that I work the lime with when I get to the plot and start spreading and that gets it going and solves the problem. Not a big deal but being able to disengage the agitator would indeed solve the problem and a design improvement. The newer ones may have been redesigned, mine is easily over a decade old.

Hey MN guys - found this thread and it’s hitting home for me. I have a new to me 40 acre property North of Parker’s Prairie and I’m struggling with how to solve me lime delivery and application needs. I have soil tests from 4 of my 7 plots. They total only approximately 1.6 acres with the biggest two being 0.9 and 0.25. So 5 are really small. But getting equipment bigger than a Skidsteer back into the majority of these plots is a challenge. Any advice from any of you who are in the area? Would any of you be willing to rent out your pull behind drop spreaders? Otherwise my best solution at this point is to order up a pallet of 50# bags and drop them on each plot spaced out evenly and then just slit and spread by hand.

Thank you all in advance from this novice food plotter

Hey MN guys - found this thread and it’s hitting home for me. I have a new to me 40 acre property North of Parker’s Prairie and I’m struggling with how to solve me lime delivery and application needs. I have soil tests from 4 of my 7 plots. They total only approximately 1.6 acres with the biggest two being 0.9 and 0.25. So 5 are really small. But getting equipment bigger than a Skidsteer back into the majority of these plots is a challenge. Any advice from any of you who are in the area? Would any of you be willing to rent out your pull behind drop spreaders? Otherwise my best solution at this point is to order up a pallet of 50# bags and drop them on each plot spaced out evenly and then just slit and spread by hand.

Thank you all in advance from this novice food plotter
I'm on a road trip for a few days. But I do have a name and phone number to buy ag-lime by the trailer load. Comes out of a paper mill and is mixed with ashes. Price I was given delivered was about $500 for a 24 ton trailer load. I'm gonna apply it with my drop spreader. I need to get soil sample results prior to application.....and I got the sample in my truck for shipment tommorow.

I do not know where you can rent a drop spreader....never seen any for rent....but maybe one of the other guys on here have one to rent? I got too many acres to consider pell lime.

But with 1.6 acres that is what I would do too. You can get a skid price from TSC. if your young and have enough friends....maybe you could spread by hand or with bag spin spreaders.....but that is way too much work for me. I did that a few years ago....and applied it with a PTO cone spreader. Lots of folks with a small tractor and a PTO spreader......start asking neighbors??

I'm on a road trip for a few days. But I do have a name and phone number to buy ag-lime by the trailer load. Comes out of a paper mill and is mixed with ashes. Price I was given delivered was about $500 for a 24 ton trailer load. I'm gonna apply it with my drop spreader. I need to get soil sample results prior to application.....and I got the sample in my truck for shipment tommorow.

I do not know where you can rent a drop spreader....never seen any for rent....but maybe one of the other guys on here have one to rent? I got too many acres to consider pell lime.

But with 1.6 acres that is what I would do too. You can get a skid price from TSC. if your young and have enough friends....maybe you could spread by hand or with bag spin spreaders.....but that is way too much work for me. I did that a few years ago....and applied it with a PTO cone spreader. Lots of folks with a small tractor and a PTO spreader......start asking neighbors??
Thanks for the quick reply. I want to avoid Pell lime simply because it’s an annual application. I’d like to space out this application rate a little and gain some more life out of an ag lime application now.

What’s lime doing coming from a paper mill? Are you sure it’s lime and not something else?

Thanks for the quick reply. I want to avoid Pell lime simply because it’s an annual application. I’d like to space out this application rate a little and gain some more life out of an ag lime application now.

What’s lime doing coming from a paper mill? Are you sure it’s lime and not something else?
I stand corrected - this looks like a valuable product - not sure how easily applied though?

I just picked up at 12' even-flow drop spreader for $50. It's rusty on the surface, but solid. 2 new tires and I think it'll be rolling.

@eyzfishin I’m planning to rent out my rhino limer to a few folks a year to help justify my investment. It hasn’t come out from storage yet this year but I should have it available soon if you’re interested.

I’m located in Monticello, the spreader is currently at another forum members place near Cushing.

I live in Elk River and my land is West of Cushing 30-40 miles depending on exactly where they are.

Debating about when to get lime delivered to be able to apply.

Message me or hell just text me
612-251-5462

@eyzfishin I’m planning to rent out my rhino limer to a few folks a year to help justify my investment. It hasn’t come out from storage yet this year but I should have it available soon if you’re interested.

I’m located in Monticello, the spreader is currently at another forum members place near Cushing.

Not too sure about pell lime being an "annual" expense. Allot will depend on how you care for your "soil". With the right plan....you could do away with the need for future lime requirements. It will take some "learning".....but this can be done. Keep the faith.

Not too sure about pell lime being an "annual" expense. Allot will depend on how you care for your "soil". With the right plan....you could do away with the need for future lime requirements. It will take some "learning".....but this can be done. Keep the faith.

Depending how far he has or hasn’t or desires to go down the lime rabbit hole, here’s some more reading:

We had an old 8' drop spreader with a single auger. We spread about 15 tons of lime with it, but that thing was a giant PITA. The moderately dry lime seemed to bridge, requiring us to stir/knock down the lime. It's also wide, and was tough getting into place. We used out tractor load it, and a Ranger Diesel to pull it. A full load in damp conditions tended to be tougher to pull. We sold that thing, and upgraded to a Groundbuster 4' DS4000. It's much handier, but trickier to load with a 6' bucket. A few weeks ago we spreader some high mag ag lime. It was fairly damp, but did a reasonable job. Works GREAT with mostly dry lime. Also have the fertilizer bottom plate on it. It's a 20 minute job to switch the plates. Depending on how much lime I needed to spread, and how wet it would be, I'd consider the dual paddle model, if it's in budget.