Rhino limer

Riiiight. LOL You better have allot of other uses. They do make some rolling floor matts for pickup trucks too.....and I can see that working.....If you have lots of energy and kids with shovels.

At one point I had considered making a "clam lid" for a tractor bucket too....and use it to "sprinkle:" lime using the loader. Just open the lid...to scoop a bucket full.....close the lid and use a beater powered by a hydraulic motor to agitate the lime through the openings in the bucket lid. I could see this idea being perhaps useful for the rental market....as a QA bucket would attach to most tractors. Good think I am retired.....as that idea could make a little....or lose allot.... of money. LOL
haha, like i said, best advice I tell folks is, to drive about farm country and look into older farms that have equipment laying about, odds are you will find a old drop lime spreader, ALL farmers pretty much had them at one time or another
and most are either still in working order or can be with a little TLC
I have done this many many times over the past 25+ yrs
its way easier than trying to make a bucket into a spreader
not to mention will save you from eating a lot of lime dust to boot!
and I would think a LOT cheaper as well
I have again fixed many of these spreaders, most required just new tires, some rust removal, and or some slight welding to patch any rust holes(not always needed)
then coat things with some POR 15, paint, grease and away they go
from there its just getting who ever uses them to WASH afterwards , re grease and like all things a little care to something and it will last a LONG time
yrs ago when they first made these drop spreaders, many were OVER BUILT, and why so many are still working 60+ yrs later
unlike so much JUNK made today that is JUNK in a few yrs!
which is also another reason why this older stuff is worth looking for!

would depend on the design, can you post any pictures of the inside of the hopper!

to anyone in PA< and or willing to ship, this guy gets a ton of drop spreaders and cultipackers, and many other things food plot friendly items,
and prices tend to be fair to good, considering what some, folks mark them up at!
he runs adds on craiglist and other places,
here is one of his drop spreaders but has lot of things in his inventory section, HE goes to all the farm and land auction in area and picks things up, cleans them fixes them and sells them! so he gets a lot of them in all yr long

great source

The inside of the hopper that i am looking at on craiglist has the same agitators as the one on the site referenced above

bill

^ Check his prices.....I'm gonna be $10 cheaper.....grin. A lime spreader is likely not a good means of making any money.....there are few options for us guys in the Northwoods. I wish I had a closer source for lime (near Brainerd MN) anyone have ideas? An end dump trailer is allot of lime at one time for me these days. My last load was 23 tons. Sure made a difference in growing things tho......
A neighbor to my place by ogilvie says he has the paper mill by cloquet spread byproduct (called it potash) instead of lime to treat his soils. My understanding is potash alone wont impact ph but I assume the byproduct or ash is more than just pure potash. There is some vernacular that my rookie ass doesn't really understand. I'm not sure he even has it spread anymore because they sold all their row crop ground and just do a little beef now.

great source

The inside of the hopper that i am looking at on craiglist has the same agitators as the one on the site referenced above

bill

Sounds like that would be $ ahead of a rhino limer or ground buster if you can get a lime source lined up.

great source

bill
as long as the agitator in it works as it should, it will work on dry pulverized lime, and even mildly damp pulverized lime
the key to any drop spreader when using pulverized lime is having a good agitator to keep it from clumping up and failing to fall they the holes

but I have used dozens of different like models over the decades with bulk lime, loaded with a front end loader or by shovels/bags
all have worked well for me and guys in my camps and properties we used them on!
IF lime was very wet ot clumpy, some times, NOT OFTEN< we would stop and mix the hopper a little to get the clumps to break up and or fall if holding back lime from falling!

a TIP if your buying bulk lime and leaving it on site
what we found works for US, is we get some wood pallets, place a HD tarp over and then get the lime DUMPED on top of that, this way it gets some air flow under it, it seems to help the lime stay dryer than just dumping on the bare ground or just a tarp down on the ground
but we also try to most times spread lime the same day we get it, and order it to be delivered when possible, after a few days of DRY weather, so the supplier also has dry lime to deliver, getting to know the lime place helps get you the best dry lime you can get, its worth spending a little time getting to know them, , be surprised what a 6 pack or two will net you in a rural area HAHA

as long as the agitator in it works as it should, it will work on dry pulverized lime, and even mildly damp pulverized lime
the key to any drop spreader when using pulverized lime is having a good agitator to keep it from clumping up and failing to fall they the holes

but I have used dozens of different like models over the decades with bulk lime, loaded with a front end loader or by shovels/bags
all have worked well for me and guys in my camps and properties we used them on!
IF lime was very wet ot clumpy, some times, NOT OFTEN< we would stop and mix the hopper a little to get the clumps to break up and or fall if holding back lime from falling!

a TIP if your buying bulk lime and leaving it on site
what we found works for US, is we get some wood pallets, place a HD tarp over and then get the lime DUMPED on top of that, this way it gets some air flow under it, it seems to help the lime stay dryer than just dumping on the bare ground or just a tarp down on the ground
but we also try to most times spread lime the same day we get it, and order it to be delivered when possible, after a few days of DRY weather, so the supplier also has dry lime to deliver, getting to know the lime place helps get you the best dry lime you can get, its worth spending a little time getting to know them, , be surprised what a 6 pack or two will net you in a rural area HAHA

Great Idea
Agreed on 850$ for the 12 foot JD spreader

rhino Limer would be 4500$ with shipping

Ag lime 45$/ton here

Everything will be dry in east texas for the next 12 weeks

bill

Great Idea
Agreed on 850$ for the 12 foot JD spreader

rhino Limer would be 4500$ with shipping

Ag lime 45$/ton here

Everything will be dry in east texas for the next 12 weeks

bill
the place i posted i am sure would ship things to folks out of state and shipping isn;t as bad a\s many think,
and just want to add I have NOTHING to do with the place I listed
just for yrs I have been seeing his adds and have stopped in a few times riving by to talk to the guy, plus I have seen him at several auctions I was at in the area as well
which is why I know where he gets a lot of his stuff LOL

Wind Gypsy,
IDK how it compares to the paper mill 'byproduct' your neighbor is having spread, but several years back, I saw a presentation by Dr. Bob van Saun (PennSt.U veterinarian) on a farm that had uses an 'alkalinizing' product which was a waste/byproduct of some automobile parts polishing process... much cheaper than lime, and did, indeed, alter pH. But... the fairly immediate, and long-term effects on health and reproduction of the livestock on that farm was devastating. At this point, I don't remember what else was in that product (cadmium, molybdenum, etc.), but sometimes a 'cheap fix' is way more costly in the long run.
With all the stuff now coming forward about 'forever chemicals' (PFAS, etc.), I'm pretty sure I don't want anyone spreading industrial waste on my property.

Ok, the recently purchased 12 foot JD Spreader is too wide for practical application on trails and smaller plots

8 foot seems more workable for my purposes

I believe Foggy mentioned cutting one down to a smaller size

Is this a big deal? Not a welder, so i will probably have to hire the job out to someone

bill

Ok, the recently purchased 12 foot JD Spreader is too wide for practical application on trails and smaller plots

Is this a big deal? Not a welder, so i will probably have to hire the job out to someone

bill
I had mine made to a six footer by a small local fab shop. The two guys that own it were freinds of mine so I thought I got it done for a fair price.......about $500 IIRC. Basically I kept the two feet in the center and two feet from each end and had those three sections welded together. (thus removing and discarding about two or three feet from either side.). The exception from this is the slide gate which I think was removing a like amount from each end.

I think I documenting this on Tractor By Net. I will do a search and try to provide a link.....or you can google it via: EZ Flow Spreader, Tractor by net.

It made getting around wooded property pretty slick. I pulled it with a wheeler and loaded it with the loader on the tractor.

I could not find my documented build on TBN. Here are some pics tho.....and may give you a clue about what I had done.

Tool'n (a member on this site) did one shortly after I had this one cut down. He had a documented build on one too......and he did the work himself. I think mine may have been documented on the old QDMA site.

Attachments

• cutting the ez flow.jpeg
    cutting the ez flow.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN3726 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3726 (Small).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I had mine made to a six footer by a small local fab shop. The two guys that own it were freinds of mine so I thought I got it done for a fair price.......about $500 IIRC. Basically I kept the two feet in the center and two feet from each end and had those three sections welded together. (thus removing and discarding about two or three feet from either side.). The exception from this is the slide gate which I think was removing a like amount from each end.

I think I documenting this on Tractor By Net. I will do a search and try to provide a link.....or you can google it via: EZ Flow Spreader, Tractor by net.

It made getting around wooded property pretty slick. I pulled it with a wheeler and loaded it with the loader on the tractor.
just saying on level ground, we manage to tow a 10 ft drop spreader with about 1800 lbs of lime in it, NO problem
be surprised how a ATV can tow things on LEVEL ground
once you get on slopes or hills it can get tricky with just an ATV though!

I bought 2 pieces of junk EZ Flow spreaders, one was 12' long the with only one wheel the other 4'. The bigen was rotted out in places and the small one was rigged up for a 3pt hitch. I took the 2 and made 1. This was not a cut down job it was sectioning. I kept 2 drive wheel ends and the center section of the larger one. By doing it this way the auger was 2 pieces driven by each wheel. The cneter section had a bearing for both augers. Each side was driven independently, this way you would get even distribution when turning. Using the 2 end section along with the center section I made mine 6' wide. I'll post up some pics. The only thing I would have done different is what I used to paint the inside. I had some truck bed liner left over so I used it. Because of the texture Lime stuck to it. Plain old primer would have been better. You have to be carefull where you cut, so when everything is welded back together the drop holes line up with the sliding gate. If you have any question PM me.
1.jpg3.JPG10.JPG11.JPG8.JPG13.JPG14.JPG22.jpg27.jpg

Last edited:
just saying on level ground, we manage to tow a 10 ft drop spreader with about 1800 lbs of lime in it, NO problem
be surprised how a ATV can tow things on LEVEL ground
once you get on slopes or hills it can get tricky with just an ATV though!
^ Good points.....yep, my land is quite flat. I did apply my first dump truck load of ag lime with a ten footer (plus tires). That was tricky to get around using my Kawa 400 at the time. It takes a fair amount of "grunt" to turn those beaters and pull that buggy with a wheeler. I had to get pretty creative to get that spreader where I wanted it. Banged into a few stumps and had some difficulty turning around and getting into any tight areas. Still......it was FAR easier to apply than by hand.....no comparison.

Thus I sectioned my EZ Flow down to six feet - which is the width of my loader bucket. This reduced the capacity to about 1000 lbs of lime per tub-full. When I got 23 tons via an end dump trailer......I applied the entire load across my plots in one day. So I believe I was able to do 46 loads that day......and had no help. <-----just for a point of reference.

My lime spreader has not rolled for a few years now....but maybe next year I will do another load. I got about 4 or 5 acres that could be improved upon. Last time a 23 ton load cost me about $700 +/- for dolomitic crushed limestone. Most of that expense is trucking costs (the load came from a quarry near the Twin Cities). Wonder what that price is today?

One thing for certain......is that lime amended land will produce FAR better crops than my low PH sandy loam (I think my starting point is about 5.5 or so). The last soil samples I did on my best plots.....the PH was nearly 7. I need to get some soil samples sent to a lab to determine what I need to do. This year is out. I gotta do a little grubbing to prepare some new shooting lanes / food plots.

One more point about Dolmetic lime.....is that it was said to me.....that the Dolmetic lime does not "wash through" sandy soil as quickly as calcitic lime. I think that has been the case for me....as my amended land continues to produce after ten years.....tho I have added a little pell lime at times. In MN all lime shipments come with a CCEC certification telling you the lime effectiveness. At least Hull Brothers provided me that.

And......that is all I have to say about that. grin.

Last edited:
Tumbled into another thread on TBN.
page-2

Tumbled into another thread on TBN.
page-2
page-2

bill
Treedaddy.....click on that "Page 2" post directly above to see where I sectioned my EZ Flow to do the build. I think this will help you allot. Good luck......and I hope you can find a good welding shop to do it affordably. PM me if you need some more answers. It was well worth my time.....looking back.

They say the rhino limer holds a ton, I was probably filling it 3/4 full most of the time and pulling with kodiak 700 atv. It took some grunt to get it started rolling after parking on a slight incline but was no issue at all pulling around my flat fields.

Now I'm running into all kinds of info from back when this was a big topic on TBN. Was allot of fun learning about how to do this project......so I thought I would include this too. You'r gonna need it. Grin.

I bought this 8 footer last fall for $900. Perfect condition except for the tires. It’ll hold appx 1300# I’m told. It worked just great this past spring to spread about 13 tons with my Honda Rubicon 500.

I don’t know what brand it is.

Attachments

• 7A3A4C62-5781-43FF-8462-F52E7E7376CC.jpeg
    7A3A4C62-5781-43FF-8462-F52E7E7376CC.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DFFDD6F0-5D15-41CD-856F-63F1D2E419E5.jpeg
    DFFDD6F0-5D15-41CD-856F-63F1D2E419E5.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 13
  • E2D6F9CC-19F3-4579-AC83-1BE4C29C12DD.jpeg
    E2D6F9CC-19F3-4579-AC83-1BE4C29C12DD.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 4F56C480-6895-41D8-8D83-8C24A25D633B.jpeg