Review: Cold Stream Farm

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Just got my first ever order from Cold Stream Farm. I have to say, I am very impressed so far.
tree 2.jpg

In this box, there are:
-25 Siberian Crabapple
-6 American Mountainash
-6 Serviceberry

+The most secure packaging I've ever seen for shipping bareroot trees.

+The serviceberries are a tad small. I picked Coldstream because they adversised they had larger trees. I ordered 1'-2' and these are probably 6-8." I'll live on that one. Last year I ordered 12" trees from Musser and they were about 2-3" tall. I couldn't believe they even shipped those.

+The Mountainash are huge! I ain't complaining cause I only gotta dig six of them. But I'd bet they're 30" above the root collar. I ordered 1-2'.

+The Siberian crab are right at about 12". That is perfect because I have to plant 25 of them, and I need the be able to dig those holes in about 60 seconds or less.

+Roots seem well wrapped. I added a little moisture just because I can't plant till Tuesday.

Very pleased so far. When I get my Itasca Trees on Tuesday, I'll post a pic of those as well.

I have been ordering from them for awhile..Always top notch..Got mine this week as well from them..

Thanks for the review! I've heard good things about their crab apples.

They sure did a nice job with the packaging! I have had good results with the trees I have bought from them. Happy planting...;)

If you can't see it from the pic, they have the base and tops of those trees secured to the bottom of the box with stapled down bands of cardboard.

My hazelnuts from them last year looked good, the persimmons were poor from Cold Stream.

Now the work begins. But if your like me working on the property is like play.

I'd try to protect those crab apples if you can. The voles keep getting to mine in the fields. The snow was so high this year they were able to get above my tree tube and chew on them. Little turds also chewed on my favorite state fair apple tree this year.

I've been a victim of the same on my very first chestnut crab. I'm putting mine in 6' tubes. Everything is going in 6 foot tubes this year.

Can't wait to pick up my order this weekend from them, I have about 25 AM Hazelnuts and 3 more sweet crabapples and I'll be done, yee haw boys!

I have 100 plum and crab apple coming from them but have not received a ship date yet. Starting to worry a bit. Last week my MDC order came on Saturday with no notice, trees sat on porch for two days. Wish I could of planted them before all the rain came.

I have 100 plum and crab apple coming from them but have not received a ship date yet. Starting to worry a bit. Last week my MDC order came on Saturday with no notice, trees sat on porch for two days. Wish I could of planted them before all the rain came.
I just finished planting 25 of each from them. 3 footers. I drilled 3 inch holes 20 inches deep did 25 an hour. All caged too.

Attachments

• 2014A1.jpg
    2014A1.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 10
I just finished planting 25 of each from them. 3 footers. I drilled 3 inch holes 20 inches deep did 25 an hour. All caged too.
I will be picking through rock. I may start digging the holes this weekend if I get my MDC order planted. I have 3' coming too, how big are the roots?

I drilled 20 inch holes. Roots were from 14-18 inches. Piking thru rock does not sound fun..

mountain ash are a neat item, birds love the fruits. I would try to gather seed and start a new batch when possible, I do not think they are a long lived tree.

mountain ash are a neat item, birds love the fruits. I would try to gather seed and start a new batch when possible, I do not think they are a long lived tree.

I have a Mountain Ash in my yard that is 50 years old. The deer are always eating the orange fruit.

^Wow, out by me they tend to get around 8 to 10 inch caliber and then catch fireblight, and falter out over a couple years.

I'm hoping the birds do the reseeding for me. I saw a mountainash in my hometown. Got me to researching. Trying a half dozen to see if the grouse appreciate them.

Let us know about zone hardiness of the products from them.

I once ordered form a different nursery in the same area, and hardiness was borderline. Some dieback in cold winters. I need to see how the bunches crabs came thru this winter.

I'm curious too. I bought from Coldstream and Itasca this year on the hope that more northern nurseries would produce hardier stock. Last year, I bought from Musser Forests in PA:

Cranberry
Elderberry
Wild Plum
Chokecherry
Wild Black Cherry
Serviceberry

After this winter, it'll be interesting to see which of those made it through. I'm hoping to get back up to check over memorial weekend.