Red root pigweed

I would nuke it, plant winter rye heavy. Use this year as a RRP weed suppression year. You could also roll the winter rye in late Aug. and replant it for a fall plot so the deer have something fresh growing for the fall. If you dont get control of that RRP it will kill your beans anyhow.

how wide are your rows and how many acres is the plot? Are they wide enough to get a walk behind lawn mower between? If you were able to mow it a couple of times before the beans canopy it MAY HELP but I doubt it will prevent all of it from going to seed. Just make sure to over seed heavy with rye this fall to help compete with the problem weed next spring.

rows are 20" so prolly not on the mower.

I would nuke it, plant winter rye heavy. Use this year as a RRP weed suppression year. You could also roll the winter rye in late Aug. and replant it for a fall plot so the deer have something fresh growing for the fall. If you dont get control of that RRP it will kill your beans anyhow.

I am seriously thinking about this. I could replant beans and get good browse, but prolly not much pod production.

What about some of the other herbicides available for non RR beans? I planted some beans a few years back that I was unsure of resistance. I got a small package of granular herbicide from the local coop. I mixed it with water and applied it with a backpack sprayer. (the only sprayer I have) It did a pretty decent job controlling weeds. I think it would have been much better If i applied it a week or two sooner though. I have no idea what it was but will try to remember to check the label when I get home from work.

I am seriously thinking about this. I could replant beans and get good browse, but prolly not much pod production.

I have about an acre plot that I sprayed about a month ago. It just seemed like every time I wanted to get at planting it something came up. I was going to get it in last week but there was a bad accident in our family so it got put on hold. Was still hoping to plant it anyway but now it wont stop raining and I'm going to have to step in and help my brother in law out for the next twelve weeks. They have 4 houses to build and are down to a crew of 1.

I’d nuke it with whatever your extension agent recommends and build your plot program on those fields around cultural and herbicide management of pigweed. That may mean using grass crops (corn, milo, millet), cool season legumes that can be mowed, or even rotating the plots out of production and into nwsg or wildflowers. Being an annual, your best strategy is to break the seeding cycle. Give a minimum of 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were to hand spray 2-4d between the rows is there a possibility of the chemical going thru the soil into the corn and bean plants? I know gly is sterile once it hits dirt, but I thought 2-4d had some residual.

From what I’ve read it does remain in the soil for a bit. (Two weeks) dependent on rain. But if it’s in the soulmit can migrate.

If the plot is mostly corn I’d try. But if it’s heavier on the bean side I may not chance it.

Maybe do some research on liberty herbicide to see if it is active in the soil or not. If it breaks down like gly I’d go that route over 2-4,-D

If I were to hand spray 2-4d between the rows is there a possibility of the chemical going thru the soil into the corn and bean plants? I know gly is sterile once it hits dirt, but I thought 2-4d had some residual.

From what I’ve read it does remain in the soil for a bit. (Two weeks) dependent on rain. But if it’s in the soulmit can migrate.

If the plot is mostly corn I’d try. But if it’s heavier on the bean side I may not chance it.

Maybe do some research on liberty herbicide to see if it is active in the soil or not. If it breaks down like gly I’d go that route over 2-4,-D

Liberty is only good for Libertylink beans. It will kill beans that aren’t.

2-4,d is prone to getting up and drifting in this heat. Doubt you’ll be able to spray between rows with volatilizing and damaging the crop.

Flexstar at the max rate which I believe is 12 oz per acre

Liberty is only good for Libertylink beans. It will kill beans that aren’t.

2-4,d is prone to getting up and drifting in this heat. Doubt you’ll be able to spray between rows with volatilizing and damaging the crop.

I get that :). Nova was looking to spray between the rows. Not on the crop.

Nova,
Now that I think about it. I asked my local co-op guy about Butyrac 2-4,DB a few years ago for clover.

He didn’t have any but said they used to spray them on beans. Said the beans curled but bounced back.

Might be worth asking around locally with the old farmers.

I'll confuse the issue a bit and say your pigweed is growing due to a mineral imbalance in your soil. As long as that imbalance lasts, pigweed will continue to germinate as nature is trying to use it to correct the imbalance.

My approach would be to let the pigweed grow until just before it seeds, then chop it and drop it there as mulch. Then as it's broken down and absorbed by the soil life, the mineral imbalance will be corrected, and pigweed won't germinate next year. This will only work if you're no till and have healthy soil life.

The next option would be a full spectrum soil test which tells you where your imbalance is. Then add minerals as needed.

you can spray cobra or ultrablazer over it while pigweed is small could burn beans a little but they will grow through it.

I picked up some 2-4d last night and am going to hit the 2 plots hard tonight with it, then wait until next Friday and replant beans. Next spring I am going to rip up both plots, cultipack them and wait until mid June and hit them hard with 2-4D again. Then try planting late again next year. Not sure what I'll plant next year, but thinking winter rye.

I picked up some 2-4d last night and am going to hit the 2 plots hard tonight with it, then wait until next Friday and replant beans. Next spring I am going to rip up both plots, cultipack them and wait until mid June and hit them hard with 2-4D again. Then try planting late again next year. Not sure what I'll plant next year, but thinking winter rye.

Tillage=pigweed

My neighbor and I both have backyard gardens maybe 50 yards apart- same soil types, history, etc. I cover crop and no till, he does neither. I’ve never had pigweed, and his garden last year was lost to it. Tillage causes the biological imbalance mentioned above and pigweed is the scab to heal it.

Tillage=pigweed

My neighbor and I both have backyard gardens maybe 50 yards apart- same soil types, history, etc. I cover crop and no till, he does neither. I’ve never had pigweed, and his garden last year was lost to it. Tillage causes the biological imbalance mentioned above and pigweed is the scab to heal it.

Actually if you read the link that Wiscchip posted about pigweed on post #15 they come right out and say that no till practices are as bad if not worse for spreading pigweed. I did no till on one of these plots last year. Grew winter rye until late July, then rolled sprayed and broadcast brassica and cultipacked. The pigweed was not in the plot at all last year, but is in there big time this year. The article actually mentions deep tilling several times to terminate pigweed.

I farm. Never rely on glyphosate for anything other than grass control again. Best defense against waterhemp is to never let them germinate. That means spraying a pre emerge.

If you go to liberty next year you need to spray LOTS of water to get excellent coverage, high pressure, spray in the heat of the day, and get them small. Everything is easier to kill when its small.

I would try a full rate of flexstar or cobra and full rate powermax with plenty oil. Add in some warrant for residual. They will damn near turn the beans brown, but they will come back nicely and pod like crazy.

I can't justify going to liberty. Seed cost and chemical are too high. I get 50lb bags of RR ag beans for $10 per bag.

It's too late anyway, the RRP was already starting to outgrow the beans. I hit both plots Wednesday night with 2-4D. I was happy to see last night the RRP was wilting badly. So were the beans, but I can replant them. The corn seems unaffected.RRP.jpg

You can afford to own beautiful hunting land in OTC, but you cant spend an extra $35 on a bag or two of beans? I know plenty of farmers that bought liberty beans for $40-45 this year. Roundup doesnt work so it doesnt matter if you get it for free. Keep doing what your doing and the mess is just gonna get much worse.