Red Osier Dogwood Cuttings Source

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have any ROD cuttings that are available?

Thanks

I got my yellow twig dogwood from John at Big Rock trees a few years back. He sponsored this forum. I believe he sold the business and retired. I don't know if the new owner is selling them or not. It is worth a check. I believe Yellow twig dogwood is just another color phase of ROD.

Thanks

Big Rock is showing lots of them in stock on their website in 12'' and 24''. The ground fabric they sell is good quality as well.

PS: I just bought a few rooted RODs from Burgess that I felt were reasonably priced. I wanted a quick start in an area I'm trying to screen better. They haven't arrived yet, so not sure how good they are going to look. (8 rooted shrubs from 1 foot to 2 foot for $11.50 plus tax and shipping). I will use these to get more cuttings for the future.

The dogwoods I bought as RODs years ago are actually Grey Dogwoods. Greys look very similar to RODs and some of their growth has a red cast. Since neither are native here, it took me a few years to figure this out. However, Greys are a fine shrub too.

Last edited:
They arrived and did indeed have roots:

vCjhFvy.jpg

qvEhNG3.jpg

The ones I planted last year from the SWCD had a 90% survival and the propagated ones I planted had about a 15% survival. I bought more rooted plants this year but still plan to propagate a couple buckets full since the price is right.

Thanks
Im no expert on what are the best cuttings, but I have 5 million Red Oiser Dogwoods in my backyard, from 1' tall to 12' tall. Id be happy to go back there and cut how ever many you'd want of whatever size you'd want, and send them to you.

Coldstream also has rooted ones

Im no expert on what are the best cuttings, but I have 5 million Red Oiser Dogwoods in my backyard, from 1' tall to 12' tall. Id be happy to go back there and cut how ever many you'd want of whatever size you'd want, and send them to you.
Where mare you located

SWIFFY, If you’re not too far from Monticello I’d be happy to come cut some for the others and take some myself! I’ve been eyeing road ditches for a couple weeks and haven’t seen any I’m 100% comfortable with taking.

If you're taking cuttings for folks, they are best taken when well dormant. They are planted with 2 buds above the medium and 2 buds below, so take cuttings that have 4 buds. Cuttings the diameter of a finger have worked well for me.

I’m in central Minnesota, 100 miles west of the cities. Wind Gypsy you are welcome to all you want!

Finished some cuttings today. Anyone in the area of SE MN need any? I'm probably going to propagate all of these but I can get more. They'll probably be budded out by next weekend, so now is the time.20220501_100318.jpg

Finished some cuttings today. Anyone in the area of SE MN need any? I'm probably going to propagate all of these but I can get more. They'll probably be budded out by next weekend, so now is the time.View attachment 42707
You probably have 3 or 4 cuttings on each of those. That is a lot to propagate. Best bet is 4 buds, 2 above ground and two below.

You probably have 3 or 4 cuttings on each of those. That is a lot to propagate. Best bet is 4 buds, 2 above ground and two below.
Big Rock sells them in lengths up to 24" so I think it'll be fine, but generally I agree that the shorter the better. The areas I'll be stabbing these in the ground have cool season grasses, so I want them a little longer so they can gather sunlight.

Last year the ones I propagated weren't deep enough(I think) and the moderate to severe drought we had caused the roots to dry out.

Big Rock sells them in lengths up to 24" so I think it'll be fine, but generally I agree that the shorter the better. The areas I'll be stabbing these in the ground have cool season grasses, so I want them a little longer so they can gather sunlight.

Last year the ones I propagated weren't deep enough(I think) and the moderate to severe drought we had caused the roots to dry out.

Yes they do, but when John was running it he told me to get multiple plantings from each stick that size. He recommended 2 buds above and 2 below ground and it worked very well. Keep in mind they have no roots when you plan them unless you start them indoors. That means they can't support a lot of top. I planted them so the two buds were just above ground level. I'd try to remove the grasses or at least mow them flat to give the cuttings a fair shot.

Best of luck!