Red Osier Cuttings

NWWI

5 year old buck +
I have grown ROD cuttings in my yard at home where I can water them as much as needed. The ones I have tried to plant at our camp have been more problematic. I tried black plastic but without enough rain it's hard to get them to take off. My question was if any one has tried planting a full sized cutting with branches. I tried a few last spring and am waiting for spring to see if they took. A few got stuck into wet areas and they were all ready about the competing grasses. Anyone else experiment with this?

I haven't had much luck with them in dry years.
Of all the shrubs I've tried button bush seems to be the hardiest on my place.

Less than 5% of your planned shrub browse planting. RDO cuttings have least chance of survival unless you cage and spray competitive elemnets..

Better off to pick RDO berries and toss them for dispesrsion.

Get 3-2 transplants, prep ground, cage them and they will be seed shrubs once they get berries.

I guess what I was wondering if any one has taken 2-3 foot dogwood cutting with branches and all and planted it the same as a 12" cutting.
I think I should stick to bare root as a few have recommended.

I've stuck 18" ROD cuttings in a vase of 12" of water water and never could get any to root out???

what about planting bare root ROD in a area in a farm field that stays too wet to plant,doesn't hold water and during summer may dry up enough to drive across.

Dogwoods are tough. Especially ROD, VERY slow to establish from cuttings. It can be done, but everything has to be done perfectly on the right site.

Do NOT leave all of the branches on, the top growth will out-pace the root development.

Longer is better, but no more than 1/3 of the cutting above ground after it is planted.

Competition has to be kept down, or they will lose the race and die.

-John

Dogwoods are tough. Especially ROD, VERY slow to establish from cuttings. It can be done, but everything has to be done perfectly on the right site.

Do NOT leave all of the branches on, the top growth will out-pace the root development.

Longer is better, but no more than 1/3 of the cutting above ground after it is planted.

Competition has to be kept down, or they will lose the race and die.

-John
What some of the "easier" cuttings to establish?

I have had pretty good luck with them, especially the yellow twig dogwoods.The one thing I think I did wrong when I started was leaving to much out of the ground. I now only leave a inch or two out and they seem to better. I would say willows of any kind are the easiest for me.

Certainly Hybrid poplar and willows are good candidates. Many will depend on your soil type and competition.

As ruskbucks has said, of all the dogwoods I've tried yellow twig are the easiest to establish (and I prefer their shape when mature, almost like a lilac bush).

Hybrid willow and hybrid poplar are no brainers. if they get moisture, they will grow in gravel.

Of the non-hybrids, any willow is nearly guaranteed as well.

As with all cuttings, keep the water on and the weeds off and they will do well. Usually that means some kind of ground cover.

-John