Red-Osier and Silky Dogwood Enhancements

Spiider

5 year old buck +
I've got a good problem for once... I've got a nice swath of Red-Osier and Silky dogwoods that are looking like they will naturally meet up to a very small section of mature trees and brush, over time. The ground is damp year round, but not flooded. Is there anything I can or should do to promote faster, healthy growth for the dogwood in that area? It is heavily saturated with weed growth all around it. And the deer of course browse on much of the new growth each year. Could I spray the weeds without harming the dogwoods? Should I brushhog as much as possible while trying to avoid as much dogwood as I can? Should I leave it alone? What would you do?

If you can see it in the picture, the small section of trees towards the right (behind the tree tubes), then a void, and then you can see the young dogwood, followed by the mature stand of them.

Attachments

• WP_20150102_005 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20150102_005 - Copy.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 33
When I have a decent Red-Osier dogwood growing and I want to expand the shrub thicket, I bend down a long branch from the ROD and put a shovel full of dirt on it. Since the branch is still connected to the main group, it's alive and will do well until the part of the branch that is now touching the ground grows roots. You could also go out there right now and snip off some 18" cuttings and push them in the wet soil as far as you can and some of them will likely live. I've had some problems with cutting survival though in areas where there's a significant amount of weed competition though.

If it were my land, I wouldn't spray anything in the area since you might hurt some of the shrubs you're trying to protect. If a different type of undesirable shrub starts to take over I would cut it down or brush hog it.

I'd say leave it alone. Both of those species will thrive in wetter ground, and the weeds should have a harder time. I would definitely not spray anything until after any chance of collecting water (i.e. later in the summer). How many are we talking about? If it's 20-30 you could pretty easily pile up some wood chips around them to keep the weeds at bay up close. Browsing of dogwoods generally stimulates more growth. They might not get 8 foot, but they will definately be thicker than if they went unbrowsed.

IMO, don't do anything, and if it gets that bad, just protect every other one and do some weed control (I wouldn't spray though).

If u spray, fashion a shield to keep it off the bushes. Stay low and be sure it ain't windy.

I'd sample spray just a few to see if they tolerate it in that situation. Wait a couple weeks and make the call to do or not do the rest.

There are literally hundreds of them, speaking only of the new wave of younger growth. They have been progressing on their own over the last few years. My goal was/is just to see if I can speed up the growth and spread in a healthy manner. I'm going to test a few methods mentioned. Bury some, snip some cuttings, brushhog where there is very little to no new growth yet (put those cuttings here) and then leave the rest alone. Thanks guys!

I would snip them back and do really big cuttings for the next few years, planting them in the gap you want to fill in. The cut back should stimulate new growth/expansion of the patch, and using BIG cuttings should get them above the weeds right out of the gate. New growth is best, but I've used old growth and had 3' cuttings take with really high success rates. Bulb planter on a drill and get them down 18" or so, and leave 2' or so above ground. Should be good with ample water.

Good luck !!

There are literally hundreds of them, speaking only of the new wave of younger growth. They have been progressing on their own over the last few years. My goal was/is just to see if I can speed up the growth and spread in a healthy manner. I'm going to test a few methods mentioned. Bury some, snip some cuttings, brushhog where there is very little to no new growth yet (put those cuttings here) and then leave the rest alone. Thanks guys!

Since there are so many protecting and such wouldn't be a good idea. It's a blessing in disguise though, since you can play around with the methods! Let us know how it goes, fellow Michigander!

I would snip them back and do really big cuttings for the next few years, planting them in the gap you want to fill in. The cut back should stimulate new growth/expansion of the patch, and using BIG cuttings should get them above the weeds right out of the gate. New growth is best, but I've used old growth and had 3' cuttings take with really high success rates. Bulb planter on a drill and get them down 18" or so, and leave 2' or so above ground. Should be good with ample water.

Good luck !!

I'm going to have to try this! Most of my one year growth is pretty skinny, so it'll be a lot easier if I can use the matured stuff!

I've got no shortage of old growth either bigeight, I'll try some of both and try the 3' cuttings. The ground is pretty soft so I should be able to push them in by hand most any time of the year.

Will do Rally, thank you! Seems to be a good representation of Michigan folk here :)

I've got no shortage of old growth either bigeight, I'll try some of both and try the 3' cuttings. The ground is pretty soft so I should be able to push them in by hand most any time of the year.

Will do Rally, thank you! Seems to be a good representation of Michigan folk here :)

Only the good ones! I think most of us are in general Mid-Michigan as well. I'm glad to see you on here!

I'm going to have to try this! Most of my one year growth is pretty skinny, so it'll be a lot easier if I can use the matured stuff!

When I have done this in the past, I'll snip it way down at the base, so the new growth is better diameter to use the next spring. The old growth is fine, just can be a bugger to plant because of all the branches. The new growth should be 3-4 ' long on a mature bush the following year. Those are really easy to deal with !

I'll snap some pictures next time I am near one of my transplant areas :)

Love the price tag on projects like this !....free (my favorite kind )