Record Rack Mineral

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I was walking through my local Tractor Supply store (love that place by the way) today and stumbled across Record Rack mineral. It really caught my eye. It looks like a good mineral blend, with the right ratios and trace minerals and vitamins.

What is really nice, is that you get 25lbs for $14. This beats Fleet Farm mineral by about $3, and Antler King by a long shot at $20/20lbs. All three of these have relatively the exact same recipe, at least vs the blends that are majority salt and sugar.

Here's a link to the page: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...;-record-rack-deer-mineral-25-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Any opinions?

That looks like a good price but not to steel the thread but I mix my own. 1 part di-cal, 1 part stock salt & 2 parts trace minerals. How many here go homemade vs store bought? Is there an advantage to store bought?

I believe you get more ingredients vs home mix. That would be just a guess, but I think I am correct.

Curiosity got the best of me so went to the shed and got the ingredients from my bags used for my mix. Also pulled from the web the store bought. I used Record rack as only an example not trying to cut them down I’m only making a side by side comparison. I don’t have the exact figures but salt was around $6, 2 bags trace mineral’s $12 & dicalcium phosphate $25, this made 200 lbs. I’d say they are fairly close but by no means claim to be an expert.

Attachments

• store bought vs homemade mineral ingredents.pdf
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
That looks like a good price but not to steel the thread but I mix my own. 1 part di-cal, 1 part stock salt & 2 parts trace minerals. How many here go homemade vs store bought? Is there an advantage to store bought?
Are you putting minerals out now?

Are you putting minerals out now?

About 2 week's ago.

I always do 2 parts trace mineral to 1 part di-cal. Right around $40 for 150 lbs

I go 1 salt, 1 di-cal,. 2 trace. I have often though about adding some molasses but haven't as of yet.

Hmmmmm 2 weeks ago..You know you cant place minerals out as it is considered baiting.

no minerals or bait until 24 hours before the season opener state wide where baiting is allowed.

Next time you are at tractor supply ease down the isle and compare the ingredient list and price to the cattle mineral bag. We go 1.5 to 1 ratio of stock salt to cattle mineral and get good usage.

Yep you are correct on the 50 yards of a dwelling.

I also mix my own. I thought about the dried molassis, but thought it might attract ants.

no minerals or bait until 24 hours before the season opener state wide where baiting is allowed.

My deer start using my mineral sites around the 1st of the year. I don't have a stand anywhere near my mineral sites. I use them strictly for photo opportunities.

I'm talking about my out of state property :)

-John

My bucks like the 50# trace licks.

This used to be a smooth mound:

IMAG1094.jpg

This is the replacement:

IMAG1095.jpg

hate to say it but those big trace blocks have little in them for antler growth. my blend is one part di cal, one part fine trace mineral salt, mixed with two parts soil at the mineral site.

You've obviously never talked to me about why I hunt. Can't eat antlers and I don't base my abilities as a hunter on the size of rack on the wall.

My deer love these blocks, so for $7 each I'll keep providing them.

I put them out because they like them and it's easy to gauge how much is left.

Loose salt wouldn't work well in the location pictured - well, unless I wanted a bigger hole.

Oaks stumps with the center rotted hole filled with salt and molasses, worked wonders before the days of CWD.

In the past we only used white and trace salt blocks and loose white and trace salt dumped on the ground or stumps. We added dical to our mix this year with 2 parts trace and 1 part dical. I am not convinced that the dical will help free ranging deer that much, but I am willing to give it a shot. I paid similar prices as others, around $7 for the trace and I think it was $24 for the dical.

We have a neighbor that puts out 1,200+ lbs of mineral annually which had historically been trace salt and dical but then he started adding a 3rd ingredient a couple years ago which he is all excited about. I can't remember what it is but I think it mainly adds calcium. He does it on a few different private and public properties that are all within 5 miles or so of our place, with 60 acres bordering ours. We just need to entice the bucks he is juicing up over to our place...

Sorry if that came off harsh Jim, I don't judge ability by rack on the wall either, I just would rather let em get bigger. Wonder what blends the high fence guys use as far as minerals.