Cost Efficient Mineral?

GloryDaysDesign

5 year old buck +
I realize this site is based more on Habitat Improvements, but you guys are very knowledgeable so thought I would post this question here.

I have been researching different mineral options, and to save some money, I thought I would try to buy locally to avoid the heavy shipping costs. I came across this mineral at Tractor Supply. Can anyone verify if this is decent for deer nutrition? Gosh, for $16/50lbs, seems like a deal.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-general-purpose-mineral-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Guaranteed Analysis:
Calcium (Ca) (min.) 13.50%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 16.00%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) 4.00%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) 24.00%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) 28.00%, Sodium (Na) (min.) 10.00%, Sodium (Na) (max.) 12.00%, Magnesium (Mg) (min.) .50%, Potassium (K) (min.) .50%, Iodine (I) (min.) 50.00ppm, Selenium (Se) (min.) 10.00ppm, Selenium (Se) (max.) 11.00ppm, Zinc (Zn) (min.) 750.00ppm, Vitamin A (min.) 12,000IU/lb, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

Producer's Pride General Purpose Mineral is designed to provide needed minerals and vitamins, including salt, to mixed herds containing sheep grazing pasture, rangeland, or drylot forages, but may also be used in a variety of feeding programs. Provides the critical vitamins and minerals needed to support optimal health, reproduction and growth, providing what is often lacking or unbalanced in native pastures and forages or unfortified concentrates.

• Contains no copper and is appropriate for all classes and ages of sheep
  • When feeding beef or non-lactating dairy cattle or goats alone, an additional source of copper may be warranted
Feeding instructions:
Feed free-choice from a sheltered feeder at the rate of 5 oz. per head per day to cattle or 1-2 oz. per head per day to sheep and goats. Alternatively, mix in or top dress an appropriate amount for the ration based on the number of animals consuming a given amount of feed. Always supply fresh, clean water. Additional salt is not needed or recommended. Follow label directions. Feeding added selenium at levels in excess of 0.3 ppm in te total diet is prohibited.

Understand that the product you listed is a feed supplement. That product is to be mixed with other feed material for livestock. It states to target 5oz per head per day for cows and 1 to 2 oz for sheep and goats.

If your wanting to get this to your deer I think you are looking at an actual feeding program. So you have the added cost of the soybeans or corn or whatever to add in as well. I'm not sure if you pour this on the ground you are going to get the result you want. You can try it - nothing wrong with trying. If you are simply trying to attract deer to a particular area - then something with a higher salt content will do that for even cheaper (I use a 50 lb solid trace mineral block for $8 and it lasts me 1/2 the year).

If you want to increase the minerals your deer are getting without a feeding program - in my opinion - fertilize the crap out of everything! Many of those minerals listed are found in fertilizers (potassium and phosphorous in particular are actually part of the numbers to grade fertilizer). Some folks also fertilize their plots with trace minerals. These soak into the soil and thus the plot plants soak it up and then transfer it to the deer that way.

Also keep in mind what we do for the deer food wise is a small portion of their diet and that is why it is difficult to document success on free range deer. AND also understand your baiting laws as well.....

I use Redmond mineral, from the makers of Trophy Rock. It's the same mineral, just crushed fine (leftovers). Not sure if it's any better than a trace block, but the deer seem to like it better. It was around $15/50lb bag. You can find it at feed stores, the link below should have a dealer locator on it, in case you're interested:
http://www.redmondagriculture.com/products/10-fine-mineral-salt/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize this site is based more on Habitat Improvements, but you guys are very knowledgeable so thought I would post this question here.

I have been researching different mineral options, and to save some money, I thought I would try to buy locally to avoid the heavy shipping costs. I came across this mineral at Tractor Supply. Can anyone verify if this is decent for deer nutrition? Gosh, for $16/50lbs, seems like a deal.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-general-purpose-mineral-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Guaranteed Analysis:
Calcium (Ca) (min.) 13.50%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 16.00%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) 4.00%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) 24.00%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) 28.00%, Sodium (Na) (min.) 10.00%, Sodium (Na) (max.) 12.00%, Magnesium (Mg) (min.) .50%, Potassium (K) (min.) .50%, Iodine (I) (min.) 50.00ppm, Selenium (Se) (min.) 10.00ppm, Selenium (Se) (max.) 11.00ppm, Zinc (Zn) (min.) 750.00ppm, Vitamin A (min.) 12,000IU/lb, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

Producer's Pride General Purpose Mineral is designed to provide needed minerals and vitamins, including salt, to mixed herds containing sheep grazing pasture, rangeland, or drylot forages, but may also be used in a variety of feeding programs. Provides the critical vitamins and minerals needed to support optimal health, reproduction and growth, providing what is often lacking or unbalanced in native pastures and forages or unfortified concentrates.

• Contains no copper and is appropriate for all classes and ages of sheep
  • When feeding beef or non-lactating dairy cattle or goats alone, an additional source of copper may be warranted
Feeding instructions:
Feed free-choice from a sheltered feeder at the rate of 5 oz. per head per day to cattle or 1-2 oz. per head per day to sheep and goats. Alternatively, mix in or top dress an appropriate amount for the ration based on the number of animals consuming a given amount of feed. Always supply fresh, clean water. Additional salt is not needed or recommended. Follow label directions. Feeding added selenium at levels in excess of 0.3 ppm in te total diet is prohibited.

Since there are no studies showing mineral supplementation benefit free ranging deer, we are dealing more in opinion than fact when it comes to mineral supplements. So, the most cost effective minerals are those that are used in a way that have a proven benefit to deer. I'd start by doing a soil test and then plant a food plot and apply the minerals P, N, and K along with any trace minerals as called for in your soil test. We know that when these minerals are applied to deer food, not only are the minerals delivered to deer, but they improve the nutrition and energy provided by the crop.

If you look at a deer's diet, you will find that most of it comes from native vegetation. The each plant species has different properties when it comes to mining minerals from the soil. With the wide variety of native plants available to deer, short of disease or genetic defect that causes an inability to absorb a particular vitamin or mineral, you really won't find free ranging deer herds that have a mineral deficiency. Only when deer are penned or their diet is otherwise limited do we see studies that show benefit from mineral supplementation.

On the other hand, there is plenty of data to show how improving the quality food supply during periods of high stress can improve the health of deer. Also, keep in mind that when mineral supplements are delivered as point source attractants (licks, blocks, etc.), they do pose some level of increased spread of some diseases due to an increase in face to face contact.

I tried licks years ago to help inventory bucks. I found there were better ways to accomplish that without the risk and eliminated mineral/salt licks from our program completely.

Thanks,

Jack

I use Redmond mineral, from the makers of Trophy Rock. It's the same mineral, just crushed fine (leftovers). Not sure if it's any better than a trace block, but the deer seem to like it better. It was around $15/50lb bag. You can find it at feed stores, the link below should have a dealer locator on it, in case you're interested:
http://www.redmondagriculture.com/products/10-fine-mineral-salt/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, and put your macro nutrients in your plot (N,P,K,Ca,Mg,S). Then grow as wide of an array of plants that you can. Every single one pulls different goodies up out of the soil and puts them right into your deer. I had planned on 18 different species to plant for this year, but wet soil cut that plan off at the knees. Next year I'd like to get up over 23.

I mix equal partsI blend in equal parts, dical, trace mineral granular salt, and dehydrated molasses powder, I blend this with about an equal part of the soil in the mineral site I am working.

Yoderjac, solid reasoning.

But couldn't one argue.
That the highest abundance and availability of trace minerals would be in new tissue growth in plants.
And as u stated:
"Only when deer are penned or their diet is otherwise limited do we see studies that show benefit from mineral supplementation."

That would open a critical window say from Dec-March (territory dependent of course). That deer would in fact be limited in certain minerals. Due to restricted diet.

Not sure if Im helping or not, but would like to believe. That does carrying fawns, and bucks coming off an intense rut would be given an added boost during a critical stretch of life if provided minerals at this time frame.

I only have one mineral location on the property and place a new rock during this time frame (easy option, always used), usually they don't finish it till late summer during antler development so if that is an added bonus than great.

Am I helping in the grand scheme of things, don't know. But for $20 bucks and some great trail cam photos. Im willing to roll the dice.

Yoderjac, solid reasoning.

But couldn't one argue.
That the highest abundance and availability of trace minerals would be in new tissue growth in plants.
And as u stated:
"Only when deer are penned or their diet is otherwise limited do we see studies that show benefit from mineral supplementation."

That would open a critical window say from Dec-March (territory dependent of course). That deer would in fact be limited in certain minerals. Due to restricted diet.

Not sure if Im helping or not, but would like to believe. That does carrying fawns, and bucks coming off an intense rut would be given an added boost during a critical stretch of life if provided minerals at this time frame.

I only have one mineral location on the property and place a new rock during this time frame (easy option, always used), usually they don't finish it till late summer during antler development so if that is an added bonus than great.

Am I helping in the grand scheme of things, don't know. But for $20 bucks and some great trail cam photos. Im willing to roll the dice.

Interesting argument, but my reasoning holds. If deer aren't getting minerals from plants, they aren't getting nutrition from them either. With vitamins and minerals, more is not better. Once they hit required levels, excess is excreted. If you hypothesis were true, we would see seasonal vitamin deficiencies in necropsy studies. There is no data to indicate that is an issue with deer herds.

I look at it kind of like QDM in general. Plug the lowest hole in the bucket. Mineral deficiencies are never really the lowest hole in the bucket. Once could argue that with limited funds to spend on deer management, resources used to fill higher holes are resources that could be used to better plug lower holes.

Having said that, we are really dealing with opinion here. Cost associate with homebrew mineral mix is pretty low. There are some disease risks with point source attractants but they are not huge. This is an area where folks of good conscience can weigh the costs and risks and possibility of benefits and come to different conclusions.

Thanks,

Jack

as for lower holes in a bucket, where would you spend the 200 dollars instead? I say 200 because that is roughly what I usually spend a year on my mix. 200 could net me 800 lbs of tripple 19 instead?

as for lower holes in a bucket, where would you spend the 200 dollars instead? I say 200 because that is roughly what I usually spend a year on my mix. 200 could net me 800 lbs of tripple 19 instead?

It would really depend on where your holes are. In my case, it would be on permaculture. I'm at the point where I'm looking to improve long-term sustainability. Someone else may do better putting it into food plots or habitat. For some, $200 would go a long way toward a chainsaw for hinging. For me, right now, it is permaculture.

Thanks,

Jack

Very few of the homemade mixes are in a class that benefits deer and act more as a lure because of the salt,doesn't matter if it's redman or rock salt it's still what draws the animal to the site

Very few of the homemade mixes are in a class that benefits deer and act more as a lure because of the salt,doesn't matter if it's redman or rock salt it's still what draws the animal to the site

It doesn't matter if they are homemade or commercial. The same holds true. In some cases it is salt and in others it is sugar. If there are not salts or sugars in the mix deer generally ignore it.

We have tried the block type cattle mineral and it gets completely ignored. I just use trophy rock now. I use it for getting an inventory of bucks and thats about as far as it goes. Im sure they get some benefit from it but like mentioned the deer should be getting all the minerals they need from the plants they eat. That is why i have realized soil tests for food plots are very important. If one balances the trace minerals in their plots along with the ph they become much more attractive. Animals dont necessarily care about taste like humans do, they are going to eat whatever they get the most nutritional value from.

I have been using the 50# trace mineral blocks $6 from my local feed store for over thirty years just sitting on stumps. I get about 8-9 months out of them, they lick them down/chew on the stumps and eat dirt around stumps.
An outstanding way to get pics and I think it helps the deer find minerals they need, it sure doesn't hurt and helps keep them in the neighborhood. Lots of other wildlife visit and lick on them throughout the year too.

Not allowed to use it anymore but when we were I just mixed trace minerals with salt 50:50

Haven't freshened any holes in three years and they still dig dirt and drink water out of those holes.

I'd start by doing a soil test and then plant a food plot and apply the minerals P, N, and K along with any trace minerals as called for in your soil test. We know that when these minerals are applied to deer food, not only are the minerals delivered to deer, but they improve the nutrition and energy provided by the crop.

If you look at a deer's diet, you will find that most of it comes from native vegetation. The each plant species has different properties when it comes to mining minerals from the soil. With the wide variety of native plants available to deer, short of disease or genetic defect that causes an inability to absorb a particular vitamin or mineral, you really won't find free ranging deer herds that have a mineral deficiency.

So, just to cure my own confusion, could one argue that they could put out 10 Mineral Licks to replace 10 Food Plots and save tons more $ and labor hours - if they are getting the same minerals that they would get from a food plot, in a $12 block? I realize this may be the dumbest comment on this forum, but I am just trying to get my friends on board with pinpoint soil testing instead of just throwing out 10-10-10 Fertilizer and 200lbs of Lime each year.

So, just to cure my own confusion, could one argue that they could put out 10 Mineral Licks to replace 10 Food Plots and save tons more $ and labor hours - if they are getting the same minerals that they would get from a food plot, in a $12 block? I realize this may be the dumbest comment on this forum, but I am just trying to get my friends on board with pinpoint soil testing instead of just throwing out 10-10-10 Fertilizer and 200lbs of Lime each year.

Nope. In fact, most of the minerals they are getting as well as energy come from the wide variety of native plants they eat. Each plant species has different abilities to mine different minerals from different soil depth. Mineral deficiencies are not a problem in deer herds. There are no studies to show mineral supplementation benefits free ranging deer at all. More is not necessarily better with minerals and can actually be worse in some cases. We don't see necropsy studies showing mineral deficiencies limiting deer herds.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek. Providing minerals don't benefit deer, but they do benefit plants. By producing more nutritious plants, you money actually goes to improving your deer herd. It is not really the minerals deer are benefitting from, it is the food when nature becomes stingy. Deer herd health has a lot of factors involved, but the first order factor is dirt. The more productive the soils, the more healthy thriving herds you will find. There is not much you can do to improve soils alone on a scale large enough to improve a deer herd. However, you can practically improve soils in a small area (food plots). This still requires scale because deer consume a much higher percentage of native foods than food plots. If an average home range is 1,000 acres (varies with habitat), and you convert 1% to quality foods when nature is not providing them, you can have a measureable impact on the local herd. That is measureable in terms of body weight and antler growth provided you are keeping the population in check with the habitat. At 3% (30 acres) that impact becomes more significant and when you get beyond 5% you begin hitting the law of diminishing returns. The key here is choosing food sources that produce when your deer are under stress because nature is not producing sufficient quality foods.

My point is that I don't see any value in mineral supplements and some negative aspects like increased disease spread if they are applied in point source form. Applying minerals in the form of fertilizer to food plots presents no risk to deer and improves the food they eat. Mineral supplementation is effective when diet is restricted. That is the case for livestock and penned deer, but not for free ranging deer. So, the most cost effective application of minerals in my opinion is applying them as needed to plant life because we know we can benefit deer by increasing quality food during stress periods.

The old saying of QDM is plug the lowest hole in your herd's bucket. Minerals are never the lowest hole or limiting factor for the herd. I'd say, use mineral supplements if it makes you feel better and feeling better is the benefit you will get. The cost is low and the risks are not great in most places (but may be in some). If you are looking to benefit the deer herd, mineral supplements are not the ticket.

Thanks,

Jack