Rain...

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I know it’s the middle of winter but we’re getting 5 to 6 inches of rain this week in central Missouri. There’s of course always danger of flooding with that much rain but we’ve had virtually no real precipitation all winter and we were in near drought conditions last fall. They’ve been calling it a drought all winter. It’s kind of nice having a little water in the area. It sure can’t hurt even if it’s not growing season.

The drought maps sure look pretty serious for a lot of you folks. Glad to know some of you will get some relief. Our tiles were still running a couple weeks ago, and this rain event will cause bad erosion as the ground is frozen. Knock on wood, it doesn't seem to have the moisture in it thus far they predicted.

drought.png

You can blame me for the drought. I built a pond in July and since then I hav had no rain to fill it. It’s just my luck.

Very little precipitation at my farm this winter. I can't believe the lack of snow. Maybe 5 inches total all winter.

I've got a 16ac bottomland field under water at the moment. Though it's on the way down now, the river has been at flood stage for several days and the ground is completely saturated. We've had way too much rain any more that falls will likely bring the river right back up again. We haven't even reached the time for spring rains and already have localized flooding.

So is this rain actually of any benefit while we still have frozen ground? Seems we just lost all moisture (snow and rain) as it's now ruining away to watersheds. I'm no farmer but have been told that farmers are cautious of which direction they plow fields to trap and hold water rather that it run off. Seems that the cover crop fields lose this advantage as all water flows off. Note this train of thought is in relation to ag lands, obviously any swamps or ponds will gain water

We had an ice storm with thunder and lightning this morning. That doesn’t happen often.

Cover crops are planted mainly for nutrient cycling, soil building, and erosion prevention. Tilled fields will loose more topsoil than un-tilled fields no matter which direction the fields are tilled.

I heard it thunder twice at my house in South Central Wisconsin this AM while it rained outside. At least that rain washed off all the ice that had accumulated on the tree branches overnight. Definitely strange weather times. My driveway right now is a sheet of ice.

We could use a shot of rain, but not in the form of snow.

Most of the duck sloughs/muskrat marshes an lakes in general are down.

We already had a full water table, rain right now is worthless here it just heads to the Mississippi and Great Lakes. I so wish I could get this rain in mid to late July!

Yep in Kansas finally got rain but came the ice right after

Reactions: ATP
My garage door had to be chipped out. More ice coming tomorrow.2BAEDDC4-E669-4B89-B923-46C05EA50322.jpeg13C7C6FB-1852-404A-A678-9FB1AAA18743.jpeg09EDCAFD-F138-4EC1-BFF4-AA3CB40F8181.jpeg

Where are you located at ksgobbler? That looks like a bad ice storm.

We just went through the same Ice storm where I live. Not to far N they got snow and not to far south it was rain. We were in a narrow band and got hammered with ice. I would have loved to get a few to several inches of snow instead. It sure makes snaring the yotes much easier!!

We are pretty dry here in my part of Ga but nothing compared to last year, we are suppose to get some rain this week and are looking at highs near 80 several days this week too. Very odd weather indeed!!

Eastern KS. We were due, haven’t had a nasty ice storm since early 2000s here. Getting ready to leave for work and scared my car won’t make it up the slight incline of my driveway to get out.

Well, wouldn’t you just know it- 20 pounds of cave-in-rock shows up today to frost seed, and I’ve got 65 degrees and 5” of rain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife just called she is stuck in the driveway. I told her to just leave the car and take my truck. Said she slid down the slope a bit and that’s all she wrote.