Raccoon trapping

I was using a .22 handgun but I’m a horrible shot and had to go back to a .17 Mach 2 rifle.

I was thinking a 22 pistol with a micro reddot

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I use a 80 year old Winchester bolt action .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 22 subsonic from a pistol. 5 cents a round. One shot and down between the ears.

What are people's preferred dispatch weapon? I've just been using a 17hmr because it's always in the cabin closet for groundhogs

. 22 LR to the top of the head. I prefer a small rifle.

Youth model .22 rifle. Super easy to get in and out of the truck.

What are people's preferred dispatch weapon? I've just been using a 17hmr because it's always in the cabin closet for groundhogs

I use a 22 subsonic from a pistol. 5 cents a round. One shot and down between the ears.

Shearwood,
As I reflected on your question, I want to expand on my response. Ethical hunters and trappers share the goal of an ethical, quick dispatch of the game or predator. After trapping hundreds of predators over the years I somewhat forgot those early seasons when I did not get a one shot kill. After several disappointing results with a 22LR, I changed to a 12G (back when rounds were 10 cents each). That was great for trapping at the cabin, which was a remote property where I took 6-10 coons per year. And while that worked great, it was loud and heavy. I transitioned to a 410 handgun, which was effective, but still loud and even more expensive.

I went back to the 22LR when I started trapping our current property. With neighbors nearby, I needed to mitigate the noise. Subsonic 22LR rounds with good shot placement was the key. I now take my time to ensure a quick and human dispatch. I tend to shoot "between the ears" but need to explain this better. I shoot in a line from one ear to the other, aiming at the lower part of the ear and slightly down. This ensures a quick dispatch, with little or no muscle twitching movement, which is never fun to watch.

The subsonic are much quieter from the pistol than a traditional round, and are even better from a rifle...I just like to convenience of the pistol.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 7.11.48 AM.png

Shearwood,
As I reflected on your question, I want to expand on my response. Ethical hunters and trappers share the goal of an ethical, quick dispatch of the game or predator. After trapping hundreds of predators over the years I somewhat forgot those early seasons when I did not get a one shot kill. After several disappointing results with a 22LR, I changed to a 12G (back when rounds were 10 cents each). That was great for trapping at the cabin, which was a remote property where I took 6-10 coons per year. And while that worked great, it was loud and heavy. I transitioned to a 410 handgun, which was effective, but still loud and even more expensive.

I went back to the 22LR when I started trapping our current property. With neighbors nearby, I needed to mitigate the noise. Subsonic 22LR rounds with good shot placement was the key. I now take my time to ensure a quick and human dispatch. I tend to shoot "between the ears" but need to explain this better. I shoot in a line from one ear to the other, aiming at the lower part of the ear and slightly down. This ensures a quick dispatch, with little or no muscle twitching movement, which is never fun to watch.

The subsonic are much quieter from the pistol than a traditional round, and are even better from a rifle...I just like to convenience of the pistol.

View attachment 51779
Very much appreciated, this is my first year trapping and it's something that's very easily done with my young kids because it holds there attention as we check the 6 traps I currently have. Letting them pick the locations to place them starts to teach them about terrain and looking for tracks or sign. A quick dispatch is very important when teaching them about the humane ethical aspect of hunting as I make sure they understand that we are trapping only to provide balance and not because I dislike racoons. I have more racoons than turkeys and after buying the land did not see a single turkey poult over the summer with the hens that I saw.

I've had a very very large ones that seemed to suck up well placed rounds but the last few I was dispatching very close to where you described and that's what worked best.

This ensures a quick dispatch, with little or no muscle twitching movement, which is never fun to watch

This was a big issue for me early on. I tried shooting them in the lungs so they didn't twitch, but you could see the raccoons suffering for those few seconds before they expired. My grandfather told me to throw the entire trap in a pond, and that was a horrible experience. In the end I went back to the top of the head, because even though they may kick and roll around, they are not suffering.

Reactions: 356
I use a .22LR for the country (much more difficult to make the daily round trip to trap nowadays) and a .22 caliber airgun for the city. Both get the job done without any issue.

These two 'coons have been showing up on the camera by the barn-cat feeder and chicken coop. One has been coming on our deck and shows no fear of humans. It took a couple of tries, but both were trapped last night!

PICT0493_20230511121981Nuz.jpeg

Alot of the guys that trap around here alot are selling skulls for more than the hide.I have pretty well quit using dog proofs and went to 220 conibears with a bucket or box set.caught 26 this year with no more than 3 sets a night and usually only couple nights a week

Had horses years ago, we kept feed in garbage cans. Once in a while a coon would start knocking the lid off and jumping down in the can to eat. A 330 belisle super x laid in the can, on top of the feed, will flat wreck lives.

Edit: don't forget! My ex-wife had to help take a 220 off my right hand, she was laughing her ass off the entire time!

Last edited:
Here you can't set a 330 above the water line.A 220 is the easiest way to trap coons for sure.I have used wooden boxes and buckets.They both work.I hope we open up spring trapping

I've used a Belisle 220 in a tapered box with great success.

Put my traps out for tonight and now a monsoon is going through. Don’t think my dog food is water proof 😂. Maybe the soft mush will be liked by the coons.

Put my traps out for tonight and now a monsoon is going through. Don’t think my dog food is water proof 😂. Maybe the soft mush will be liked by the coons.
Ironically, I've had a couple of instances of putting out the DPs with cat food, only to think I wasted time. Apparently, raccoons like soft mush, as I've bagged them after pretty strong rains. Good luck...we still have 10 days before season starts.

Put a golf ball on top of the dog proof,it will keep it alot drier.I have almost switched to buckets and 220 conibears.Hopefully they will open spring season in Kansas next year

They just opened year around in Iowa. I’ve cut the bottom of popcans to cover DPs. Works great to keep mice and rain out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk