Raccoon trapping

My boy and I this weekend pulled out of driveway of the new farm and at the bridge of the creek on the farm we could see we thought a 1/2 dozen turkeys when we got a bit closer the coons where jumping off the bridge to get out of the road. It was comical.

Was up at my place this past weekend. Got another one 😀

Question: Does racoons have territories like coyotes? For instance, when a coyote is killed or moves from a territory another coyote will move in due the territory being vacant. Is that the same with raccoons?
According to the Missouri Department of Conservation, most daily movements of raccoons are within a small area called a "home range." Males normally have home ranges no larger than 2 to 3 square miles while female ranges do not exceed 1 to 2 square miles. The home range of juvenile raccoons are usually less than one square mile. The normal density is 1 coon per 30-40 acres (about 20 per sq. mile).

I recall reading an article about this, and the response was that if you remove a raccoon, another will take its territory. The same article suggested that population control was possible due to the short average life of a raccoon (1 to 2 years).

It will be interesting to see how this seasons raccoon trapping will impact next seasons density and turkey poult recruitment.

According to the Missouri Department of Conservation, most daily movements of raccoons are within a small area called a "home range." Males normally have home ranges no larger than 2 to 3 square miles while female ranges do not exceed 1 to 2 square miles. The home range of juvenile raccoons are usually less than one square mile. The normal density is 1 coon per 30-40 acres (about 20 per sq. mile).

I recall reading an article about this, and the response was that if you remove a raccoon, another will take its territory. The same article suggested that population control was possible due to the short average life of a raccoon (1 to 2 years).

It will be interesting to see how this seasons raccoon trapping will impact next seasons density and turkey poult recruitment.
I figured coons were similar to yotes and it explains why I catch more males than females. Never knew a male's home range was larger. I only trap from February to July, right before turkey season and right after eggs have hatched. Don't see the point in trapping any other time, if more are just going to "move in". Put a dent in them during that crucial time for nests then get ready to do it next February.... A never ending cycle!!!

...Put a dent in them during that crucial time for nests then get ready to do it next February.... A never ending cycle!!!
I primarily started trapping to help with poult recruitment and to mitigate damage to our cabin...it definitely helped both. Now that we have chickens, I have an additional reason to keep the population in check! I'm up to 59 since June, and I am only trapping 2 of the 85 acres one or two days per week. These things are a pestilence!

Wish we could trap raccoons year round.I talked to my trapping buddy and he said what buyers are telling him is skunks,beavers and castors are all they are buying.He will trap coons but just to sell skulls.Said he won't trap yotes and he usually gets around 150 a year

Wish we could trap raccoons year round.I talked to my trapping buddy and he said what buyers are telling him is skunks,beavers and castors are all they are buying.He will trap coons but just to sell skulls.Said he won't trap yotes and he usually gets around 150 a year
Here in Missouri our trapping season has just been extended to April. As with other nuisance critters (skunks, 'coons, 'possums, coyotes, squirrels....), if they are causing issues, permission may be granted to catch out of season. Once season opens this winter, I plan on expanding from the 2 acre area where they get into the trash and chicken coop to the full 85 acres.

Either the cold weather or my trapping efforts have lowered the local raccoon activity. I no longer have much success on a quick one night setup and trail cameras always have more sightings on warm nights.

Reactions: 356
I started talking to our G&F about 8 yrs ago about expanding trapping season year round and their objection was the waste of fur value during summer trapping. Even most of our winter caught fur down here had no market - so their’s was an invalid argument. About five years ago, they finally saw the light and started offering a free predator control permit for trapping year round on private land.

There isn't ANY market for coon. Even prime MN coon isn't worth anything.

Raccoon Number 60 is down around our coop area since June…I had just one trap set by the chicken coop for one night after being gone for a week and trapped a large male. I am seeing more on camera. Once season starts, I will set traps around the property to reduce predation of turkey and quail eggs this spring.

Now that I have a few days at home and firearms season is over, I set nine raccoon traps last night and dispatched two 'coons this morning, bringing the 'coon harvest total on the 2 acres to 62 since June. I've quite a few on cameras, so more are out there! Between now and April 14 (Missouri's private land season) I plan to put out a few new traps outside of the 2 acre "chicken coop" area to help with spring poult recruitment.

Now that I have a few days at home and firearms season is over, I set nine raccoon traps last night and dispatched two 'coons this morning, bringing the 'coon harvest total on the 2 acres to 62 since June. I've quite a few on cameras, so more are out there! Between now and April 14 (Missouri's private land season) I plan to put out a few new traps outside of the 2 acre "chicken coop" area to help with spring poult recruitment.
I’m blown away by those numbers on 2 acres. It’s shocking and scary how many of those things are running around

I’m blown away by those numbers on 2 acres. It’s shocking and scary how many of those things are running around
It's like a pestilence! I've been trapping for about 10 years and have never encountered anything like this year's 'coon trapping results--especially given how little time I have to trap. As I expand the trapping to the whole property, it will be interesting to see what happens.

There may not be that many more on 62 acres. There is a big, tailless coon that hits two of my feed locations, sometimes in the same night - and they are right at 800 yards apart. Pretty sure he is a big boar. Female may not travel as far.

Reactions: 356
Incredible. I haven't had one on camera for a while now that the cold has settled in. Once they start showing up in spring I'll get back on them. The giant flock of 50+ turkeys I've been watching the last few days may be a product of my trapping this year, at least that's what I'm telling myself 😜.

There may not be that many more on 62 acres. There is a big, tailless coon that hits two of my feed locations, sometimes in the same night - and they are right at 800 yards apart. Pretty sure he is a big boar. Female may not travel as far.
Raccoons #63 and 64 now gone on the 2 acres. If I have time, I'll start placing traps on some of the other parts of the property.

What do you all do with your carcasses? I put them under fruit trees for a while... but it turns out the wife doesn't approve of that method.

They go into the "back 40" where after a couple of days there is not much left other than some stray bones.

Trapped a skunk last night 220 body hold omg about burned my olfactory nerve out of my nose this morning trying to release him from the trap. Threw away gloves, threw clothes in washer took a shower and could still smell skunk all the to KC. I should of snapped a photo almost all white coloration.