Raccoon trapping

Was all of the bait gone in the tube or just some? Squirrels will grab everything on the ground and the first inch or so into the dog proof trap.
Everything in the tube and from on the ground was gone

Happens pretty often. They don’t always set off the trigger. Keep refilling it and they will come back.

I'm back from a week of meetings, so will be setting the traps tonight. I am still getting pictures of multiple 'coons and 'possums around the chicken coop, which is clean and dry. Peeps, as for the empty traps, these seems to happen periodically to me as well...smart 'coons are a good excuse (and the one I use), but I have found certain traps seem to have more issues, including one that is empty 50% of the time. I was tempted to toss it, but it still catches 'coons, just not as often. I've not found a tweak or solution, but I also noted this trap is harder to set than some of the others.

One 'coon today, and two this week, but I am still getting pictures of nocturnal 'coons by the chicken coop...just not as many. I am really liking the Tailfin R-Trap Dog Proof Traps I started running two weeks ago. Since I am gone three or four days each week, being able to easily unset the trap is a bonus. As the ground dries out, I am really beginning to NOT like the Wolf Creek Diablo's due to the U shaped ground stake, plus they don't seem to trigger as well as the push-pull Tailfin. I have more empty Diablo's than I do Minnesota Trapline, Duke and Tailfin dog proof traps.

Buddy of mine says the coons eat his Golden Malrin he puts out for flys he finds them dead occasionally that maybe the connection between flys and coons.

Buddy of mine says the coons eat his Golden Malrin he puts out for flys he finds them dead occasionally that maybe the connection between flys and coons.
i think golden malrin changed their formula or something because that's what people were using it for. back in the day we used to put mt dew and malrin out by our corn piles and drop those puppies like flies (statute of limitiations, if the DNR is watching, this was decades ago)

Then it stopped being effective.

It’s been changed - similar to coolant- due to the trail of dead it had left with/without intention. The new stuff is blue or green?

Pork rinds are another good one for dp traps, wrapping leg hold pans w foil for creek sets works great too.

Any of you smart guys figure how to make a trap maybe something like the bucket mouse trap so you could catch multiple

Reactions: 356
Put out the traps last night around the chicken coop and had two 'possums and one raccoon. Since I am out of town five night per week, my trapping is limited, but we are making progress. 10 possums and 52 raccoons since mid-May on the two acres around the chicken run.

Put out the traps last night around the chicken coop and had two 'possums and one raccoon. Since I am out of town five night per week, my trapping is limited, but we are making progress. 10 possums and 52 raccoons since mid-May on the two acres around the chicken run.
That is absolutely crazy!

I had one more raccoon and one possum from one day of management this week. I am still getting more on the cameras, but not anywhere close to the hoards from earlier in the year. I am thankful to be in a state that allows year-round predator control around the chicken coop and house. Current count is 53 'coons and 11 'possums. I also noticed the chickens now come out of the coop immediately when the door opens...in the spring and summer they stayed in until 9-10 am. No way of knowing for sure if this change is related to the predator control, but it seems likely.

I've been slacking (meaning, only setting a few traps for one day on the weekends) but did end up with a large female raccoon today. Unfortunately, I have one 'coon on the "chicken coop cam" that I can't seem to trap using either dog proofs or cages. I may need to change up the bait, so I'll post the results next week.

Raccoons 55, 56, 57, 58 (and now 59) down, plus another 'possum making that number an even dozen. We lost another chicken to something (no feathers or carcass, so it was likely an owl or eagle). Two chickens are laying outside the hen house and those eggs were predated by a coon that is likely included in the above numbers. As the leaves drop, we have to reduce the chicken run area from 1 acre to about 1/10 acre to reduce owl/eagle losses. Hopefully this will reduce the 'coon problem (as will the reduction in numbers), as the 'coons enter the chicken run through the trees. The downside is increased feed during a season of reduced egg production.

Last edited:
I swear coons are like mice, they reproduce like crazy! I’ve killed about 60 in two years in suburbia! I hate them things

It’s been changed - similar to coolant- due to the trail of dead it had left with/without intention.

Snail bait still works. Works on coyotes also. Not that I've ever tried, I heard it from a friend who heard from his friends, friend, I think.

efe5230e5d03a824c77b62cdecad2012.jpg

Typical night at the water hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raccoons 55, 56 and 57 (and 58) down, plus another 'possum making that number an even dozen.
Thank you for keeping us posted bud, we are all rooting for you!
I don't have much for coons but have Red Foxes up the ying yang.

Reactions: 356
Question: Does racoons have territories like coyotes? For instance, when a coyote is killed or moves from a territory another coyote will move in due the territory being vacant. Is that the same with racoons?