Question - newly started Burr Oaks

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I started some Burr Oaks from acorns gathered last fall. One of the trees is growing taller, the other two have reached the same height and seemed to have stopped. Anything to be concerned about or that I need to do? First time starting oaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are the started trees.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 24
When are you going to plant them ?

Oaks are fairly tough to grow in pots because they have a strong root leader. I have learned your best best is to start them in deep pots (8-12 inches) and then get them in the ground as soon as possible.

Your seedlings actually look great. I would try and get them in the ground as soon as you can and then make sure they don't dry out. If you can't plant them until the fall, plant them right as the leaves are dropping or before the ground freezes. I had around 100% success last year with trees planted in middle of November in Missouri and had 100% mortality with trees planted in late December.

The bur oaks I have grown usually have tap roots twice as long as their above ground growth. As stated, try to transplant them ASAP into deeper pots 18-20" in height. Putting them into the ground in their final home would be better if you can water them over the summer. If you have been keeping them on the porch, gradually introduce them to more sunlight. Otherwise you will scorch them if put them out into the sun full time.

Oaks are fairly tough to grow in pots because they have a strong root leader. I have learned your best best is to start them in deep pots (8-12 inches) and then get them in the ground as soon as possible.

Your seedlings actually look great. I would try and get them in the ground as soon as you can and then make sure they don't dry out. If you can't plant them until the fall, plant them right as the leaves are dropping or before the ground freezes. I had around 100% success last year with trees planted in middle of November in Missouri and had 100% mortality with trees planted in late December.
What if I move to 5 gal buckets now than plant in fall. I am too far from the farm to water in this heat.

What if I move to 5 gal buckets now than plant in fall. I am too far from the farm to water in this heat.
Probably a good call. I would put some holes in the bottom of the buckets so the water can drain out.

You may not need to, but inspect the roots when you go to plant them in the fall. If you notice a j hook in the roots considered pruning them above the hook. Right now might also be a good time to inspect the roots as well.

Try root pruning pots/bags instead of solid plastic bags. What are you doing for fertilization? How much sunlight are they getting on a daily basis?

It looks like the deeper pot has more growth.

I would like to add the incorporating native soil in the next repotting is beneficial.

I have a pile of native dirt, miracle grow garden soil, vermiculite. Mix them in the tractor bucket. Then use that mixture for planting/repotting. If you can premix a few weeks before planting I feel that is better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 8
I planted my best in big pots, the middle ground got placed out in the fields that were wet from irrigation.

The stragglers might get repotted if they excel. The others

Addios

U ever tried to get a tree outta a 5 gallon bucket 🪣?

I recommend deep cheap collapsing pots. U can coax em out without a wreck.

But cheap these days aren’t really cheap.

U ever tried to get a tree outta a 5 gallon bucket 🪣?

I recommend deep cheap collapsing pots. U can coax em out without a wreck.

But cheap these days aren’t really cheap.
Valid point as to the bucket! Not the easiest repotting job. I will look for some 7 gal containers at a local nursery. But, if I can’t find any, my buddies and I removed bank vaults from old bank buildings for years and even opened them when the combination had been lost. So between the four of us, I think we will get the tree out. If not, I quit. Lol

Valid point as to the bucket! Not the easiest repotting job. I will look for some 7 gal containers at a local nursery. But, if I can’t find any, my buddies and I removed bank vaults from old bank buildings for years and even opened them when the combination had been lost. So between the four of us, I think we will get the tree out. If not, I quit. Lol
I been using the 3.75 gallon ones.

9 x 4.25 on top

3 inches on bottom

54 ounces

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 9

I have been using the 14 inch version of these pots this year and like them quite a bit. I wish they made the rack much more sturdy though. Two of my racks have already cracked and they were only about a 1/3rd full.

Next year, I am moving to these: https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/collections/plant-pots/products/treepots?variant=42701231685831

I will try the 9 and 14 inch depths to see what works best, and I think the tub for carrying the pots will hold up a little better.

I have tried the root trapper bags for several species (chestnut, oak, persimmon, and hazelnut). You couldn't pay me to grow plants with those bags. They don't really work at preventing root hooking and they end up drying out twice as fast as any other container.

Next year, I am moving to these: https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/collections/plant-pots/products/treepots?variant=42701231685831

I will try the 9 and 14 inch depths to see what works best, and I think the tub for carrying the pots will hold up a little better.
I have used the 14's for quite a few years and they are my preference. My only issue is they take alot of soil and room if you're planting a few hundred.

Here's an American chestnut that I started in one of those square 14's last year.
Checkout the tap!
The picture was June 17 after being started the end of February.

Attachments

• 20230617_105509.jpg
    20230617_105509.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 9