Purple top turnips flowers?

kabic

5 year old buck +
Is this my purple top turnips getting ready to go to seed or yellow rocket? Hopefully I'm going to get it mowed tomorrow regardless. It is thickest where I planted turnips last year, but I also noticed some where i didn't plant but fairly close.

Edit: title :oops:

Last edited:
Probably some of both is my guess.

Looks like yellow rocket to me.

Given that yellow rocket is also a member of the brassica family, it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between it and many other members of the brassica group. It can look very, very similar to wild mustard, and many others. Close inspection of the leaves and flowers can help distinguish it from the other brassicas, but the big picture is that you don't really want any of those plants setting seed in your plot, be it yellow rocket, wild mustard, or ppt.

Just take a look and see if it is growing out of leftover turnips.

yellow rocket

yellow rocket will have a much thicker stem, more like a stalk, while the brassica stems will be much thinner. Looking that the leaves as well as seeing if they are growing from what is left of a bulb will help as well. My left over PTT not only have flowered but have started to create the seed pods already. I see thin stems with flowers in the pic. You may have both, but I see some that appear to be PTT as well.

I assume I had both. The areas I had the turnips were just thick with yellow flowers. The plants in the clover were probably yellow rocket. I would look at the stems to confirm, but they all met the brush hog or weed wacker last night.

Look closely at the flowers. if 4 petals, it is mustard.