purple tint oak leaf and apple/pear cuttings.. (2) questions

jaximus

5 year old buck +
first question is about my oak trees. i started them from acorns in march (i think). had them in small cups to start and then upgraded to bigger containers. mix of top soil and potting mix. the oldest/biggest trees are starting to have a faint purple tint to the leaves by the tips. the camera doesnt pick it up quite as much as it looks in person. ive never grown them before. is that normal?

second question. i pruned my new bare root apple and pear trees before planting. i had a ton of scions left after grafting them on some pieces of crab apple rootstock from trees the city removed to put in new sidewalks. i soaked the scions in rooting hormone and then stuck them into the larger size wafers. they are the tomato size. 2" diameter and they are about 3" tall when fully expanded. the netting around the outside should serve as a nice little airpruner. also, i can start 36 cuttings in a lot less space than most any other way i can think of and also its really inexpensive. the lady friend hates my corner of the kitchen! they are still in the process of being hardened and come inside every night. 11198553_10100270446854197_1600217955_n.jpg
11094522_10100270446744417_1987038830_n.jpg

With regards to the oaks, have you fertilized them at all?

i think it was miracle grow soil, but i cant remember, was stuff i just had laying around. other than the original soil, ive done no fertilization

Use a teeny tiny amount of a liquid soluble fertilizer. By teeny tiny I mean like a quarter of the "recommended" amount.