PTO drive shaft issue

TreeDaddy

5 year old buck +
Anyone ever have issues with the telescope shafts getting stuck?

I am probably the only dumb some beach to have this problem

any thoughts on how to get this "unstuck?"

bill

Sorry

Telescope shaft on a farm implement tiller

bill

Pull apart and look for burs to file off. If bent replace. Assemble with heavy oil or grease and keep moisture off.

Might have to put some heat to it. Like mentioned grease and when you think you have enough on it put some more on. Also make sure to grease it again before putting it away for the winter.

I chained one to the 4 wheeler once and drove it away to get it to come apart.
Not saying that's the brightest idea but it worked in my case. Like stated grease it up afterwards so it doesn't rust together.

I must have gone to the same school as Bill. Not saying it's safe or even good for it, but chain it to something good and stout and then chain the other end to something you can pull with. May try some penetrating type oil to see if that helps as well. Once apart, grease, grease and grease some more.

Funny you asked... I just put my tiller on the tractor last weekend. Couldn't get the shaft to extend for NOTHING.

I put a ratchet strap on it, thought the strap was going to break. Got out a big strap (3" wide) and pulled as hard as I could with the ratchet. Got it to move a little. The plastic guard was in the way, I couldn't see much of the telescoping part of the shaft. I was able to pull a little more with the strap and see the "guts" of it. Sprayed with penetrating oil (I buy it by the gallon these days) and got it moving. Sprayed the heck out of it and it moves great now.

I'll be greasing the PTO shaft this fall I promise!

-John

Think this one just needs grease? :)

20150905_202724-1.jpg

Many thanks for responses

I am now a man on a mission........

bill

It's almost a perfect 120 degrees. That's what happens when you use a class 4 PTO shaft in a Class 7 role. I even managed to bend the Class 7 when my clutches were too tight. I'm on the 3rd PTO shaft, and third clutch for that matter on my grinder.

It's almost a perfect 120 degrees. That's what happens when you use a class 4 PTO shaft in a Class 7 role. I even managed to bend the Class 7 when my clutches were too tight. I'm on the 3rd PTO shaft, and third clutch for that matter on my grinder.

I need to take and post a pics of my mowers gear shaft. Not bent that bad but not loosening the PTO clutch each spring is not a good idea. It still works but it won't take to many more dead stops. :emoji_fearful::emoji_disappointed_relieved:

I chained one to the 4 wheeler once and drove it away to get it to come apart.
Not saying that's the brightest idea but it worked in my case. Like stated grease it up afterwards so it doesn't rust together.

I did something similar. I chained the shaft to a large tree and then put another chain on the other end of the shaft and pulled it apart with the tractor.

Tap

This sounds like my best bet

stay tuned!!

bill

Tap

That worked!!!

Greased that some beach and it works like new

bill

Tap

That worked!!!

Greased that some beach and it works like new

bill
Glad it worked. Just remember that if there is a slight bend or twist in the shaft, it might get stuck again. Mine got slightly stuck a few times after I originally freed it, but I could free it by hand. I assume I'll need to resort to the chain method again, one of these days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk