Pruning fruit trees

I dip my shears in alcohol and then wipe them with a clean towel. Never had any kind if issues.

Will the alcohol not harm the tree when pruning it with alcohol on the shears?
Alcohol evaporates rather quickly so it shouldn’t be any problem. I wipe my hive tools down with it between different hives in the yard and it doesn’t bother the bees

I don't think I am to the stage most of you are at quite yet (most trees just planted last year) but was wondering what kind of shears you all are using? I will probably need to start pruning in earnest next year and I do have a few mature trees that are definitely overgrown and need some help. Thanks for this post it has been really educational!

I wish we could sticky this thread for future references.

I have always used Fiskars pruners but mine are a few years old, so I am not sure if they still have the same high quality standards they used to have. Companies tend to get cheaper as they go.

I use Corona shears and hand pruners. I have been using them for a few years and have held up very nicely.

I have always used Fiskars pruners but mine are a few years old, so I am not sure if they still have the same high quality standards they used to have. Companies tend to get cheaper as they go.
Bought a Fiskars extendable pole saw about 2 years ago. It's really nice. I just use cheapo pruners I got from the bargain bin at Tractor Supply but I only have a few trees to prune. If I had a lot I'd probably invest in something better.

I don't think I am to the stage most of you are at quite yet (most trees just planted last year) but was wondering what kind of shears you all are using? I will probably need to start pruning in earnest next year and I do have a few mature trees that are definitely overgrown and need some help. Thanks for this post it has been really educational!
Felco hand prunners. High quality and they hold a good edge.

I use Fiskars, but they do have a cheaper model, and a quality model, I broke the cheaper model in 1 season. The better model made it through last winters trimming, and seems much better quality.

I use Fiskars pruners and saw. I don't abuse them, and they have lasted several years.

I use Felco #2 pruners for most of my pruning with a silky fine tooth hand saw. I also have a Fiskars pole puner with rotating head for limbs I can’t get to with the others.

Felco #8 hand pruners are my favorite. I have 2 pair of loppers - one of which is a Fiskars. I also use a Silky Zubat hand saw for larger stuff.

Don’t wait til next year to start training and pruning. I start the same day I plant the tree. Within 2-3 years the training phase is pretty much done but you will need to keep pruning apple trees forever.

Last edited:
I asked and they answered. Lotta votes for Felco 2 & 8. I chose 8 and like them!

Elaine’s mother has a pair of Felco #2’s that she bought many years ago. She uses them primarily in her flower and veggie gardens and just loves them. They are nice but I prefer the Felco #8’s for orchard work. I dont abuse them and I keep them (as well as my loppers) sharp with a Workmate sharpener.

Elaine’s mother has a pair of Felco #2’s that she bought many years ago. She uses them primarily in her flower and veggie gardens and just loves them. They are nice but I prefer the Felco #8’s for orchard work. I dont abuse them and I keep them (as well as my loppers) sharp with a Workmate sharpener.

I have had a pair of Felco 8's for over 25 years. Still work like they are new. Just need to put a little Wd40 on them and sharpen occasionally.

Spent Sunday pruning 40 fruit trees in the orchard

Armed with felco 2,Silky Zubat, fiskars loppers

Followed basic principle learned from above posts

Pruned watersprouts,suckers, dead branches,crossing and inward growing branches

Off to a good start!!

bill

I don't have anything to add. Just want this thread to pop up when people add to it. I've tried to prune trees before and they have ended up looking like monstrosities. I have some plum trees I need to prune back a lot this year due to black knot. Anyone know how they should be pruned for shape, since I have to cut them back to almost to a stub to get rid of all of the fungus. I'll take some pics next time I'm out if that helps. They're not american plums. I can't think of what they are off the top of my head, but I'll check next time I'm out.
Here are two of my poor plum trees. These are the worst of them. Going to have to cut them way back. The one would've had a decent fruit last year.

plum1.jpgplum2.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions! Is there an advantage to either the Felco 2,5 or 8? Is the size or limbs that can be handled just larger/smaller?
I am really unfamiliar with all of these tools. Thanks!

Felco #2 hand pruners and Stihl loppers for bigger limbs are my weapons of choice.
Felco #8's are designed ergonomically for better "hand feel - more leverage" than the original Felco #2's. Not familiar with the #5 model.

Apparently there is a difference between European and American terminology, and I misspoke earlier. The pruners I use are simple Gardena hand pruners. The loppers I use are Fiskars, specifically the L78 model.

I'll add that I've managed to break a lot of loppers and pruners in the past, by forcing them to do jobs they couldn't handle. This can happen even with the highest quality tools. I'm careful now to use the right tool for the job, an everything works very well for its intended purpose.