Price for cob corn

I didn't buy any but I found some advertised for $120 a ton. Given the scarcity I guess it will sell for whatever the market will bear. I'm not sure what the equivalent shelled bushels might be, but I put a swag to it and it probably relates to $6.50 to $7.50 a bushel shelled.

Oops. Persist. Above all else, keep looking!

The standard weight of 70 pounds of ear corn (or 2-1/2 cubic feet by volume) is usually recognized as being that weight of corn, husked, and on the ear required to yield 56 pounds (1 bushel) of shelled corn. A bushel of shell corn occupies a space of 1-1/4 cubic feet.

2000 lbs divided by 70 lbs = 28.57 bushels. $120 a ton divided by 28.57 bushels = $4.20 a bushel. Did I do that right?

So, to continue my math fetish, Let's assume a pickup bed 4 x 4 x 6 1/2 feet = 104 cu ft divided by 2 1/2 cu ft = 42 bu multiplied by $4.20 a bushel = $176.40

But, do your own math. That it is (one of) my sins doesn't mean I'm good at it!

View attachment 21033

Yes, math is accurate. The $120 a ton for cob corn is equal to $7.50 for 100 pounds of shelled corn. The only thing I question is the size of the pickup bed. A full size pickup bed 8 foot, is 2.5 cubic yards level at the top. That is 67.5 cubic feet. Sure you can pile a little on top but I am not sure you are going to get 104 cubic feet.

Either way $120 a ton is a good price. When I figured my price I did not figure filling a ton in the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk