Price for cob corn

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
For you guys that can put out corn, what price do you pay for it. In one of my states it goes for $150 a pickup truck load. I am not buying, but am thinking about selling some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea.... nobody in my area picks corn any more. It's all chopped for silage or run thru the combine and shelled.

Rural King (retail store) has 12 pounds of "squirrel corn" for $6......

Squirrel corn, good one! I bet only sold in the fall?

I buy field corn on the cob to feed the birds and squirrels at my house. It is $3 a bag. It is a large white jute type bag that holds 100 pounds of shell corn at the mill. I buy the corn right out of a farmers corn crib. I figure the bags weigh about 75 pounds each depending on how much they are filled. I have a hand cranked corn sheller that makes quick work out of a shelling a bag. I spread it on the ground and also put some cobs on duplex nails on a tree for the squirrels.

I might add that this farmer is unique in that he picks his corn on the cob. It is nearly impossible to find it that way anymore as everyone picks it with combines. He has a small herd of cattle and likes to grind and mix his own feed for them. I have been getting corn from him for many years for the same price and dread the day when he passes.

I have been doing this for years and it is a legitimate use for bird and squirrel feeding, which is something I enjoy as a hobby.

Last edited:
I didn't buy any but I found some advertised for $120 a ton. Given the scarcity I guess it will sell for whatever the market will bear. I'm not sure what the equivalent shelled bushels might be, but I put a swag to it and it probably relates to $6.50 to $7.50 a bushel shelled.

Oops. Persist. Above all else, keep looking!

The standard weight of 70 pounds of ear corn (or 2-1/2 cubic feet by volume) is usually recognized as being that weight of corn, husked, and on the ear required to yield 56 pounds (1 bushel) of shelled corn. A bushel of shell corn occupies a space of 1-1/4 cubic feet.

2000 lbs divided by 70 lbs = 28.57 bushels. $120 a ton divided by 28.57 bushels = $4.20 a bushel. Did I do that right?

So, to continue my math fetish, Let's assume a pickup bed 4 x 4 x 6 1/2 feet = 104 cu ft divided by 2 1/2 cu ft = 42 bu multiplied by $4.20 a bushel = $176.40

But, do your own math. That it is (one of) my sins doesn't mean I'm good at it!

corn.jpg

Last edited:
Squirrel corn, good one! I bet only sold in the fall?
What? You wouldn't be implying that folks would be buying "bait" and hunting over it would you? the shelves here are stocked full of every bait concoction you can think of (even though it's against the law to bait here....feeding is legal). Those shelves will stay stocked and then about mid november (when our firearms season opens) - it vanishes...like it was never there. looks like the aftermath of "when the grinch stole X-mas"! I'd love to see a conservation officer sitting in the parking lot and taking down plate numbers!

Unfortunately in my county, they made baiting legal again. I’m not a fan.

If you go to a feed store in this area, it will be between $5-$6 per 50 lb bag for shelled. We went grocery shopping in Wally World today and I noticed that it was $8 for 40 lbs there.

Since it is legal here to bait, a lot is sold. It's a big market for feed stores in the fall.

Edit: just now noticed you said cob corn. Don't know about that.

My only question is are you feeding cattle or deer hunting?

Why would a hunter dump a pickup truck of corn to hunt deer? :emoji_thinking::emoji_rolling_eyes::emoji_confused:

Around here shelled is about $11-12/ 100#

I have a buddy who bought a pickup load for $85. I don't know down to the pound what "1 pickup load" converts to in bushels or pounds, haha

Last edited:
I just bought 3 bushels of cob corn.
The day before yesterday.
For the squirrel feeder at the house.
Honest.

I paid my neighbor $10 for it.
And got a ride around his field as he combined soys. (was getting 65 to 74 bu/Ac per the monitor .....which was absolutely terrific.)

I think the corn deal is a good deal.
Now, to be sure, I now hafta go out to his nearby field of standing corn and pick my 3 bushels.
I'm still cool with it.

Paid him that same $10 price for 3 bu. for years.
And when I see him and his wife in Florida January.....he uses my $10 to buy the first round of Yuengling.

Cool with that too.

(btw, a bushel of shelled corn in his market the other day was about $3.20)

Three guys in walmart yesterday loaded a cart with 5 bags of 'apple flavored' corn at $12 a bag. They didn't think it was funny when I told them Tractor Supply next door sells 'corn flavored' corn for $7. Too each his own I guess.

Three guys in walmart yesterday loaded a cart with 5 bags of 'apple flavored' corn at $12 a bag. They didn't think it was funny when I told them Tractor Supply next door sells 'corn flavored' corn for $7. Too each his own I guess.

"a fool and his gold are soon parted"
-Apostle Paul, maybe-

Honest.

And got a ride around his field as he combined soys. (was getting 65 to 74 bu/Ac per the monitor .....which was absolutely terrific.)

Now, to be sure, I now hafta go out to his nearby field of standing corn and pick my 3 bushels.
I'm still cool with it.

And when I see him and his wife in Florida January.....he uses my $10 to buy the first round of Yuengling.

Cool with that too.

74 bu/acre @$3.20 OUCH. Sounds like a BIG net loss to me.

My dad has been know to feed corn to his cattle for the sake of patty decomposition. This is for real! Some of the corn doesn't digest and ends up in patties... at which time birds and other varmits scratch the patties apart and cause them to decompose quicker. It's a slick trick to return nutrients to the soil quicker and end up with less dried up clumps in the pasture. Sorry for the randomness of this post, I was just reading through and thought I would throw it out there.

Down here its been legal to bait for the last 20yrs or so..Cob corn usually runs $9/bag but depending on the year & harvest,it has got up to $16 a bag.. Still gets sold.

Honest.

I'm still cool with it.

Cool with that too.

74 bu/acre @$3.20 OUCH. Sounds like a BIG net loss to me.

That’s the corn price. Beans are ~$8.50 or a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad has been know to feed corn to his cattle for the sake of patty decomposition. This is for real! Some of the corn doesn't digest and ends up in patties... at which time birds and other varmits scratch the patties apart and cause them to decompose quicker. It's a slick trick to return nutrients to the soil quicker and end up with less dried up clumps in the pasture. Sorry for the randomness of this post, I was just reading through and thought I would throw it out there.

On e very cold and snowy late January I watched 100's of Mallard ducks descend on a cattle feedlot to scarf up yellow gold from cow patties. I guess if the weather is rough enough, and you are hungry enough, you'll gobble down some pretty rank chit! But hey, I've seen Mallards puddle in water containing some things I wouldn't ingest either. Sure fun to hunt though.

Well looks like my market is about $125 for an 8 foot bed and $100 for a 6 foot bed pickup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm paying 16 bucks a 100 lbs of shelled corn off friends that farm, I take out of there silo when needed?
However I just picked up about 600 lbs of spilled corn off a OOP's while emptying a combine into a truck , got it for free!, just had to shovel it, and then clean it out some
I don't place corn out for hunting, just to see critters in teh back yard when temps get bad AFTER deer season is over here!
NOT trying to help anyone or get anyone a fine if they get caught too close to my place!

some thing to keep in mind when selling corn, the LOCATION of where your at matters a bunch, or always has from my experience
larger farm area's its always been cheaper to buy for me! larger tracked forested area with few farms, I used to pay a lot more for it, than at my place, about a 100 mile apart, and about 8+10 bucks a 100 lbs difference in price!